THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Closed Thread

Old 02-24-2021, 05:51 PM

Default Covid shot

Who is getting it or them, and why or why not? And who has and how did you feel afterwards?

~MaryAnn~ AKA "Stickybuns"
1969 Firebird 400 Convertible
1978 Bandit T/A Tribute
1977 RED TA

I'm the FiredUp PY bad girl
Old 02-24-2021, 05:56 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Not. I got active t cell immunity.

Old 02-24-2021, 06:04 PM

Yeah I’m not sure how I feel about it I tend to be sensitive to any vaccines my Pharmacist got the two dose shots, and said the second one made him sick for 3 days.

1978 Bandit T/A Tribute
1977 RED TA

Old 02-24-2021, 06:09 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

My wife and I are in the group eligible here now but I have not found a place that is not booked solid.

I was going to wait for the J&J because it is one dose but hearing that it is only 66% effective, I will not let them give us that one. (I equate that 66% to playing Russian Roulette with two chambers loaded.)

Our mega-sized healthcare provider we use just told us they will let us know when their triage system can slot us in. They are scheduling most at risk within a group first.

Last edited by Stuart; 02-24-2021 at 09:19 PM.
Old 02-24-2021, 06:18 PM
Senior Chief

Got my first shot yesterday. No problems. Get the second shot in a month.

Old 02-24-2021, 06:24 PM
Ultimate Warrior

And MaryAnn, you and Mike get real Hazmat gas masks to use when you go out and you'll be safer. The ones that cover your nose and mouth. Far more safer than those things we all wear now. I have one I use to go into Wawa. I've still have to figure out how to get that damn straw into it so I can drink my coffee. And it's the full mask that covers your whole face. LOL

Gary
Get in, ShuT Up, Hang On!
Member of the Baltimore Built Brotherhood
MY GTO built 4th Week of March 1966
"Crusin' Is Not A Crime"
Keep yer stick on the ice.
Old 02-24-2021, 06:27 PM
Ultimate Warrior

My wife and I got both of the Moderna,no issue with 1st shot.Wife felt tired for about a day and a half about a day and a half AFTER the shot.I ran a slight temp for a few hours about a day and a half after the shot.A lot of my friends have had both shots with both brands and most had some slight issues after the 2nd.No one has regretted getting the vaccine.Tom

Old 02-24-2021, 06:28 PM
Ultimate Warrior

My wife (RN) got both, was fine ... but she basically HAD to get it. Personally I'll wait till the conventional vaccine comes out. Not big on a first of a kind RNA vaccine, some big brains are saying there is trouble down the road for some people.

Old 02-24-2021, 06:42 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by dataway View Post
My wife (RN) got both, was fine ... but she basically HAD to get it. Personally I'll wait till the conventional vaccine comes out. Not big on a first of a kind RNA vaccine, some big brains are saying there is trouble down the road for some people.
When she gets home tonight, give her a big hug from all of us for doing the job she does!

Jon.

"The most expensive carburetor is the wrong one given to you by your neighbor".

If you truly believe that "one size fits all" try walking a mile in your spouse's shoes!

Owner of The Carburetor Shop, LLC (of Missouri).

Current caretaker of the remains of Stromberg Caburetor, and custodian of the existing Carter and Kingston carburetor drawings.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to carbking For This Useful Post:
Old 02-24-2021, 07:19 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Wife and I have received both shots. Moderna. No issues the first time beyond a tender arm which is what I have after a regular flu shot.
My daughter and sister (both RNs) warned me that there may be some slight after effects with the second shot. They were right. I felt a little blah the second day after, the wife had a slight chill. Beyond that we're fine.

1968 GTO (Thanks Mom)
2006 Silverado
2007 Cadillac SRX
2015 Chevy Express

Old 02-24-2021, 07:39 PM
Suspended

The wife got it this afternoon (Pfizer), I get mine April 10th.

Being in NY, I see how F'ed up it can be when you get it so there is no question in my mind about getting the shot.

Old 02-24-2021, 07:49 PM
Ultimate Warrior

My first hand experience:

First shot (Pfizer) was on January 27th. No issues except for a sore shoulder for less than 24 hours.

Second shot was last week on my birthday (February 17th). No issues except for a sore shoulder for less than 24 hours. The day after shot #2 we drove from one end of the state to the other (300 miles) for my brother-in-law's funeral (wife's brother). Based on stories I'd been told about the second shot, I was concerned about my ability to drive that distance afterwards. I needn't have worried.

I get my flu shot every year (('m diabetic and the flu shot is highly recommended) and the regular flu shot has my arm sore for 2 - 3 days. Covid vaccine was not a big deal at all.

For those worried about Covid infection - I see no reason to be concerned with the vaccine.

I got the vaccine because of my part time retirement gig where I am in and out of Mayo Clinic properties all day long. Amongst other duties - I transport Covid testing specimens from nursing homes and designated testing sites to the Mayo labs and Covid vaccines from Mayo's main pharmacy to other Mayo hospitals all over southern MN.

Old 02-24-2021, 07:53 PM
Senior Chief

My wife and I got both shots. No problems for either one of us. Her vaccine was Pfizer, mine was Moderna. It is seems to be hit or miss for a bad reaction.

