THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 04-16-2021, 10:03 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Car Key Difficulties

Annoying little story with a happy ending:

I bought a '75 Firebird that only had one set of keys. So I went to a locksmith to get copies. (I've had good luck with these guys before).

They picked a "C" blank and carved up a new ignition key. I got home and found it wouldn't even go in the lock more than halfway. Blank is obviously different upon closer inspection.

Go back to the same locksmith. They made up another key using a different blank. This one goes in 3/4 of the way and stops.

Go to the Ames catalog. It's obvious from their listings that there are (2) "C" blanks; one for 1976 and one for 1980. Guessing that my '75 got made with a '76 lock, I ordered the 1976 "C". I try it in the lock and it slides in perfectly.

I go to a different locksmith to get it cut. Saturday morning, 10:00 am. Sign says they're open 9-noon but nobody is there. Grrrrr....

Monday morning, I stop by the GMC Cadillac dealer that used to sell Pontiacs. They cut the Ames (GM) keys, no charge and they work PERFECT.

Kudos to Ames and the GMC dealer.

Eric

Life begins at the end of your comfort zone.

“The mind, once stretched by a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions.”
Old 04-16-2021, 10:20 AM

That’s weird about the locks, or keys why in the world would something like that be changed from (75 to 76? It always amazes me how tiny things were changed from year to year like that. Finding out while working on our cars little changes from 77 to 78. Glad you got it sorted out, the smallest things like that can be so frustrating.

~MaryAnn~ AKA "Stickybuns"
1969 Firebird 400 Convertible
1978 Bandit T/A Tribute
1977 RED TA

I'm the FiredUp PY bad girl
Old 04-16-2021, 10:57 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Ya. 70's GM cars where changed bout every 2 years.

GM parts dept guy here.
I hate keys!
Get calls nearly every day from people lost their only key and remote.
Then bip why so expensive.

$30 to get key code from GM.
$40 for security key(needs programing).
Remote xmtr's run $150-$250 depending on vehicle. $80 to program.
Some vehicles have to be towed in 1st.

Anyone with newer vehicles, make sure least have 1 if not 2 back ups 2 jic.

http://s207.photobucket.com/albums/b...hop/?start=100

Last edited by Region Warrior; 04-16-2021 at 11:13 AM.
Old 04-16-2021, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Region Warrior View Post
GM parts dept guy here.
I hate keys!
Get calls nearly every day from people lost their only key and remote.
Then bip why so expensive.

$30 to get key code from GM.
$40 for security key(needs programing).
Remote xmtr's run $150-$250 depending on vehicle. $80 to program.

Anyone with newer vehicles, make sure least have 1 back up set if not 2 jic.

Ahhhhhhh yes life was so simple when you had an old car funny we never lost our 3 Pontiac keys back when keys were cool. lol yes I have 3. No expensive replacements, no battery to go dead when you’re at the piggly wiggly, and are now locked out of your car, and cars were cool colors and styles so you never needed to push a panic button to find them in the parking lot. Lol

1978 Bandit T/A Tribute
1977 RED TA

Old 04-16-2021, 12:00 PM

When I had to try and get additional keys for the Avalanche all the local places like Home Depot and Ace hardware wanted to charge 40-100 just for the key because of the chip inside. I looked at ebay and bought two blanks and two key fobs for 16.00. I went to Home Depot and they will cut keys for free if you bring them the blanks, well I had some older guy tell me he couldn't do it because of the chip. Some young kid came along and said yes we can and cut the keys for me. The keys and fobs are programmed from the vehicle itself as long as you have a working key and fob to begin with. Buying keys can turn into an expensive endeavor

Old 04-16-2021, 01:36 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elarson View Post
Annoying little story with a happy ending:

I bought a '75 Firebird that only had one set of keys. So I went to a locksmith to get copies. (I've had good luck with these guys before).

They picked a "C" blank and carved up a new ignition key. I got home and found it wouldn't even go in the lock more than halfway. Blank is obviously different upon closer inspection.

Go back to the same locksmith. They made up another key using a different blank. This one goes in 3/4 of the way and stops.

Go to the Ames catalog. It's obvious from their listings that there are (2) "C" blanks; one for 1976 and one for 1980. Guessing that my '75 got made with a '76 lock, I ordered the 1976 "C". I try it in the lock and it slides in perfectly.

I go to a different locksmith to get it cut. Saturday morning, 10:00 am. Sign says they're open 9-noon but nobody is there. Grrrrr....

Monday morning, I stop by the GMC Cadillac dealer that used to sell Pontiacs. They cut the Ames (GM) keys, no charge and they work PERFECT.

Kudos to Ames and the GMC dealer.

Eric
Did they “cut” the keys with a key cutter? When I worked for Pontiac we had the tool that actually cut each tooth separately. Of course you needed the key code or the experience to “read” the code from the original key. Never had much luck with ground keys from HD.

Old 04-16-2021, 02:03 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Had issues with 2 GM cars with the resistor pellet in the key. One time at work in my '91 Allante, the thing would not crank but displayed "security starter inhibit"...couldn't start it had to get it towed. The prob was the key contacts in the steering column. Cut the wires at the module and wired in the proper resistor value. No more key issues.

Most recently same thing on my old '98 Eldo...prob was intermittent..fixed it the same way. permanent fix. Tech is great .......... when it works.

