OHC-6 TECH Over Head Cam projects, questions and advice.

Old 02-23-2013, 08:15 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I replaced the factory resistor wire with a regular wire.

Old 02-23-2013, 08:56 AM
Ultimate Warrior

you can tap into the wire ahead of the resistor to get the 12v and still have the 9v for coil
just find the resistor wire and follow it back to the splice point.

Old 02-23-2013, 11:15 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by rexs73gto View Post
The staock wire harness for your car has the resistor built into the wire. It's similar to the fuseable link wires in the system , you can't see that either.
Thanks

69 OHC ZH Sprint Hurst 3 Speed 3:55 (1 of 213)
99 Valkyrie 1520cc Flat 6 108hp/110tq - For Sale
http://sohcsix.yuku.com/forums/1/OHC-lounge
Wanted: 1969 OHC "H" Camshaft
Old 02-23-2013, 10:10 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by PMD1969 View Post
I am not sure what that means?
it means you monitor the dwell while working the throttle as high as you think is safe. dwell should stay nearly constant. I found the OHC6 dist will show a dwell jump (a bad thing) at the higher RPMs.

Old 02-23-2013, 11:13 PM
Ultimate Warrior

post number 2,I said to run 12V constant to the coil.My 63 Cat with a pertronics ran like crap untill I figured out the resistor wire was run to the coil.On my car it made a huge diff.Tom

Old 02-23-2013, 11:51 PM
Ultimate Warrior

OK, Tom, here's a pic of the install instructions for an Ignitor (not Ig II or III).

Fig 1 seems to indicate it's to be used with an original points system with resistor, but the connection to the Ig module red wire is not shown, obvious omission.

Fig 3 seems to indicate the same usage but it shows the module red wire connection.

Confusing.......my opinion is fig 3 is the proper one...full voltage to the module, yet, keeps the coil current within original specs.

Use what works for you.

George

Old 02-24-2013, 02:13 AM
Suspended

If you check your wiring you'll find 3 wires that are a complete 12V's that come out of the main harness that comes from the bulk head connector. Just use any one of them that are keyed hot becuse if you don't use the keyed hot you will have 12V's ggoing to the module all the time & you will burn it up in a very short time. Double check all your connections when ever your doing any electrical work as you don't want to lose your ride to a fire because you didn't check it twice.

Old 02-24-2013, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rexs73gto View Post
If you check your wiring you'll find 3 wires that are a complete 12V's that come out of the main harness that comes from the bulk head connector. Just use any one of them that are keyed hot becuse if you don't use the keyed hot you will have 12V's ggoing to the module all the time & you will burn it up in a very short time. Double check all your connections when ever your doing any electrical work as you don't want to lose your ride to a fire because you didn't check it twice.
Be careful not to pick a wire that is also keyed hot in the accessory key position. That will burn up the module if you are just listening to the radio with the engine off. I am very happy with my Pertronix. Modern reliability without compromising original look.

Old 02-24-2013, 03:12 PM
Ultimate Warrior

forgot to add the pic
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ignitor_install_mod.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	63.6 KB
ID:	314235  

Old 02-24-2013, 03:29 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by george kujanski View Post
forgot to add the pic
George,

The picture you have sent is a different page than the one I received with the unit. Mine says that the resistor may or may not be in the original wiring system. It says NOT to change anything. I hooked it up according to Figure #2.

Old 02-24-2013, 04:31 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by PMD1969 View Post
George,

The picture you have sent is a different page than the one I received with the unit. Mine says that the resistor may or may not be in the original wiring system. It says NOT to change anything. I hooked it up according to Figure #2.
I think youre missing the point
your car CAME with resistor wire.

Old 02-24-2013, 07:40 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I don't intend to beat a dead horse, I just wanted to bring attention to the install instructions, given that there have been postings about Pertronix reliability issues, what ever they are or not.

To address the case where an original resistor wire is bypassed, being in the engineering design biz, I know that the switch transistor in an ignition module needs to be rated for the current thru it. Using a existing coil without a series resistance increases the coil current and may eventually degrade the switching transistor.

This MAY cause long term reliability issues and one should be aware. That's all I wanted to mention.

George

Old 02-24-2013, 08:01 PM
Ultimate Warrior

on a similar note I bought a 68 Firebird convertible because the guy said after he put some performance parts on it ,it just didnt run right.
P4b,holley,hedman headers,th400,unilite,Hurst shifter,traction bars etc.
I trailered it home and began to check things out.
I found that the Unilite had the OEM resistor wire attached to the power feed and Hyfire coil had ballast resistor and the feed from resistor wire.
I got it going and put a jumper directly from battery to the coils ballast resistor and unilite and it was like flipping a switch.
I never did call the guy back to tell him how simple it was to fix.

Old 02-24-2013, 08:26 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Question

Stock coil, No spliced, by-passed wires and/or other electrical mods.
Starts everytime all the time and has for many years now.

Last edited by Jeff Hamlin; 04-20-2014 at 09:41 AM.
Old 02-25-2013, 12:55 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cammer-6 View Post
on a similar note I bought a 68 Firebird convertible because the guy said after he put some performance parts on it ,it just didnt run right.
P4b,holley,hedman headers,th400,unilite,Hurst shifter,traction bars etc.
I trailered it home and began to check things out.
I found that the Unilite had the OEM resistor wire attached to the power feed and Hyfire coil had ballast resistor and the feed from resistor wire.
I got it going and put a jumper directly from battery to the coils ballast resistor and unilite and it was like flipping a switch.
I never did call the guy back to tell him how simple it was to fix.
I will try to power it through the battery when I get back and see if it makes any difference.

Old 03-24-2013, 11:38 AM
Senior Chief

What seems to be the preferred coil to use with the Pertronix Ignitor (not II or III) system?
After much reading I've seen good and bad with almost all of them. I am currently using the same type that it had with the original points-type setup, so I'm guessing that 3-ohm 40,000+ volt are the key specs to be looking for. I did replace the resistance wire with an 18-guage directly to the fuse block as per the instructions.

Last edited by Birdguy; 03-24-2013 at 12:07 PM.