Old 01-05-2005, 07:22 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I think it would be interesting to see one of those manual shift cars- if any exist. From what I have been able to gather- 3-speed manual was even standard on the Grand Villes early in the year, but I would imagine that ALL of those were automatics. According to my 1971 GM sales full-line brochure w/option prices, the 3-speed manual shift was standard even on the Buick LeSabre, Centurion and Estate Wagon, but was quickly dropped very early in the year on the Centurion and Estate Wagon. Someone on the BCA (Buick Club of America) confirmed that at least one 1971 Buick Centurion had 3-speed manual shift and it was a convertible. I would guess that even a few more LeSabre's may have had manual shift, but probably very few as well. Also, according to that brochure, 3-speed manual was standard on the Oldsmobile Delta 88, Delta 88 Royale and even the Custom Cruiser wagon.

It was obviously also standard on the early 1971 full-size Chevrolets- including the top of the line Caprice.

One car I found very rare was a 1971 Chevrolet Caprice (top of the line Chevrolet for 71') 4dr on E-Bay a while back. It had a lot of options- power windows, power locks, tilt, A/C w/auto control, power seat, AM-FM radio 8-track, but it had 3-speed manual shift! I late found out that 3-speed manual shift was standard on the early Caprice in 1971, before automatic was made standard. I would not be suprised if that was the only 71' Caprice with manual shift and I am guessing that with those options, that it was a special ordered model anyway.

My cars (or should I say "TANKS") -
72' Chevrolet Caprice Kingswood Estate 3-seat wagon (402)
73' Pontiac Grand Ville Custom 4dr hdtp (455)
90' Buick Century Custom 4dr sedan (3.3L)
95' Lincoln Town Car Signature Series (4.6L)
Old 01-05-2005, 08:46 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The info I have is from John Gunnell's book, "75 Years of Pontiac-Oakland." It says manual transmission availability was dropped on March 1 1971. The production numbers he found showed there were 2 Grand Villes, 0 Grand Safaris, 4 Bonnevilles, 6 Catalina Broughams, 30 Catalina Safaris, and 144 base Catalinas built with manual transmissions, for a total of 186. There were no breakdowns on body style (two door, four door, convertible.) It's anyone's guess if any of those cars still exist, I suppose.

Old 01-05-2005, 10:46 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Thanks for posting that information! Very interesting. I have been wondering how many of these were manual shift cars. I am currently researching to see how many 1971 Buicks were so equipped. I know at least 1 Centurion was and I am sure many more LeSabres were. Thanks again!

Old 01-10-2005, 08:55 PM
Ultimate Warrior

parting out this loaded 75 grandville brogham 4drhrdtp. found build sheet. her's the list:

6 way driver/pass power seats
delux seat belts
60/40 front seats
tinted glass
power windows
power door locks
trunk lid release
acoustical package (a lot os sound deadening)
front/rear floor mats
roof insulation
trunk carpet lining
body side molding
belt revel mod.
lower molding
dr edge gaurds
opera window molding
delay wiper
vinyl top
rear widow defogger
climate control
door panel lights
dome/reading lamp
sport mirrors
remote pass mirror
litter container
rh visor vanity mirror
stripe group
standard axle
256 ratio
auto level
custom trim pad
hr78-15ww tires
cruise control
hd air cleaner
455 4bbrl
m40 auto trans
std exh. syst.
dlx strg wheel
tilt
finned hub caps
convential spare (fullsize0
hd batt
cornering lamp
digital clock
am/fm 8 track stereo
vacuum gauge
rally gauges
trunk lite
glove box lite
ashtry lite
i/p courtesy lamps
cigar lighters
dual rr speakers
****ty cat. converter

this is off of the biuld sheet. FYI, ERIC

1971 bonneville hearse 455/4
1972 grand safari wagon 6 pass 455/4
1995 Firebird Formula 5.7 convertible
2002 gp 40th anniv. SC V6
2003 gmc sierra 2500hd 8.1 liter

***LIKE MY FACEBOOK PAGE https://www.facebook.com/GratefulParts***

http://stores.shop.ebay.com/GRATEFUL...__W0QQ_armrsZ1
Old 01-11-2005, 03:32 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I parted a'69 427 4dr Grand Parisiene a couple of yrs ago.A/C,PW,Fiber Optics,Rally whls,vacuum locks,tilt, PDB,Pwr seat,AM/FM Stereo,auto lift suspension,rear defog,deluxe belts,posi,and probably more I forgot.

Old 01-14-2005, 09:19 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Both of those are extremely high optioned cars.

Dedsled- do you have any photos of this 75 Grand Ville and/or your 71 Grand Ville?

Just wondering - how is your 71 Grand Ville equipped?

CDN- I imagine that your old 69 Grand Parisienne is now a very rare car- with it being that highly optioned- probably even more rare.

