Old 02-14-2024, 02:41 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Door weatherstrip kits?

Building upon the current trunk weatherstrip discussion, I would sincerely appreciate feedback from anyone who has been able to compare different brands of door seal weatherstrip kits.

I don't immediately need this, but figure that some of you have seen multiple brands and might be able to offer a recommendation.

It reads as though over on nastyZ28.com that the consensus is Metro brand.

Thoughts?

Quite likely one of few '70 Muncie three speed Formula 400's left.

1991 Grand Am: 14.4 @ 93.7mph (DA corrected) (retired DD, stock appearing)
2009 Cobalt SS: 13.9 @ 103mph (current DD; makes something north of 300hp & 350ft/lbs)
The Following User Says Thank You to unruhjonny For This Useful Post:
Old 02-14-2024, 05:04 PM
Ultimate Warrior

X2 on metro for door, window channel & trunk seals.

I havent compared to other brands (besides their T top seals that suck) but for the average car that isnt a concours or all original type car that needs perfection or NOS, the metro seals for those locations are very nice. They look, install & function great... no need to slam doors/trunk except for the 1st day or 2 while they take shape, after that they close as nice as factory, and no leaks or moisture issues when installed right. Have had them in use on one car for 15 years & others for almost as long, they look & work like new. Priced very good too, trunk seal is about $20 with a long warranty.

The Following User Says Thank You to 78w72 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-14-2024, 05:24 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I'll be lurking on this post.

The Following User Says Thank You to Transamric For This Useful Post:
Old 02-14-2024, 07:34 PM
Ultimate Warrior

https://fairchildindustries.com/automotive/ Available from summit and Jegs . IMHO Outside of NOS this is the best you will find and it’s not close

Old 02-14-2024, 09:57 PM

I like the idea of Steele Rubber's brass-inserted end moulds to prevent the tearing away at location points like others do.

https://www.steelerubber.com/door-we...rip-82-0008-72

But I've never tried a set or seen mentioned of anyone that has. I bought a pack from another seller 'on special' and thought it was a good deal compared to regular price even though the shipping was horrific. When it arrived it wasn't the brass-inserted version at all but standard type, old stock, at an inflated price. Turns out they didn't even change the part number to show the updated version. So I still have that set, unopened and costing double what it should have.

Old 03-03-2024, 09:44 PM

Default door seals

well Im dealing with the issues now, t-top bought fairchild and had some bad results like not being to close the top without breaking somthing, bought some metro and they fell apart but metro did send another set worked fit was fair at best, second door seals bought fairchild and were made too long bunched up in the corners big time bought a set of metros and things got ugly really fast those fell apart at the seams so I just sent an e-mail to them try another set not sure if you guys are feeling the same as me but the USA stuff was workable and offshore was a gamble now the USA products are going down in manufacturing quality

just my 2cents

Old 03-04-2024, 10:37 AM
Ultimate Warrior

These are Fairchild.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4978.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	44.5 KB
ID:	629788   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4980.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	49.2 KB
ID:	629789  

Old 03-04-2024, 10:39 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyairguard View Post
well Im dealing with the issues now, t-top bought fairchild and had some bad results like not being to close the top without breaking somthing, bought some metro and they fell apart but metro did send another set worked fit was fair at best, second door seals bought fairchild and were made too long bunched up in the corners big time bought a set of metros and things got ugly really fast those fell apart at the seams so I just sent an e-mail to them try another set not sure if you guys are feeling the same as me but the USA stuff was workable and offshore was a gamble now the USA products are going down in manufacturing quality

just my 2cents
I went through the hassle of crappy metro T top seals awhile back, mine didnt fall apart at all but the corner areas at the inner roof didnt fit right, they actually pulled away from the roof with the thin wall of the weatherstrip that would have allowed water/dirt to get in there. returned them before gluing them in.

Had much better results with soff-seal brand T-top weatherstrip, the corner areas are thick like GM and they fit nice too with plastic inserts in each end for better locating where it transitions down the A & B pillars. They are a little thicker than originals, or just seem that way compared to flattened 40+ year old ones. The tops were a little harder to close the latch at first but has got better after some time being installed and there are adjustment blocks that bolt to the roof where the T-top rods engage that can be adjusted some. Overall the soff seal brand are the best I have found for T tops, I posted pics comparing the 2 on 2 of the other TA forums that are gone now but might still have the pics if anyone is interested in seeing them.