George

Old 04-16-2021, 02:26 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Knowing a parts man well at a GM dealership........Priceless.

1984 Grand Prix

100% Pontiacs in my driveway!!! What's in your driveway?

If you don't take some of the RACETRACK home with you, Ya got cheated

Old 04-16-2021, 05:30 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Glad it worked out for you.

A few years ago I had to get an extra for my wifes mercedes, one key was $125. A guy posted on another forum that he bought a replacement fob for a new Bentley, it was something stupid like $1500.

Old 04-16-2021, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAKerry View Post
Glad it worked out for you.

A few years ago I had to get an extra for my wifes mercedes, one key was $125. A guy posted on another forum that he bought a replacement fob for a new Bentley, it was something stupid like $1500.

When I had my Challenger, they would give me new batteries for both key fobs when the car was there for inspection. I wonder when we won’t need key fobs, our cars ignition will be an APP on our phones lol just hold it at the car and it will open it and start it.

1978 Bandit T/A Tribute
1977 RED TA

Old 04-16-2021, 10:25 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by misterp266 View Post
Did they “cut” the keys with a key cutter? When I worked for Pontiac we had the tool that actually cut each tooth separately. Of course you needed the key code or the experience to “read” the code from the original key. Never had much luck with ground keys from HD.
The locksmith and the dealer both used grinders.

It seems like every house key that I had ground at the local Lowe's would work IF you pushed it in and then pulled it back out slightly. I quit using them for keys.

Eric

Life begins at the end of your comfort zone.

“The mind, once stretched by a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions.”
Old 04-16-2021, 11:42 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I think one of the brands says you can use their app to unlock, start and drive the car- maybe Kia?

Old 04-17-2021, 01:37 AM
Ultimate Warrior

The were vehicles with Smart keys are expensive, 3-400 for 1 key. You say you only need one, LOL, then you loose then one you have.
Tow to shop, order new fob and program it thru Toyota, because you lost all keys you have to erase and relearn the system to 1 new key.
1.5 hrs labour. Then you have to order the key that fits the drivers door lock cylinder separately , they are an inside cut key, not many places up here can cut them.
so calls to Toyota to get a precept key by serial number.
Moral of the story is don't lose your keys.

Old 04-17-2021, 03:24 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I thought I remembered a key machine for auto keys back in the 60's 70's that instead of grinding the keys it sheared the notches, was handheld I think, with a set of dials on the top for each notch.

Old 04-17-2021, 07:42 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by dataway View Post
I thought I remembered a key machine for auto keys back in the 60's 70's that instead of grinding the keys it sheared the notches, was handheld I think, with a set of dials on the top for each notch.
Saw an episode of Columbo with a guy using that!

As far as the key fobs, my newest car is 'OLD', so im not used to new fangled stuff. My buddy let me take his Zo6 for a spin and it had the push button start. First I had seen something like that, other than cars from the 30's! I havent been in too many new cars but I suppose they all have fobs and push button start now. I would imagine a phone app is either in place or not too far away. My wifes boss just bought a Subaru that uses facial recognition for settings.

All too much for me, give me my 1977 car and Im happy.

Old 04-17-2021, 07:47 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by dataway View Post
Those machines were to make a new key using the factory codes, rather than copying an existing key that most retail key duplicating machine used. GM dealers had them for the most part at their parts counters, I personally have never seen one of the detent cutters at any retail locksmith stores.

They also came with a go, no go, gauge so you could gauge an old key, and make a new one using the gauge to reveal the code. I always preferred to have keys cut with one of them, as opposed to the motorized key duplicating machine, especially if the key was worn that you were currently using. Even though tumblers would wear in the lock cylinders a new key would many times restore good operation to a lock that didn't operate well with the old worn key.

1984 Grand Prix

100% Pontiacs in my driveway!!! What's in your driveway?

If you don't take some of the RACETRACK home with you, Ya got cheated

Old 04-17-2021, 09:07 AM
Senior Chief

Location: Gilroy, California, USA-Garlic Capital of the world!
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by george kujanski View Post
Cut the wires at the module and wired in the proper resistor value. No more key issues.
Yup. Same with my '99 Bonneville. "Read" the key with my multimeter to get the ohm value, resistors cost less than a buck for 5 at Radio Shack. Took about 10 minutes. GM cars of that era were famous for that issue.

~Jack Handey, Deep Thoughts
Old 04-17-2021, 09:18 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Wow. I now carry, or when I worked,a 2nd key in my lunch box for the times I would hit the door locks when exiting truck by accident at 6.30am. First time I heard a noise,then door locked ,oh !!@. I always took my lunch box inside with me. My 70 F, I got keys at local family business. First key did not work even giving them my old keys.They had to use another blank.

Old 04-17-2021, 09:57 AM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by misterp266 View Post
When I worked at Chevy Central Office in the late 70’s we used the handheld cutter to make replacement keys. Didn’t have a key grinder. The cutter was made by Curtis Industries and you can find the cutter on eBay. To use the cutter I had to learn how to “read” a key. Could be difficult to read a key if it was really worn.

Old 04-17-2021, 10:08 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Good story.

Dropped my keys in the bonfire. Found them in the ashes the next day. Chrysler wants $300 for the Keyfob. NO! so im using the cooked & blistered Keyfob because it still works.

Lincoln keyfob is a throwaway: 2 for $12 on Amazon.