Old 10-08-2018, 04:14 PM

Default Rebuilding 66 GTO - looking for drivetrain advice

I am beginning a total restoration of a 66 GTO with the intention of selling it upon completion. I have a 389 four barrel that is period correct but not numbers matching (the original engine is long gone). I have the original 3-speed trans & floor shifter and the original 10 bolt rearend. I want to keep the 389 and the rearend but I am looking for advice on the transmission. The 3-speed will go with the sale of the vehicle, but I'm wondering if I should go with a period correct Muncie 4-speed or a more modern 5-speed? Which is likely to enhance the value? The suspension and brakes will also be updated/ modern. Any input is appreciated.

Old 10-08-2018, 04:39 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Muncie 4-speed.

But then, some today want LS power & a 6-speed. So, it just depends on the buyer.

Old 10-08-2018, 04:47 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

It depends on what your intention is with the car. Showing it in concours correct shows or driving it on weekends and extended trips. Car shows and around town Muncie, street fun 5 speed. Slight floor modification and it works.

Old 10-08-2018, 04:52 PM

My intention is to sell it and make a profit - wondering what has the broadest appeal. I'm thinking 5-speed so it can be driven on the highway at a "reasonable" speed...

Old 10-08-2018, 09:31 PM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by TPM View Post
I am beginning a total restoration of a 66 GTO with the intention of selling it upon completion. I have a 389 four barrel that is period correct but not numbers matching (the original engine is long gone). I have the original 3-speed trans & floor shifter and the original 10 bolt rearend. I want to keep the 389 and the rearend but I am looking for advice on the transmission. The 3-speed will go with the sale of the vehicle, but I'm wondering if I should go with a period correct Muncie 4-speed or a more modern 5-speed? Which is likely to enhance the value? The suspension and brakes will also be updated/ modern. Any input is appreciated.
Your targeted buyer for that car will want to actually drive it. The 5 speed will not only be a plus but another attractive piece to the pie. What's the sense in putting in modern this and modern that and leave in old technology when it comes to the transmission. I would also add a hydraulic clutch for some added comfort and appeal. Nobody wants to deal with "clutch leg" when they want to drive their car. Big turn off.

Old 10-08-2018, 10:35 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by TPM View Post
My intention is to sell it and make a profit - wondering what has the broadest appeal. .
Is your replacement 389 a WT or WS or SR code block ?
Are the heads 093 ?

If the answers are no ... You might want to consider branching out from the 389 altogether. Correct codes alway have an appeal to most potential markets.

Beyond those codes - a garden variety 389 might be counter-productive to your resto-mod drivetrain/suspension build up direction.

Resto-moddish types usually want Extra Cubes/HP/dyno sheet/pump gas friendly.

And i'm not saying that resto-mod cars bring the best bucks.
Some do , some don't.
Depends if they really have the good stuff or the so-so stuff
Garden 389 is so-so in most all cases stock or resto-mod.

fwiw

Old 10-09-2018, 10:36 AM

the 389 is already re-built and mounted on the frame - so I will not be changing the engine. I don't plan to alter the body or slam it to the ground - just want to have modern suspension and brakes so it handles well and stops

Old 10-09-2018, 05:50 PM
Ultimate Warrior

With what you are doing, you are money ahead with a 4 or a 5 speed. The big difference is cost----a Muncie 4 speed will set you back $1000 or less, using your current bell housing and linkage. A 5 speed will be about $4k for the trans and all the parts/mods needed to make it work. Depending on what rear gear ratio is in the car, a 4 speed can be just fine in today's world. I've been driving mine for almost 40 years with no plans to change to a 5 speed. I think in today's world, though, most newer buyers want an overdrive and modern brakes. Just the way it is.....