Old 03-04-2024, 10:44 AM

Norwood’s pics of the Fairchild ones look nice nothing like the ones I received last month from the rock who knows
Here are metro

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 03-04-2024, 11:30 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I installed some Fairchild door and roof rail seals on my son's 79 a few days ago. The door seals are just awful. Beyond their appearance, doors won't close unless really slammed (even after a few days on the car), the ends are loose and bunch up, the first pin on the A pillar end of the seal is in the wrong location. They don't look anything like Norwood's, so wondering if I got a counterfeit version (ordered from Summit)? The roof rail seals look a little better and seem to fit OK. Looking into other options. I checked out Steele Rubber, but I have a sneaky suspicion that their seals for our cars are actually Metro so just placed an order for Metro.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8006.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	59.5 KB
ID:	629791   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8007.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	79.5 KB
ID:	629792  

Old 03-04-2024, 11:53 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I don't want to dissuade anyone ever from posting, but just as most owners tend to post in the sub forum of the year(s) of their car(s), I started the discussion about door seals in this forum because I have a '70;

I understand that there is overlap between 1970-73 (this forum), the 1974-1976 sub-forum, and the 1977-1981 sub-forum because they all use the same seals if the car does not have T-tops;
BUT
The t-top option was not introduced till 1976 (even then, for that first year they were only offered on the 50th Anniversary cars);
I am concerned that posting reviews on poor t-top seal kits might not be too useful here, as owners tend to stick to the appropriate model year sub forum - it might be worth at least creating a link in the other sub forum(s) so that owners might come here to see these helpful reviews.

Maybe linking the other subforums to this discussion might garner more collective feedback about the door seals for solid roof cars!?

I have heard of a LOT of issues with fitting reproduction t-top roof seals (& the kits as a whole).

I love t-tops, but don't envy the headaches.

2009 Cobalt SS: 13.9 @ 103mph (current DD; makes something north of 300hp & 350ft/lbs)
Old 03-04-2024, 11:59 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by unruhjonny View Post
I don't want to dissuade anyone ever from posting, but just as most owners tend to post in the sub forum of the year(s) of their car(s), I started the discussion about door seals in this forum because I have a '70;

I understand that there is overlap between 1970-73 (this forum), the 1974-1976 sub-forum, and the 1977-1981 sub-forum because they all use the same seals if the car does not have T-tops;
BUT
The t-top option was not introduced till 1976 (even then, for that first year they were only offered on the 50th Anniversary cars);
I am concerned that posting reviews on poor t-top seal kits might not be too useful here, as owners tend to stick to the appropriate model year sub forum - it might be worth at least creating a link in the other sub forum(s) so that owners might come here to see these helpful reviews.

Maybe linking the other subforums to this discussion might garner more collective feedback about the door seals for solid roof cars!?

I have heard of a LOT of issues with fitting reproduction t-top roof seals (& the kits as a whole).

I love t-tops, but don't envy the headaches.
The door seal is the same regardless. My son's 79 Y84 does not have T tops so the roof rail seal is the same as your 70.

Old 03-04-2024, 12:35 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Looking at my fit of the Fairchild door seals and how well they fit and the issues others have with the same product has me stumped. I guess just save up for NOS and be done with it.

Old 03-06-2024, 02:53 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I just installed Metro Supersoft door seals on my son's 79. They fit well and the doors close without having to slam them. I left the Fairchild roof rail seals in place because they play nicely with the new door seals. Will assess after I install the windows.

Old 03-06-2024, 03:00 PM

Metro is sending me a new set of door seals free of charge, they do stand behind their products

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 03-06-2024, 04:12 PM
Ultimate Warrior

/\ that's good to know.
A company willing to stand behind their product has unfortunately become a rare thing.

Old 03-07-2024, 01:41 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I have used Soft seal on my window seals. This was 15 years ago, but they had reinforcement "lumps" inside the vertical part at B pillar which really hindered my Power windows.
Since then, when helping people I tend to look at the softness of the seal where the window glides ( on a PW car)
My Fairchild door seals, well... door acted like the old original. I was shocked it wasn't too fat and fit well. Have Not bought any of them in 5 years.