Old 03-29-2021, 06:03 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default who has the best deal for a complete exhaust system

i have a 72 formula 400 . i need to get a new exhaust system for my car , who has the best deal for a complete bolt on system . i want to install this in my garage ( i hope)

Old 03-29-2021, 06:06 PM
Senior Chief

Headers or manifolds?

Old 03-29-2021, 06:16 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by ID67goat View Post
Headers or manifolds?
sorry i install new d-port ram air exhaust manifolds

Old 03-30-2021, 09:58 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by grd777 View Post
i have a 72 formula 400 . i need to get a new exhaust system for my car , who has the best deal for a complete bolt on system . i want to install this in my garage ( i hope)
are you looking for factory correct style or using headers for a custom install?

if custom i say pypes, i use their X pipe system & race pros mufflers & am very happy with the fit & sound. for stock i recall gardner is top rated but pricey. most other exhaust companies offer kits like flowmaster, magnaflow & even summit. of have a good local exhaust shop make one.

Old 03-30-2021, 11:24 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I picked up this 2.5" Thrush® Turbo header back system with turbo mufflers from Advance Auto for $220.39 last September. Too good of a deal to pass up. Swapping in Flowmaster 40 sereis and RARE 2.5" manifolds/downpipe.

https://www.thrushexhaust.com/thrush...ler-89023.html

Interestingly, the package arrived in a bit of a shambles and one plate was missing. Called Advance and asked for just another plate and they sent a second system. Called them to take the rest back and they told me to keep it, so now I have a replacement if/when the time comes.

1970 GTO (Granada Gold) - 400 / TH400
Old 03-30-2021, 11:48 AM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by 78w72 View Post
are you looking for factory correct style or using headers for a custom install?

if custom i say pypes, i use their X pipe system & race pros mufflers & am very happy with the fit & sound. for stock i recall gardner is top rated but pricey. most other exhaust companies offer kits like flowmaster, magnaflow & even summit. of have a good local exhaust shop make one.
I agree. I've used this Pypes set up with the same 2.5 D-port Ram Air Enterprises manifolds you have and love it.

Old 03-30-2021, 03:22 PM

I used this Thrush based transverse muffler system on my 74 Formula 400 with Pypes head pipes.
Fit good and tucked up under the car very nicely. I also used the band type clamps to connect it together. Has a nice raspy note to it when you get on it!
Very good price too!

https://www.jegs.com/i/Dynomax/289/89021/10002/-1#

74 Firebird Formula 400 4speed
70 Buick GS455 4 speed
Old 03-30-2021, 03:31 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Just saw this thread - I will likely be looking for an exhaust soon for 77 TA. I think 70-81 for exhaust is usually the same or similar.

I have seen a few guys discussing the summit system
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/s...SABEgKmAfD_BwE
Summit system says aluminized pipe and mandrel bent ! Price looks about the same as thrush/autozone system. Not sure if Thrush is mandrel bent ? though bends look pretty good.

I have a pypes 2.5" x pipe system on my 78. I used the 14" sonic turbo mufflers. It mates up to headers. I had local exhaust shop install. Just needed slight tweaking. I cant recall
but maybe they charged me $100? or $150. Thought that was pretty reasonable. I bought the pypes system about 15? years ago. I am thinking it was around $400-500 ??

I just checked the pypes system, it is now $967 with no mufflers - wow pretty pricey
https://pypesexhaust.com/i-23437340-...m-sgf911e.html

Old 03-30-2021, 05:01 PM
Senior Chief

I went with the Thrush on mine as well, but I ended up removing the saddle clamps and welding the pipes together, except for the muffler. I was impressed at how well it fit and clears, a bit louder than stock but not by much. Just perfect for me. It is not a "correct" exhaust if you are looking for factory look and sound, but I'd recommend it if you looking to get a transverse muffler and not the dual mufflers that take a beating when placed under the rear seat floors.

Old 03-30-2021, 05:30 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Buy a Gardner.

Old 03-31-2021, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbody_mike View Post
I went with the Thrush on mine as well, but I ended up removing the saddle clamps and welding the pipes together, except for the muffler. I was impressed at how well it fit and clears, a bit louder than stock but not by much. Just perfect for me. It is not a "correct" exhaust if you are looking for factory look and sound, but I'd recommend it if you looking to get a transverse muffler and not the dual mufflers that take a beating when placed under the rear seat floors.
I added the Pypes 74-75 stainless tips on the Thrush system and it came out pretty well....looks real close to stock.
The transverse muffler tucks up out of the way much better that duals ever could.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0391.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	77.9 KB
ID:	563733  

70 Buick GS455 4 speed
Old 03-31-2021, 07:54 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by sp4spd View Post
I used this Thrush based transverse muffler system on my 74 Formula 400 with Pypes head pipes.
Fit good and tucked up under the car very nicely. I also used the band type clamps to connect it together. Has a nice raspy note to it when you get on it!
Very good price too!

https://www.jegs.com/i/Dynomax/289/89021/10002/-1#
My TA has this very system, fit is good sound is good price is good . Click the link https://youtu.be/T10N0u31gl8

Old 03-31-2021, 01:36 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by sp4spd View Post
I added the Pypes 74-75 stainless tips on the Thrush system and it came out pretty well....looks real close to stock.
The transverse muffler tucks up out of the way much better that duals ever could.
Nice, is that the long or short tips? Other than cutting the tail pipes did you have to change the bend to get them to fit? Did you weld them or clamp them?

Old 03-31-2021, 03:07 PM

Mike,
I used the long tips as my car is a 74 Formula.
I had to weld a small ~4" extension on the pipe out of the muffler on the vertical drop to make the tips extend out far enough beyond the bumper. No other bending was required, just pivoting the pipe in the muffler to get the right angle of the dangle!
I think that there is enough length on the tail pipe to go out to the bumper, I cut mine as I wanted the "Hockey Stick" tips as is stock with my car.

70 Buick GS455 4 speed
Old 04-01-2021, 05:41 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I have been impressed and use the systems from "Classic Exhaust". Sound exactly like the factory systems and are very reasonable. IMO, you can't beat them if you want the factory look and sound. 5 systems installed and they all sound factory.