Old 01-15-2005, 09:47 PM
Ultimate Warrior

hey shaffer! the 75 is getting parted out. pretty much apart- options going to good homes.

my 71 is optioned like this:
<span class="ev_code_GREEN">light green w/green vinyl top/avocado interior</span>
tilt
climate control
split bench seats front/rear
power bench
power windows
power locks
power trunk release
cruise
cigar lighters
interior light package
am/fm stereo

i put on a set of rIIs, dual exhaust, rebulit/built up 455/4brl., t-400 w/shift kit, added a 3.08 posi w/convert. rear springs

climate control acts up, whole a/c is acting up again. fun car to drive in the cooler weather, windows down!
pics are on the fullsizepontiacs.com web site, along with my 71 bonneville hearse, later! eric

Old 02-03-2005, 10:32 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Yes, I have seen your car there- it is very nice. I have always really liked the 71's. I also like that shade of green on the late 60s/early 70s cars. My old 1971 Chevrolet Caprice was about the same shade of green, with a dark green vinyl top. My 71' Caprice only had A/C, AM radio, tilt wheel, and side protective strips, but my 69' Caprice is very highly optioned. Your 71' sounds like a very nicely equipped car as well. I wanted one with the auto-climate control option, but I have heard it is troublesome. The one in my old 72' Cadillac Sedan DeVille was still fine, but that was in the early 90s- car was not that old then. My old 71' Caprice and current 73' Grand Ville have the standard A/C. The controls on my 73 still work perfectly- which suprised me. I guess the "auto" system is much more complex.

Back in 1986, my uncle bought a 1-owner, like new dark brown 1971 Grand Ville 4dr for $250 - JUST FOR THE ENGINE to put in a 70' T/A he had at the time. I remember him junking the car and letting me "destroy" the car- well, as much as a 9 year old can do. Really nothing more than smashing the windows and the taillights and headlights. Back then, those cars were not rare, nor was I into those cars back then. Now, that I am a fan of these cars, I get ill thinking about it, but to a 10-year old kid, that would be a blast- especially considering that in the 80s, it was a ordinary car. I do not recall how the car was optioned, but I think it did have power windows and locks, as well as A/C. I think it also had tilt, because I think they removed the column from it.

He and my dad actually had several 70s cars that they removed the engines from, just for the engines. We used to have a 1974 Pontiac Catalina 4dr sedan that was my grandmothers car. We had a minor crash in it in 1984-85 and my dad removed the engine to put into a 1974 GTO that he had. Now, I wish I had the Catalina back.

Old 02-03-2005, 11:03 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Thanks for all of the replies. It has been very helpful.

I am still trying to figure out some of the carpeting, seat upholstery and door light options.

Does anyone know if "cut-pile" carpeting was optional on the 1971-1972 Grand Villes? I saw a 71' Grand Ville in the past with loop-pile carpet, but have seen some with cut-pile carpet and wondering it if was actually an option. I am not even sure about the 73-up carpeting either, because my 73 GV has cut-pile carpet, but it is my understanding that it was part of the "Custom" interior option. I am not even what sure what all years this "Custom" option was offered either. I am also trying to figure out what all years that the lower door courtest lights were offered and if they were optional on all years. According to my 73 Pontiac brochure, they were only optional on the Grand Ville that year, but would be interested to know if any 71-72s had that option, or if anyone has a 73-74, without lower door courtesy lights. Mine has them, as have all of the others I have seen, so wondering if any were actually ordered without them.

Seat upholstery on the Grand Villes- Particularly on the 72s, I have seen some with vinyl interior, some with a plain looking cloth and some with a luxurious looking cloth (with patterns). Also the same deal with the Catalinas and Bonnevilles- some with vinyl and cloth- wondering how many different interior options were available.

I have also noticed that some of the 71-72 Catalinas do not have the "custom cushion" steering wheel, but some do have. I know it was made standard beginning in 1973, but was the "cushion" steering wheel rim optional on the 71-72 Catalinas?
Any additional information appreciated.

The 71-72 Catalina "Brougham" seems to be a very rare model. Does anyone here have a 71-72 "Catalina Brougham"?

Also- post the photos of your 71-76 Pontiac if you have them- interior and exterior.

Thanks again.