Old 02-24-2021, 07:55 PM
Suspended

Never had a flu shot. Not getting the Covid shot. If your immune system is healthy, and you are in good health - don't have any underlying problems, don't smoke, don't drink, aren't overweight, and do some exercising to stay in shape, and know how to treat the flu if/when you feel it coming on, your natural immune system can beat it off. Had the Covid. Lasted 2 days and was gone. Had a fever, and sweated my butt off the entire time. Never felt bad, was at work, and wore a mask the minute it hit and 7 days after it ended. No one at my work got it while I had it or after. We have had several of our employees get it over the past year. Symptoms varied.

Does anyone here believe that the vaccine is for life? You are going to have to get it yearly just like the flu vaccine, or a booster. It is a vaccine, not a cure.

The Following User Says Thank You to PontiacJim1959 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-24-2021, 08:02 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Yeah, no way in hell I'm getting one.

1970 Trans Am RAIII 4 speed
1971 Trans Am 5.3 LM7
1977 Trans Am W72 Y82
1987 Grand National
Old 02-24-2021, 08:14 PM

I am immune suppressed and still on a chemo drug that’s causes anemia, but I am taking it for my kidneys not the Leukemia. Here you can sign up by creating an account just to be able to set up an appointment. they’re not giving anyone under 75 the shots regardless of health issues. So I wait for them to send me an e mail to just set up an appointment. Then more waiting. If I do decide to get it, I would like the one shot deal. Seems the second doses come with more side affects. I’m still waiting to get the second half of my shingles shot. After the first one my arm and shoulder hurt for 4 days.

1978 Bandit T/A Tribute
1977 RED TA

Old 02-24-2021, 08:23 PM
Ultimate Warrior

No thanks.. no flu shot or virus shots for me..

BTW - I've already had the virus. As soon as I felt it coming on I combatted it with gargling salt water 3-4 times a day.. vitamins and rest. I see where it could've gotten out of hand quick if I wouldn't have gotten the jump on it. I'm 52.. 6' 180lbs and in good health. I have not put a mask on my face since this whole thing started.

1973 Formula SD455 - #'s auto orig paint
1972 Trans Am - 4 speed orig paint
1974 Formula 400 - Ram Air automatic
1966 2+2 convertible - 421 4bbl automatic
1967 Grand Prix - 4 speed orig paint
1967 GTO - 4 speed orig paint 35k orig miles
Old 02-24-2021, 08:39 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I received the Moderna vaccine 2 weeks ago. I had some shoulder pain day 1 Day 2 I felt run down all day but that was the worst of it. Im 52 and I work in a large power plant. I have alot of elderly people I'm around and I don't want to give it to anyone. We have had several large outbreaks where I work and we can not shut down.

Old 02-24-2021, 08:42 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I got the Moderna vaccine. First shot was just a normal soreness in the shoulder for a day, like any shot. The second shot gave me the various rotating symtoms that started 15 hours after the shot and lasted a day. Nothing major - chills/hot flashes, mild nausea, headache, loss of appetite. Nothing major. The wife had the same scenario. We just hung out in bed and watched TV together. (It counted as a date). My son just had a mild headache after his second shot and nothing with the first other than the shoulder ache.

As for someone "getting the virus" from the shot. NO, it never happened. What happened was the person was exposed to someone who had it and just had the unfortunate timing to get it after they got the shot. You cannot get the virus from the vaccination. One of my coworkers was one of those unfortunate timing guys. He got the first shot and three days later his son comes home from hockey practice feeling crappy...the son tests positive, then my coworker and his wife test positive and he got a mild case of it for a couple days. He was even able to get his second shot in the normal two week timespan.

The way I see it is yeah, maybe 90% of the people out there might get a mild case or not even know they had it all. And then there's that 10% who die from it. Are you willing to take that Russian roulette gamble?

Anecdotally, the above stats seem to be true in my case. I know about a dozen close friends who came down with zero symptoms or a mild case: one guy said all it gave him were really bizarre nightmares for a week. (He refuses to elaborate, so they must have been REALLY interesting!!!) :-) And then there's my other two friends who died from it. One was hit so fast he didn't even make it to his doctor's appointment on Monday. He was found dead on his living room floor on a Friday. Both guys were in their early 50's with no comorbidities other than being overweight by a few pounds.

The Following User Says Thank You to njsteve For This Useful Post:
Old 02-24-2021, 08:44 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Guys,I did not change my life a lot since this started,Went to Louisiana last August and fished for 5 days,planes left the center seat open,In Late November I went on a 7 day fishing trip on a 95 ft boat with 25 of my closest friend I NEVER met.We all had to get a rapid test no more than 3 days from the boat boarding.I belong to a fishing club with many doctors some retired.ALL of them have received the vaccine and recommended to all of us when avail to get it.As I have told many of my friends,your body your choice.Im 75, God willing on seeing 76,a chronic bronchial asthmatic and just figured if it my time so be it.Hope to see everyone at Norwalk this year.Tom

The Following User Says Thank You to tom s For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread