The Body Shop TECH General questions that don't fit in any other forum

Old 10-22-2016, 04:57 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Why would I move on to another shop when the painter is willing to make the customer happy. Im not giving him grief at all. Im sure he would tell me to find another shop if I was. I have read nothing but good things about spi and would prefer to have him use it.
But if the 1021 is comparable or better then it works out for both of us.

Never new when your spending your own money that it to be done the shops way or the highway. Maybe i'm wrong.

Old 10-22-2016, 05:04 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEW64OWNER View Post
I would say you find a different shop, one that will do it your way. I think your guy is right but you're giving so much grief trying to tell him how to paint a car it's time for you to move on.
BTW, concept 2021 is an excellent product.
Agreed......if you came into my shop with all these demands,using products I have no history with....Id say, we're off to a bad start already,and pass on the job. Most shops can tell when it's a no win situation,just by talking to the client. But hey,that's just me..iam the boss....lol. Also that Concept clear is a fine product.Been at the paint game for the last 40 years..weined on lacquer and triple beam scale for measuring paint....it's come a long way..in a good way !

Old 10-22-2016, 05:10 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The worst thing that can happen with the shop using a clear they are not use to....A..the painter runs the snot out of it..or B..it has the look of a basketball and he has a lot of hours ( that you have to pay for) in wet sanding and buffing.

Old 10-22-2016, 06:01 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Thanks guys understood its not my intention to get into a squabble over if a shop will or will not use a customers choice of material or procedure.. I'm just looking for some advice. But for what its worth I haven't demanded anything. He agreed to use the spi clear. He's the painter/owner and asked his advice as I'm doing here. I gave him the tech sheet for the spi and he is comfortable doing it. If the two clears are comparable then hey great for both of us. As for the epoxy I would require any shop put the car in epoxy if they said they weren't going too.

Thanks again

Old 10-22-2016, 11:14 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I dont know.....

IMHO ..... you are setting yourself up for disaster, you are basically handing him every excuse not to stand behind his work.... in the end if something does not come out right, He is just gonna say... " Hey, I used the products and procedure YOU wanted me to use/do " ...... I think you have already sabatoged the relationship and should move on....

Find a shop that uses the products you want already......

400HO / TKX 3.27 1ST GEAR-.72OD / 3.36 POSI
HOTCHKIS/UMI/BILSTEIN
Old 10-23-2016, 12:48 AM

Agreed 100%

Old 10-23-2016, 08:17 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I thank you all for all your opinions on the customer /shop relationship as to moving on.
I have made up my mind as to use the shop or not.

My most recent question is the preference of SPI universal clear vs ppg 2021 for those that have used both.

Once again thanks

Old 10-23-2016, 01:42 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I've not used the SPI clear. I can only comment on the PPG DCU 2021. 2021 is designed to give "an OEM appearance". In other words, when cured it looks as rough as current factory finishes on new cars. Like that woman at the bar last night, it won't look nearly as good the next day when everything is dried out.
I use PPG DCU 2002 clear.

Old 10-23-2016, 02:03 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I'm not sure I'd be comfortable with a painter learning a new product on my car and my dime.

Old 10-23-2016, 05:07 PM
Suspended

I would go to a paint shop that mix's paint & such & talk to the guy who's got more experience on all of these products & find out how they look when done & how they go on to find out what your getting rather then here where the guys that use some of these materials & have all different opinions. Ask the guys who mix the stuff they have to know how it goes one as most companies won't let you sell their product anymore until they know the product inside & out.

Old 10-23-2016, 06:13 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Yeah, ask a saleman, not the guys who use the products.
That ought to get you the truth every time.

Old 10-24-2016, 05:51 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Thanks 400 4spd that's the info I'm looking for.

Much appreciated!

Old 10-24-2016, 07:23 AM

Interesting debate.

While I'm not a pro painter by any means, I have done about 20 cars and several bikes and airplanes and I have always been a fan of using a complete system or product line from one supplier. I thought that using primers, bases and clears that were designed to work together would prevent the peeling, fisheyes, blistering and whatever other problems that come up due to bad chemical interactions from products that weren't designed to be used together.

I could definitely understand a shop being reluctant to use different manufacturer's products and provide a guarantee that they will work together.

Old 10-25-2016, 09:30 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by 400 4spd. View Post
I've not used the SPI clear. I can only comment on the PPG DCU 2021. 2021 is designed to give "an OEM appearance". In other words, when cured it looks as rough as current factory finishes on new cars. Like that woman at the bar last night, it won't look nearly as good the next day when everything is dried out.
I use PPG DCU 2002 clear.
It is my understanding 2002 won't be around much longer. When Dad switched to urethanes he started with 2001 and has been using 2002 with DU-5 hardener since it came out. He won't use anything else, but he was told by the paint rep that PPG is phasing it out. He is really bummed out about it.

Nate

1970 "Real" Judge RAIII 4-speed, Atoll Blue w/painted white top. Mild RAIV headed 400 motor in now.
Old 10-25-2016, 10:17 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by bignate View Post
It is my understanding 2002 won't be around much longer. When Dad switched to urethanes he started with 2001 and has been using 2002 with DU-5 hardener since it came out. He won't use anything else, but he was told by the paint rep that PPG is phasing it out. He is really bummed out about it.

Nate
Thanks for the heads-up, Nate.
Our territory manager is an old friend of mine. I'll be asking about that before the week is out.
I've felt they (automotive paint companies) would be eliminating solvent based products to force a change over to water-borne systems.

Old 10-26-2016, 12:18 AM
Suspended

404spd, I wan't talking about just a salesman but the guys who actully mix the paint & the guys who know how each product works & they'll know more then the the salesman & some of the painter as they have to know how it goes together. Those guys are the ones who know the inter-working of the products.

Old 12-03-2016, 11:56 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 400 4spd. View Post
Yeah, ask a saleman, not the guys who use the products.
That ought to get you the truth every time.
I've been misinformed by body men and shop owners in this hobby much more than I have Salesmen. In fact I haven't delt with a shop yet that actually stood behind there work. Its always well you know Blah blah blah.

Sorry I have been a salesman for 30 years. It gets old.

Old 12-03-2016, 05:37 PM

I do not think it should be a deal breaker, everyone has a different opinion on filler on bare vs epoxy. I would be concerned with asking him to use different products too, that seems like a can of worms for later excuses. It doesn't sound like you have a ton of confidence in him already, so maybe a different shop is the solution.

Old 12-03-2016, 06:21 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by footjoy View Post
I've been misinformed by body men and shop owners in this hobby much more than I have Salesmen. In fact I haven't delt with a shop yet that actually stood behind there work. Its always well you know Blah blah blah.

Sorry I have been a salesman for 30 years. It gets old.
Had a customer at my shop with a Rust Blistered hood on a 2010 Colorado....I called my GM parts guy and asked what the factory warranty was....he said ,if its through..like you can see the motor with the hood closed...they will replace the hood....and this was last year...so it was about 3 months before the 5 year period......the dealership said No !! If GM can't stand behind their product ...how can a small shop. Us guys that been doing it for Faudhty years ..know what works. And if the products we use ,fail......the paint company gives us more paint and clear and says have a nice day !! Welcome to my world.