Industry Stuff new repro's, updates, other info.

Old 02-03-2017, 11:36 PM
PY VIP

Default The return of the 1964 GTO hood scoops

Its been probably over a dozen years since the 1964 GTO hood scoops have been available. That original mold/tooling was dusted off an a limited run was completed a few weeks ago.

Made from A380 aluminum so they will not pit. The sets are already chrome plated and in route to me now and will be in Max Performance hands in the next 5-7 days from now. Meaning the week of February 13th they will have them. I personally dropped off several sets at Pypes earlier today for Chris to inspect first hand.

They are tapped and will include new studs. They are 100% Made in the USA which is becoming very important in the year 2017. Fit is perfect since they were run on the same mold as the ones from 20 years ago.

They are not painted. Max Performance has alerted all the GTO suppliers that they are coming and I am sure they are following up now that production has been completed so suppliers will be placing their orders.

Quality is excellent as my source owns the chrome shop that plated them.

This is the same source that years ago we offered refurbished 1965 GTO tail lite bezels and refurbished 1969 GTO tail lite bezels. With production being done in the USA only one limited run was done of these. These unpainted 1964 GTO hood scoops must be purchase through a GTO supplier.

denniskirban@yahoo.com

PS: My original test car 1964 GTO I eliminated the hood scoop issue by having a 1965-67 hood scoop molded into a 1964 Lemans hood. I have no idea where that car is today.

Old 02-04-2017, 10:43 AM
Ultimate Warrior

That is pretty cool.

Now get to work on a reproduction hood

Old 02-04-2017, 01:46 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Good news!

Another chance to test our patience painting the satin black between the ribs.

'64 GTO Tripower Hardtop (Wife's Car)
'64 GTO Tripower Post Coupe (My Car)
'99 Bonneville SE Sedan
Old 02-04-2017, 01:57 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Not painted, that part is a major pain in the rear.

Old 02-04-2017, 02:43 PM
Senior Chief

Can you tell us how many sets have or are going to be made? Sounds like quite a few if all or most the suppliers will have them.

Old 02-04-2017, 05:34 PM
Ultimate Warrior

What about estimated pricing?

And I want to second that non-painted PITA sentiment.

469, M21, 3.42

Old 02-04-2017, 07:23 PM
PY VIP

Your need to check with Max Performance as they are handling the sale of them. As to what the price will be from vendors I have no idea.

On the painting that is how the last sets were sold years ago.

denniskirban@yahoo.com

It is a limited run

Old 02-13-2017, 08:20 PM
PY VIP

I just delivered today to Max Performance the limited supply of the reproduction 1964 GTO hood scoops. bug your favorite vendor as they can order them from Max Performance...they look outstanding.....

denniskirban@yahoo.com

Old 04-17-2017, 08:39 PM
Administrator

I suppose most members have figured out the pricing. They are retailing for around $425.00 This seems rather expensive considering they use to be less than $300 But it's important that you all realize that both Dennis and I went out on a limb here. The sales and profit numbers really didn't add up to run them again but because of Dennis's persistence, we finally gave in. This is one of those projects that I talked about never getting done if it were not for the PY Ames merger. There's just no way we would have committed that kind of cash to this project with such poor margins if it weren't for a little extra cash burning a hole in our pocket!

This truly is the last time they will ever be run. So if you are even just considering a pair, you might as well get a pair for a rainy day. So far GTO owners seem to be supporting the new release. We're almost half way through the production run Dennis gave us. Hopefully they can continue to polish and chrome the balance of the production as good as the first batch we got.

As for painting them, our suggestion is using a very light coat of metal etching primer and then paint the entire scoops black. Then carefully use paint thinner to remove the black on the raised ridges and ribs.