Old 03-26-2021, 12:38 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Jeff,

There are two sandlewood's. The lighter of the two is the tan color (which GM called medium sandalwood) that was used on the seats and interior trim panels. The darker sandalwood was used on the metal part of the dash, the metal panel under the rear window, the dash pad and filler panels, front kick panels and front floor console.

The paint formula for the darker sandalwood will include an additive which is like finely ground sand, I think they call it "suede." When added to the paint, this will make the texture of the painted surface feel like very light sandpaper, I believe this was to reflect glare, which is why the darker color was used on the metal panel under the rear window, even though it seems as though this part should be the lighter color in order to blend with the upper inner quarter trim panels (which are the tan color). The textured paint is only used on the metal dash and the metal panel under the rear window.

There has been some discussion as to which color was used on the rear package tray, the lighter color or the darker color. I'm not 100% sure which is correct, but I used the darker color on my car because I thought looked the best.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gator67 View Post

Also, are there any other areas besides the top of the dash that should get sprayed with the Sandalwood color?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP9440.int2.done.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	58.9 KB
ID:	563372   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP9437.int.done.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	67.0 KB
ID:	563373   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP9452.int4.done.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	49.8 KB
ID:	563374   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP9808.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	58.6 KB
ID:	563375  

Last edited by eaglesan13; 03-26-2021 at 12:47 PM.
Old 03-26-2021, 01:55 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Thanks Chris! I forgot about the piece under the rear window. I actually just re-read the email you sent me back in 2013 where you described what you did with your interior (including paint codes, etc). This, along with the paint sample and carpet swatch you sent me last year, will be huge help.

Old 03-26-2021, 09:30 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by eaglesan13 View Post

There has been some discussion as to which color was used on the rear package tray, the lighter color or the darker color. I'm not 100% sure which is correct, but I used the darker color on my car because I thought looked the best.
My sandalwood interior TA still has the original paint on the metal piece across the bottom of the back window, and it is the dark sandalwood color.

70 Formula RA III / M21 / Lucerne Blue / Bright Blue
Old 03-27-2021, 12:50 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Keith,

I agree that the metal piece across the bottom of the back window should be the dark sandalwood. What I was referring to was the actual package tray itself. Some people told me that the package tray should be the lighter color, while others said it was the darker color. I seem to recall I got the lighter one and didn't like it, so I bought a darker colored one and used that one. However, it was so long ago that I built that car, I'm not 100% sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by keith k View Post
My sandalwood interior TA still has the original paint on the metal piece across the bottom of the back window, and it is the dark sandalwood color.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMGP9840.19.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	36.6 KB
ID:	563476   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP9808.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	58.6 KB
ID:	563477  

Last edited by eaglesan13; 03-27-2021 at 01:05 PM.
Old 04-06-2021, 09:23 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Now that Randy's making progress with the body, it's time for me to get organized and figure out what I'm missing.

Starting with the upper half interior trim, I found what I think are the correct windshield pillar moldings and headliner side moldings. I'm less confident about the other pieces, which I assume may be the upper windshield and rear window trim. From the photo, do these look right?

I think this just leaves the sail panels. Are these all the same for all 2nd gen f bodies? If not what are the differences?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_1836D.jpg
Size:	56.5 KB
ID:	564230  

Old 04-06-2021, 10:07 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Now that Randy's making progress with the body, it's time for me to get organized and figure out what I'm missing.

Starting with the upper half interior trim, I found what I think are the correct windshield pillar moldings and headliner side moldings. I'm less confident about the other pieces, which I assume may be the upper windshield and rear window trim. From the photo, do these look right?

I think this just leaves the sail panels. Are these all the same for all 2nd gen f bodies? If not what are the differences?
Yep - looks like you've got the right stuff.

I believe all the sail panels from 70-74 are effectively interchangeable, although I think there were some subtle design changes through the years (someone more expert than I am in the 73/74 cars may know otherwise). '75 and later are of course different because of the back window wrapping around.

Old 04-06-2021, 10:10 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by eaglesan13 View Post
Keith,

I agree that the metal piece across the bottom of the back window should be the dark sandalwood. What I was referring to was the actual package tray itself. Some people told me that the package tray should be the lighter color, while others said it was the darker color. I seem to recall I got the lighter one and didn't like it, so I bought a darker colored one and used that one. However, it was so long ago that I built that car, I'm not 100% sure.
Ah, got it. Yes, based on the few original sandalwood cars I've kept pictures of, the darker color on the package tray is what appears to be correct. (Presumably for the same reason the dash top is darker... it reduces glare on bright days)

Old 04-07-2021, 07:29 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I have some 73/74 sail panels, the sail panel has a cutout area, which I think is for the shoulder belt mount? I've seen same year cars with and without the hole, so maybe it's a plant thing?

EDIT: No idea the source of this sail panel though.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Sail19.jpg
Size:	60.3 KB
ID:	564244  

1970 GTO Judge Tribute Pro-Tour Project 535 IA2
http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=760624
1971 Trans Am 463, 315cfm E-head Sniper XFlow EFI, TKO600 extreme, 9", GW suspension, Baer brakes, pro tour car
https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com...ght=procharger
Theme Song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7zKAS...ature=youtu.be

Last edited by HWYSTR455; 04-07-2021 at 07:34 AM.
Old 04-07-2021, 12:41 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I believe at some point prior to 75, the coat hook moved from the roof to the sail panel (along with a bezel), so that probably explains the hole in yours HWY. The other consideration is that at some point the headliner changed from bows to the one-piece deal. I'm wondering if the sail panels are the same for both types of headliners, and if not, did the change occur prior to or after the change with the coat hooks? If prior, this would mean there might be three different sail panels for 70-73; no coat hook hole, coat hook hole, coat hook hole one-piece headliner.