Old 02-06-2005, 08:28 AM

I recently became the 4th owner of a 1972 Pontiac Grandville Convertible. The previous owner had the original build sheet, the 1972 Pontiac showroom brochure and the 1972 Pontiac Accessories brochure - very handy to have! Anyway - here are the specs on my G'ville:

Cardinal Red exterior, black top, white interior with standard white Morrokide notch back seats. Options:
QR9 G78x15 WW Fiberglass Tires
U69 AM-FM Radio
U80 Rear seat speaker
D33 Outside driver's remote mirror
N98 Rally II wheels
B84 Vinyl body side moldings
N33 Tilt steering wheel
B32 Front floor mats
B33 Rear floor mats
AO2 Soft Ray windshield
A31 Power windows
A41 Bench 6 way power seat
C60 Manual Air Conditioning
G66 Super Lift shocks
UA1 Heavy duty batter
V31 Front bumper guards
V32 Rear bumper guards
YE5 Protective bumper strips

Here are some thoughts on your questions about interiors for the Grand Ville. This is based on the 72 brochures, a Pontiac press release from 30th August, 1971 and the AMA specs sheets for the 72 model year:

1) Carpeting: the press release clearly states that cut pile carpeting is standard on the Grandville. However, the showroom brochure just as surely states on the back cover that "nylon loop-pile carpeting" is standard for the Grandville. Looking at the Accessories brochure and the AMA specs list, there appears to be no mention of an option that offers cut pile carpeting. Strangely, the showroom brochure in the individual descriptions of each model mentions "deep pile" carpeting for the Grandville, "rich loop-pile" for the Bonneville and "deep loop-pile" for the Catalina. Its all very confusing, but I believe that the 80/20 loop pile carpeting was the standard and the cut pile came with the 1973 model year. I could be wrong, though.

2) Door courtesy lights: according to the Accessories brochure the door courtesy lamps were indeed part of the Grandville Custom Trim package. They were also offered as a standalone option as 'Door Courtesy Lamp (Code 664 - UPC C90)'. This comes from page 17 of the Accessories brochure.

3) Seat upholstery for the 72 models: There appear to be three: the standard "cloth and Morrokide trimmed" for the bench seat; the notch-back seat with armrest came in all "Morrokide" and the upscale, optional Custom interior had the fancy brocade-look cloth interior with some Morrokide trimmings.

Hope this helps you with your research. If you like, I can send you scans of the pages I used to research this. Let me know and I'll e-mail them to you.

Koert

Old 02-06-2005, 12:31 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Thanks for that information. Yes, I would appreciate those scans if you can send them. Thanks again.

send them to ashaffer1@earthlink.net

Old 02-07-2005, 05:16 PM

Just sent them to you. Enjoy!

Old 02-07-2005, 10:45 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Thanks! I received the scans- and they were very informational.

Sounds like you have a nicely equipped Grand Ville.

Interesting about the carpeting options you mentioned - about the two books stating different information. Perhaps it was a change they made a little later in the year? I do know this was the case with the manual transmissions on many of the 71 full-size GM cars. Initially, a 3-speed manual shift was standard initially on many of them, but it was very rare. In one brochure it mentions this transmission as being standard, but in another similar book (printed a few months later) states that automatic was standard on all. Some on the Buick forums told me that their uncle printed up these brocures for GM back then and stated that this is why the brochure information varies. Does your 72' have cut-pile carpeting?

I know that on the Buick- I think it was simplier. The 71-73 LeSabres, LeSabre Customs, & Centurions had loop carpeting, but the Electras had cut-pile carpeting, but I once did see an Electra (1972) with loop carpeting, but it may have been replaced. As a previous 72' Buick Electra owner, I have been researching the Buicks as well.

Door lamps- since you show that information in your 72 brochure, the cornering lights and Custom option was at least available on the 72-73 models- probably others as well. Interesting that they used different lights on the 72s than they did on the 73s, unless that illustration was not an actual 72 Pontiac, but perhaps a older Pontiac they used just for illustration? The 73's have a white and red light on the doors, where the Pontiac in the 72 brochure shows it as being a clear light only.

You may find it interesting that Buick did not even offer these lights as an option from 1971-73- not even on the top of the line Electra Limited. They did add them beginning in 1974 however on the Electras.

Seat upholstery- The brocade cloth is what I like- it has the patterns- which is similar to the interior material in the Buick Electra Custom & Limited and Chevrolet Caprice, as well as some other "upscale" GM cars. There was/is a local 72 Grand Ville 4dr that has this upgraded brocade cloth interior. I remember it being as "luxurious" or as "upscale" as the seats in my 72 Electra 225 Custom. Some of the base Electras could have rather "plain" looking interior as well. The standard model had plain looking vinyl seat.

