Old 02-22-2004, 08:12 AM

Was there any bright work ie: chrome/mylar/aluminum, on the plastic grilles on the 67 Catalina-Ventura-Executive?

Old 02-22-2004, 08:12 AM

Was there any bright work ie: chrome/mylar/aluminum, on the plastic grilles on the 67 Catalina-Ventura-Executive?

Old 03-06-2004, 06:33 PM

My '67 Cat is very original with only 20,000 miles on the clock but it is a base model with no options. Its grills are plain with only silver painted ribs. I have the front clip from a '67 bonne that was well optioned and its grill is the same way. I assume none of them had any trim on the grill itself.

Old 03-06-2004, 06:52 PM

Thank You Bah. I have mine cleaned up and have found the correct color silver paint for them. Just have to shoot them and install.

Old 03-07-2004, 09:52 AM

Hello Edward, what is the correct color you found? I would like to do grilles on my '67 GP, should be same silver (argent) color. Joe.

Old 03-07-2004, 04:45 PM

Hello Joe

I went to Tri City Paint and they looked it up for me as well as the correct burgandy color for my upper dash. The color for the grill is DDL-32930. Its called dark grey but in fact its a sort of translucent silver. Will probebly tale several light coats. Since the grills are original and the black plastic is weathering to a lighter color, I am going to re-paint the black also. Not sure yet if I will go gloss or semi gloss black. I'm sure its going to be a nightmare masking it off though. Any comments on the gloss/semi gloss would be appreciated.
By the way, this grey also looks like the color on the tail lights in front of the lens.

Ed

Old 03-08-2004, 07:17 PM

The color for the grill is DDL-32930. Its called dark grey but in fact its a sort of translucent silver.
Hello Ed, what brand is that? As to your black Question, I would vote for flat black. I share your concerns about masking, I think they must have had cardboard templates to throw on at factory. 3M makes a "fine Line tape i'm going to try. I plan to spray flat black first, mask black off, then spray silver. Joe.

Old 03-08-2004, 09:01 PM

Joe
Its called duracryl. Its a custom mixed acrylic lacquer from tri city paint. I found them on the net. I have not sprayed it yet but it looks right.
I'm with you about spraying the black first them masking it off and doing the grey, but be careful to mask the grey areas before doing the black. The grey is a translucent and may tale several coats to cover new black paint. Are you sure about using flat black????? The plastic is already pretty flat looking.