Old 04-07-2021, 12:47 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by HWYSTR455 View Post
I have some 73/74 sail panels, the sail panel has a cutout area, which I think is for the shoulder belt mount? I've seen same year cars with and without the hole, so maybe it's a plant thing?

EDIT: No idea the source of this sail panel though.
By the way, your theme song is responsible for the arthritis in my left hand! Some people make that solo look so effortless.

Old 04-07-2021, 12:55 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
I believe at some point prior to 75, the coat hook moved from the roof to the sail panel (along with a bezel), so that probably explains the hole in yours HWY. The other consideration is that at some point the headliner changed from bows to the one-piece deal. I'm wondering if the sail panels are the same for both types of headliners, and if not, did the change occur prior to or after the change with the coat hooks? If prior, this would mean there might be three different sail panels for 70-73; no coat hook hole, coat hook hole, coat hook hole one-piece headliner.

Kind of why I'm asking, I plan on going to the late-73-74-up type headliner, ABS type headliner, and trying to figure out the trim pieces. I prefer the sail panel without the hole, I never use the coat hooks anyway. Think I will start a separate thread....

Quote:
By the way, your theme song is responsible for the arthritis in my left hand! Some people make that solo look so effortless.
Heheh! Heck yeah! Wish I had a dollar for every time I would hang with folks back in the day in garages as they practiced that lick! Although that link is a live version, it a mix of clips edited into one, but at least it is all clips from them doing that song!

1970 GTO Judge Tribute Pro-Tour Project 535 IA2
http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=760624
1971 Trans Am 463, 315cfm E-head Sniper XFlow EFI, TKO600 extreme, 9", GW suspension, Baer brakes, pro tour car
https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com...ght=procharger
Theme Song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7zKAS...ature=youtu.be
Old 04-07-2021, 01:04 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by HWYSTR455 View Post
Kind of why I'm asking, I plan on going to the late-73-74-up type headliner, ABS type headliner, and trying to figure out the trim pieces. I prefer the sail panel without the hole, I never use the coat hooks anyway. Think I will start a separate thread....

Heheh! Heck yeah! Wish I had a dollar for every time I would hang with folks back in the day in garages as they practiced that lick! Although that link is a live version, it a mix of clips edited into one, but at least it is all clips from them doing that song!

Lazy is just as tough for me.

Old 04-07-2021, 11:01 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I just came across this thread for the first time. Keep it up! Loving the build

Spotts Built 484" IA2, Highports, EFI Northwind
Terminator X sequential EFI fabrication and suspension by
https://www.funkhouserracecars.com/
Old 04-08-2021, 04:07 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Had Roland Hall rebuild the original hood hinges a couple years ago. He did a great job. Sheetmetal fit looking OK so far. Next up is the bumper and valence.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0459.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	58.2 KB
ID:	564317   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1840.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	69.7 KB
ID:	564318   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1838.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	67.1 KB
ID:	564319   Click image for larger version

Name:	front hood.jpg
Views:	183
Size:	74.2 KB
ID:	564320  

Old 04-17-2021, 02:43 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The front wheels & tires fit with no issues. Almost ready to take it apart again. Will be using the original bolts, so we'll be sending those out. Also have a bucket of stuff to get plated as well. Was going to have the core support and inner fenders powered, but may have these prettied up, so may paint instead.

Still trying to work out a few details and things we've forgotten about...for example, welding the bumper bracket to tail panel.

I'm wondering how the back of the rear wheel well looks on an original car. Not sure if we're missing anything there. Can someone post a photo please?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_1883D.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	61.9 KB
ID:	564917  

Old 04-20-2021, 01:22 PM
Ultimate Warrior

She's getting a whole lotta love
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_1952.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	64.7 KB
ID:	565066  

Old 04-22-2021, 10:29 PM
Ultimate Warrior

How should the bent areas at the end of the window sweeps be positioned? I seems like the ends will scratch the paint regardless of whether they're bent in or out. Or do you snip the end off and round the edge? I've only decor molding cars so never had to deal with the stainless beads
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_1965.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	40.9 KB
ID:	565230  

Old 04-22-2021, 10:50 PM
Senior Chief

Here's a couple reference shots Jeff...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_20210422_193716.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	44.3 KB
ID:	565231   Click image for larger version

Name:	decor2.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	42.6 KB
ID:	565232  

Old 04-22-2021, 11:38 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by GREGGDOG View Post
Here's a couple reference shots Jeff...
Thanks Gregg, very helpful. Also appreciate the help with the other issues.

Old 04-23-2021, 12:56 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Spent a few hours at Fesler yesterday and after sitting in all their seats again, I decided on the Recaro Expert M. They carry 2-3 models each from Recaro, Corbeau, Cerullo, and ProCar. I was struck by how different each seat felt..and how certain I was about which one felt the best to me. I talked to them about rebuilding the original '70 seats with bigger bolsters and so forth so I don't slide around, but they told me the seats would end up being more expensive than the Recaros and not nearly as good.

My plan is to buy the Recaros in cloth (cheapest option) and have it recovered to mimic 70 seat pattern. I wanted to go with leather, but I couldn't find anything that matched the Sandalwood sample I got from Legendary--I looked at samples from like 20 different vendors, and then samples of nice vinyls. I found shades that were close, but they all looked a little off next to dark sandalwood sample and carpet swatch I got from Chris. It's weird how unique those colors are...a super subtle greenish hue that isn't in any contemporary shades.

So I think the solution may be to get rolls of material from Legendary or some other source for the front and rear seats (I have modify the rears to fit because it's mini-tubbed).