Old 04-11-2021, 09:45 PM
Senior Chief

Default Trunk lid Operation

Ok, so on my spoiler added 72 I finally changed one of the trunk hinge torsion rods with a spoiler car one. I got an OEM one. as I heard mixed things about the OER ones.
So I changed it out, and now the trunk lid stays open on its own. But I am not sure what the factory setting was.
Currently I can open the trunk and the lid will spring open gently to the full open position. I can manually lower the lid to the half closed position and it will stay on its own in that position.
However I can also adjust the rods to make the lid spring back to full open from any position. In this adjustment, when the trunk is opened it will spring to full open with strong force, not damaging, but it is quick.
What was the action like on spoiler equipped trunk lids when they were setup at the factory?

Old 04-12-2021, 03:26 PM
Ultimate Warrior

If hinges are lubed, they can spring up with force on the top lug setting. They are supposed to be able to stay at 8 inches up, or all the way up.

Old 04-12-2021, 07:08 PM
Senior Chief

Thanks Bruce, sounds like I got the setting right by the 8 inch static open spec.

Time to ditch my makeshift prop rod.