OHC-6 TECH Over Head Cam projects, questions and advice.

Old 03-09-2013, 10:20 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Can I have your opinion

I have a couple things im thinking about doing with my 66' Lemans I started to rebuild a 69'250 engine and cant find good pistons that are affordable. In addition to that I cant find a list of other htf parts. So my question is would it be bad of me to install a rebuilt 350 I have extra just sitting in the garage? The car will be ready for the road way before I find all the OHC parts so I had the idea of running the 350 "Pontiac" just until I have the OHC completed. I've been running into some problems with the 69' 250 block far as clearance issues with the larger balancer being to close to the radiator,my restored and ready to run date code correct Sprint quadrajet will not seal properly on the 67' intake I had so that's why I decided to sell the intake and ex manifold. I really dont want mixed and matched years and parts that will not line up or fit, so I feel the best thing to due will be to find all the correct 66' parts block,intake manifold,powersteering pump ect.

I just feel kinda guilty installing a V8 but it would only be until I get the other engine completed.

Old 03-09-2013, 10:55 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Thumbs down

WHAT?
IMO; The money wasted on converting it over to V8 would be better spent on parts or at the least a different (running) OHC.

Old 03-09-2013, 11:07 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I wouldn't hesitate to put a smooth running V8 in. I, personally think you would enjoy the car more. With the six it would have to work harder to give equal performance. Even with just normal driving. As far as mixing and matching goes, I would set up the engine with all it's accessories on the stand to work out the bugs so you don't have to do it over the fender. Then take that stuff off to make installation easier of course. Unless your motor is complete out of one car and you know all pullies line up and you have the correct brackets and so on. The nice thing about Pontiac motors is they all interchange for the most part. That's just my opinion.

1978 Black & Gold T/A [complete 70 Ram Air III (carb to pan) PQ and 12 bolt], fully loaded, deluxe, WS6, T-Top car - 1972 Formula 455HO Ram Air numbers matching Julep Green - 1971 T/A 455, 320 CFM Eheads, RP cam, Doug's headers, Fuel injection, TKX 5 Spd. 12 Bolt 3.73, 4 wheel disc. All A/C cars
Old 03-09-2013, 11:19 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I found KB Pistons at Summit. What is wrong with the 250 block that you have? Are the pistons no good? I have also found a supplier at Inliners for forged pistons but you muct overbore by .40.

Jeff's forum is a GREAT place to uncover parts and suppliers.

Marc

69 OHC ZH Sprint Hurst 3 Speed 3:55 (1 of 213)
99 Valkyrie 1520cc Flat 6 108hp/110tq - For Sale
http://sohcsix.yuku.com/forums/1/OHC-lounge
Wanted: 1969 OHC "H" Camshaft
Old 03-09-2013, 11:25 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Hamlin View Post
WHAT?
IMO; The money wasted on converting it over to V8 would be better spent on parts or at the least a different (running) OHC.
I have everything dont need to buy anything I have tons of v8 parts from my T-37 I've collected over the years.

Old 03-09-2013, 11:30 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by PMD1969 View Post
I found KB Pistons at Summit. What is wrong with the 250 block that you have? Are the pistons no good? I have also found a supplier at Inliners for forged pistons but you muct overbore by .40.

Jeff's forum is a GREAT place to uncover parts and suppliers.

Marc
The 250 needed an overbore so new pistons are needed. Balancer is large and very close to the radiator on a 66' A body Not saying I cant make it work just dont feel it's worth the work when I know deep down I should find a 66' Sprint block and be correct.

Old 03-09-2013, 12:18 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default hey hpp

Where in OHio are ya?
We should be ale to hook you up with manifolds, I get to Ohio now & then.
I also have lots of hardware & could offer assistance. You are amoung friends here.
You will like the V-8 but the OHC is special & a real conversation piece.
It will not dissapoint you.

Old 03-09-2013, 05:09 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Cancel your ebay auction and keep the manifolds. They will work on a '66 1 barrel or a67 if you get one. You could get date correct ones for your '69 but there's shipping, etc. Just my opinion.

Old 03-09-2013, 05:32 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66sprint6 View Post
Cancel your ebay auction and keep the manifolds. They will work on a '66 1 barrel or a67 if you get one. You could get date correct ones for your '69 but there's shipping, etc. Just my opinion.
That's what I would do.

I think he is having problems with the 250 being too long and the 1bbl harmonic balancer is not giving enough room of r a 3 core radiator? IIRC there is/was a solution to that? 230's do come up from time to time and I'll bet there are some that are just sitting waiting to be sold. 283 pistons fit in those. As for the pistons for a 250 they are hard to find but I believe there are options and I do think that EGGE carries pistons.

Anyway, if he would look at his PM I might be able to help out.