Here are photos of the seats in my 72 Buick Electra and following that- my old 71 Chevrolet Caprice.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Koert:
I recently became the 4th owner of a 1972 Pontiac Grandville Convertible. The previous owner had the original build sheet, the 1972 Pontiac showroom brochure and the 1972 Pontiac Accessories brochure - very handy to have! Anyway - here are the specs on my G'ville:

Cardinal Red exterior, black top, white interior with standard white Morrokide notch back seats. Options:
QR9 G78x15 WW Fiberglass Tires
U69 AM-FM Radio
U80 Rear seat speaker
D33 Outside driver's remote mirror
N98 Rally II wheels
B84 Vinyl body side moldings
N33 Tilt steering wheel
B32 Front floor mats
B33 Rear floor mats
AO2 Soft Ray windshield
A31 Power windows
A41 Bench 6 way power seat
C60 Manual Air Conditioning
G66 Super Lift shocks
UA1 Heavy duty batter
V31 Front bumper guards
V32 Rear bumper guards
YE5 Protective bumper strips

Here are some thoughts on your questions about interiors for the Grand Ville. This is based on the 72 brochures, a Pontiac press release from 30th August, 1971 and the AMA specs sheets for the 72 model year:

1) Carpeting: the press release clearly states that cut pile carpeting is standard on the Grandville. However, the showroom brochure just as surely states on the back cover that "nylon loop-pile carpeting" is standard for the Grandville. Looking at the Accessories brochure and the AMA specs list, there appears to be no mention of an option that offers cut pile carpeting. Strangely, the showroom brochure in the individual descriptions of each model mentions "deep pile" carpeting for the Grandville, "rich loop-pile" for the Bonneville and "deep loop-pile" for the Catalina. Its all very confusing, but I believe that the 80/20 loop pile carpeting was the standard and the cut pile came with the 1973 model year. I could be wrong, though.

2) Door courtesy lights: according to the Accessories brochure the door courtesy lamps were indeed part of the Grandville Custom Trim package. They were also offered as a standalone option as 'Door Courtesy Lamp (Code 664 - UPC C90)'. This comes from page 17 of the Accessories brochure.

3) Seat upholstery for the 72 models: There appear to be three: the standard "cloth and Morrokide trimmed" for the bench seat; the notch-back seat with armrest came in all "Morrokide" and the upscale, optional Custom interior had the fancy brocade-look cloth interior with some Morrokide trimmings.

Hope this helps you with your research. If you like, I can send you scans of the pages I used to research this. Let me know and I'll e-mail them to you.

Koert <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	72electrarearseat2.JPG
Views:	301
Size:	26.1 KB
ID:	21183  

Old 02-07-2005, 10:47 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

More of the Electra seats:

(my Electra also had cut-pile carpeting- virtually idential to the carpet in my 73 Grand Ville).
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	72electrarearseat.JPG
Views:	285
Size:	24.6 KB
ID:	23296  

Old 02-07-2005, 10:47 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Another of the Electra-
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	72electradashpanel.JPG
Views:	283
Size:	47.7 KB
ID:	5978  

Old 02-07-2005, 10:54 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Here is the photo that shows a little part of the seat on my old 1971 Chevrolet Caprice 4dr hdtp. Interior was ragged to say the least, but it was a good old car. I regret selling it.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	71capricedash.JPG
Views:	288
Size:	36.7 KB
ID:	8194  

Old 02-07-2005, 10:55 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Finally, here is a photo of Robs (a member here) 72' Grand Ville 4dr. You can see a bit of the seat- it has the "upgrade" interior as well.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	72grandvilleinterior4dr.jpg
Views:	277
Size:	60.1 KB
ID:	10404  

Old 02-10-2005, 02:49 PM
Ultimate Warrior

hey! my 71 grandville has the same interior as rob's 72. exact color interior too. i call it the paisley psychedelic option. my 71 bonneville hearse door panels are the same material, but in gold. i really like that material. definitely a period piece, but a really cool material. it brings out the 70's nicely! , eric

Old 02-14-2005, 09:16 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Neat. I really like that shade of green inside of green in a late 60s to an early 70s car. Do you have any interior photos of your 71 Grand Ville?

In comparison- here is another photo of my 73 instrument panel in comparison with Rob's 72 posted above. Pretty much the same- the steering wheels stayed identical.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG00026.jpg
Views:	257
Size:	52.5 KB
ID:	12240  

Old 02-15-2005, 04:40 PM

Sorry for the slow response - have been trying to find a fuel sending unit for my 72 G'ville. Hard part to find. Anyway. That is strange that a Buick, particularly the high-zoot Electra, would be lacking an option availble on other GM models. I confess that I've always had a fondness for Buick Electras. My Mom owned a 1960 Electra 225 and my aunt owned a '62 Electra 225. Talk about class!

I really liked the GM 72 model line-up, for some reason. If there had been a Buick Electra convertible, then that is what I would have gone for, but I really like my Grandville - its a total pleasure to drive.

As for interiors, below is a picsof the interior of my car. Since this was taken, I had the original brownish 80/20 loop pile replaced with black loop pile. I do like the "paisley psychadelic" look, but in a convertible I suppose cloth seats are probably not the brightest thing to have!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Front_seat_and_instrument_panel.jpg
Views:	249
Size:	87.6 KB
ID:	16075