OHC-6 TECH Over Head Cam projects, questions and advice.

Old 01-30-2017, 09:24 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Wrapping a crankshaft for storage?

Instead of just wrapping the crankshaft with giant hunks of plastic what have you guys used to do this?

I plan on making it so it can be moved and with these deals being so long and heavy I want to be sure that it has a good seal on it. I plan on using a couple packs of dry gel to keep the water off of the crank itself.

Any tips?

69 OHC ZH Sprint Hurst 3 Speed 3:55 (1 of 213)
99 Valkyrie 1520cc Flat 6 108hp/110tq - For Sale
http://sohcsix.yuku.com/forums/1/OHC-lounge
Wanted: 1969 OHC "H" Camshaft
Old 01-30-2017, 11:23 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Standard procedure is to first spray it well with a preservative like Fluid film or PB Blaster's similar product & wrap it well. A roll of saran wrap would go a long way. Maybe some heavy mil plastic.

Still have my 1st Firebird
7th Firebird
57 Starchief
Old 01-30-2017, 11:36 PM
Ultimate Warrior

On nice core crankshafts, for the last 25 years, I've sprayed the mains & rod journals with Kano Products WeatherProof. When dry, it leaves a relatively thick amber colored film which prevents any rust. To remove one will need to submerse the crank in ones solvent tank, or have machine shop hot tank.

Old 01-31-2017, 07:24 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I leave mine standing in the corner bare. Knowing any of them would need to be polished/machined so to me surface rust isn't of concern.
If you think you'll be moving them/it around a bit I would suggest a homemade wooden box.

Old 01-31-2017, 10:21 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 694.1 View Post
Standard procedure is to first spray it well with a preservative like Fluid film or PB Blaster's similar product & wrap it well. A roll of saran wrap would go a long way. Maybe some heavy mil plastic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 'ol Pinion head View Post
On nice core crankshafts, for the last 25 years, I've sprayed the mains & rod journals with Kano Products WeatherProof. When dry, it leaves a relatively thick amber colored film which prevents any rust. To remove one will need to submerse the crank in ones solvent tank, or have machine shop hot tank.
Didn't know that PB Blaster would be a good product for that. What about using WD40? I've used it for other firearm parts and it has worked well for deterring rust.

Old 01-31-2017, 10:24 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Hamlin View Post
I leave mine standing in the corner bare. Knowing any of them would need to be polished/machined so to me surface rust isn't of concern.
If you think you'll be moving them/it around a bit I would suggest a homemade wooden box.
I had pulled this from a running motor and took everything else and stored them to keep them from rusting. The crank is the only thing that is touch to move and store since I am standing it up on end by its flex plate.

After I pposted this I thought about making a ziptie handle out of the huge zipties I have that are two feet long and wide. I am guessing that after I wrap it that I could ziptie the ends and create a handle using them since they are plastic and will not rust or bite into the crank end journals.

Old 02-09-2017, 02:44 PM
Ultimate Warrior

If you have room under a shelf or work bench it's best to store one hanging and out of the way.
On the floor stored in corners I've had mice get in and use the counterweights as condo's, didn't realize that until I unwrapped them.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	crank-rack-flange.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	16.5 KB
ID:	446833