Marc

Old 03-09-2013, 08:41 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Marc thanks for the PM I will be looking into that. I understand the 67' Intake/manifold will work on any OHC engine. Although the 66' carb mounting plenum is a one year only design. I cant bolt my 66' carb to the 67' intake without having a major vaccum leak. Again not to say im building this engine around my carb but now I have to find another carb to use until I find a 66' set up. The balancer is an issue also I know this can be solved by another htf '67 balancer and that would need bored and cut to fit the 250 crank. My crank is bad also its scored to death and needs machine work. The fan is another problem 68/69 has a spacer this pushes the blade very close to the radiator.

So do I spend thousands of dollars/more machine work on a incorrect 69 1bbl 250 or do I keep searching for my 66' correct Sprint motor?

Not to mention I need linkage brackets,4bbl Throttle cable because apparentlty thats another 4bbl specific part. All the power steering stuff far as pump,brackets ect. Btw 66/67 powersteering set ups are different than 68/69.

So my thinking is to run my already rebuilt 350 only until my 66' correct OHC engine is completed.
I have a major passion for the OHC engine and design my dad had a 66' Sprint all of my childhood memories are of that car and the basic reason for my Pontiac passion.
Not to mention I dont know to many 32 year old guys who even know what a Pontiac OHC is...So I have every intention of installing a OHC I just want it to be correct.

Old 03-09-2013, 11:06 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I wont say I told you so but remember the conversation about mixing and matching parts?
I think Ive made just about every mistake you could make, to see what works and what doesnt.
I probably have about 5 66 blocks here,Im pretty sure that each of the Jeffs have as many.

Old 03-09-2013, 11:13 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cammer-6 View Post
I wont say I told you so but remember the conversation about mixing and matching parts?
I think Ive made just about every mistake you could make, to see what works and what doesnt.
I probably have about 5 66 blocks here,Im pretty sure that each of the Jeffs have as many.
You are correct...mixing and matching is a hard way to go.

Old 03-09-2013, 11:37 PM
Ultimate Warrior

drop the V8 in and take your time shopping for the OH6 stuff. Sounds like it will take you a while for sourceing and funds.

Old 03-10-2013, 09:08 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 694.1 View Post
Where in OHio are ya?
We should be ale to hook you up with manifolds, I get to Ohio now & then.
I also have lots of hardware & could offer assistance. You are amoung friends here.
You will like the V-8 but the OHC is special & a real conversation piece.
It will not dissapoint you.
Im located in Ohio 30 min from Cleveland.

Old 03-10-2013, 09:10 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
You aren't currently bidding on them are you? Someone from Canada has a bid on both.

Old 03-10-2013, 01:21 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Ya, that's me. I can go either way. If you want to keep them , that's fine. If you want me to buy them, that's fine as well. Either way, I won't be offended. So do what you like. I so regret selling my last set of manifolds, as right after I had a chance to buy a 1 barrel for 100.00

Being a cammer is a funny hobby, but a very close knit one.

Old 03-10-2013, 01:31 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Ya, that's me. I can go either way. If you want to keep them , that's fine. If you want me to buy them, that's fine as well. Either way, I won't be offended. So do what you like. I so regret selling my last set of manifolds, as right after I had a chance to buy a 1 barrel for 100.00

Tons of great guys in the OHC group and they do some interesting things with their motors. Turbos, Blowers, Fuel Injection, Triple Webers and they did come with a Quardrajet! Nice high compression and for the time they revved pretty high.

My favorite part is when people look at the motor in amazement that an overhead cam production motor with a belt existed in the 60's. Always fun talking with folks about it.

Old 03-10-2013, 02:16 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by PMD1969 View Post
Tons of great guys in the OHC group and they do some interesting things with their motors. Turbos, Blowers, Fuel Injection, Triple Webers and they did come with a Quardrajet! Nice high compression and for the time they revved pretty high.

My favorite part is when people look at the motor in amazement that an overhead cam production motor with a belt existed in the 60's. Always fun talking with folks about it.
dont you just tell them its a one off experimental engine?

Last edited by Cammer-6; 03-10-2013 at 02:22 PM.
Old 03-10-2013, 03:28 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:

No there for sale you will use them before me. But if you win the auction I have to adjust the shipping seeing as your in Canada I have to double ck with UPS. Thank you for bidding I hope you get em.

Old 03-10-2013, 06:15 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I understand your reasons but still feel it would be just as much work even to use your V8;

Engine mounts/frame brackets.
Engine harness.
Radiator.
Fuel line relocation/extension.
Transmission and possibly drive shaft depending on what trans.

Sure seems like it’s just as much a PITA to put in the V8 into an original OHC model.
But I’m bias to OHCs