Old 12-06-2014, 08:26 PM

Default 2006 GXP

Thinking of picking up an 06 GXP. 5.3 and loaded. Anyone got any tips on how good these cars are and how strong they are. Car has 128 k on it.

Old 12-07-2014, 11:31 AM
Senior Chief

I bought a 2006 white GXP years ago and absolutely loved it. The 5.3 is one of GMs better motors and the tuned one they put in the GXPs will not disappoint. That car may have one of the best factory exhaust sounds in decades.

The 2005's tended to have a lot more transmission failures while the 2006's didn't. I followed a GXP board for a while and saw that trend.

The one thing that annoyed me on my GXP was the endless rattles and squeaks in the interior. I spent a good amount of time trying to resolve them and I had some success, but the hard plastics and miscellaneous fit and finish issues kept me annoyed.

Overall, the car was excellent, with a few annoyances, and it was one helluva great performer. I don't think the 128k mileage will be a big issue, but I would highly recommend servicing the tranny.

You're going to also be faced with the different size tires issue between the front and rear...and they're not particularly cheap.

I would recommend the car as I think you'd enjoy it, but there are some issues with those models, and there are some extra costs involved over and above the standard GPs.

Old 12-07-2014, 12:07 PM

Thank's for the input. I'll test drive it Monday and there asking 5995.00 or B/O. Getting fed up with the 01 SSEI. Hard shifts and constant service engine lights. I love the 5.3 since I have one in my Silverado. Good power and torque with good fuel mileage. Mike

Old 12-07-2014, 10:33 PM
Senior Chief

Take a whiff of the tranny fluid once you pull the dipstick, and closely look at it's color.

The 5.3 in those GPs does have the 4-cyl shut-off system (Active Fuel Management, or something like that) and you'll get surprisingly acceptable gas mileage if your on the highway.

I've been pondering getting another myself now that the kids are a little more grown.

Old 09-18-2017, 09:01 PM
Ultimate Warrior

My '08 GXP V8 got 27.6 mpg on our 450 mile trip this past weekend. I've never gotten that good of gas mileage on a V8 in my lifetime, and I've owned a lot of Pontiac V8's. The response and power of the LS4 engine is amazing.

I have no interior rattles with the '08, but the suspension is very harsh when hitting potholes or sharp bumps in the road. I blame it on the 18" low profile tires, which put the rims only about 2 1/2" off the ground. There is no room for flex with tires that wide & flat.

I plan on putting some 16 or 17" tires on the car for the winter, as the 255's would not be good on Wisconsin roads on snow. Has anyone tried this on a Grand Prix GXP?

'64 GTO Tripower Hardtop (Wife's Car)
'64 GTO Tripower Post Coupe (My Car)
'99 Bonneville SE Sedan