Old 03-23-2020, 10:18 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gen2guy View Post
Damn you 78w now I got to paint my Vectors for the 2nd time in a week to argent lol. Heck this art print even has the Hurst Hatches like mine and not the Fisher tops.
LOL. sorry! thats a cool print, i saved it for a screen saver.

heres my quick story on doing color changes... after my silver t/a died from daily driving in iowa winters & a couple fender benders (i was a stupid teenager) i missed that car for 10+ years, so i searched for another t/a to put in the 455/th400 i saved from the silver one & fully planned to paint it silver. 1st car i found with help of a friend in arizona was a 1981 white t/a, this was before the internet & all the info we have now... when i drove out there to pick it up i found it was a turbo 301 car & had these strange red & black recaro seats i had never seen before, i drove it home & started to plan the resto-mod but after a year or 2 & early internet access i found it was a daytona pace car & had 25k original miles on it... so i decided to leave it alone for the time being & drove it a couple hundred miles per year for 10 years, just couldnt bring myself to make it a hot rod.

then about the same 10 years later time i started to look for another 78 since thats what i really wanted & planned the 455/th400 & silver paint thing, found a 78 hardtop 4 speed on ebay in california but it had a 1968 350 in it, which was perfect since i planned to do a 455 swap. had the car shipped here & the seller said he would put a bunch of parts in the trunk including a 400 block. got the car home & looked everything over & found the 400 was the original WC block & the trans was original st-10 & rest of car was original besides the 350 & had 50k miles. after some more thinking i decided to not mess with that one either & kept it black & rebuilt the 400 with some minor mods. it came with gold decals & had a red interior, the red interior was perfect for the silver paint but didnt work with the gold decals & black paint, just too 70's disco looking for me... so i went with the red/charcoal decals for silver & white cars & they work great with the red interior & its somewhat unique of a color combo.

i always liked the 70-73 cars & decided i wanted a 72 which is the year i was born... so about 5 years ago i lucked into finding a 72 local to me that was from oklohoma & 99% rust free but no motor/trans, so that was the perfect car to build how i wanted.. but it was RED . by that time stroker motors were popular so i sold the 455 & went with a early 70's 400 & stroked it with aluminum heads etc etc then painted it a modern BMW charcoal silver instead of the bright platinum.

after all that, i have 3 restored birds all because of my desire to recreate my old silver t/a. & for the 81 for sure if i painted it silver & swapped the motor it would not be worth what it is as original, same for the 78, especially being black. times have changed & "resale red" isnt what it was in the 70 & 80's... for t/a's, black is good as gold for resale value because everyone & their brother wants a bandit car.

some dont like silver, some dont like red, etc etc. paint it how you want but being #'s matching i say do some searches for the silver WS6 cars & reconsider the red on red, IMO the platinum is one of, if not the best looking 78-79 WS6 W72 t/a's of any year 2nd gen! keep us posted on the resto process.