The Body Shop TECH General questions that don't fit in any other forum

Old 02-24-2024, 01:21 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default AMD & Auto City Classics any differences?

I need a windshield and back glass for my 66, and I've read that glass from Auto City Classics is somewhat thinner than OEM. Anyone have experience on this? Is AMD selling the same glass as ACC or their own?

Old 02-24-2024, 02:44 PM
Ultimate Warrior

If rear glass or side glass is FACTORY TINTED, I'd search out very nice original tinted glass.
The replacement tinted glass from every catalogue or restoration parts vendor that I've ran across in the last several years sells the same junk, just follow any of these freshly "restored" late 60's early 70's puppymill builds. With the sun hitting the back glass, you will see an odd rainbow effect. On the windshields, every new ordered one I've touched for the last 15 years has been thinner. Not really something that has bothered me, I wish the front tint bands were exactly like original LOF windshields from that era, but oh well

Old 02-24-2024, 02:50 PM
Ultimate Warrior

just ordered a date coded LOF from ACC for my 67
A friend just picked it up for me so havent seen it.
Its tinted and shaded like the OEM.

The Following User Says Thank You to Cammer-6 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-24-2024, 04:07 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'ol Pinion head View Post
If rear glass or side glass is FACTORY TINTED, I'd search out very nice original tinted glass.
The replacement tinted glass from every catalogue or restoration parts vendor that I've ran across in the last several years sells the same junk, just follow any of these freshly "restored" late 60's early 70's puppymill builds. With the sun hitting the back glass, you will see an odd rainbow effect. On the windshields, every new ordered one I've touched for the last 15 years has been thinner. Not really something that has bothered me, I wish the front tint bands were exactly like original LOF windshields from that era, but oh well
To me, today's old car climate isn't really that good, parts are hard to find, expensive, and seldom fit without some tweaking, I built better quality cars in the eighties, using nice used or GM NOS parts back then. I need a tinted rear glass, and have found a few, but shipping seems to be the snag, either it's too high, or can't depend on the seller to pack it correctly to prevent having diamonds. Thanks for you input!

Old 02-24-2024, 04:09 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cammer-6 View Post
just ordered a date coded LOF from ACC for my 67
A friend just picked it up for me so havent seen it.
Its tinted and shaded like the OEM.
Let us know how it turns out, Thanks!

Old 02-24-2024, 05:00 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I have a replacement windshield from Auto City Classics in my car, I don't recall that it was any thinner than the original. However, it was put in over 20 years ago so I can't comment on what they sell today.

The Following User Says Thank You to Stuart For This Useful Post: