Old 06-04-2015, 09:18 PM

Default Steering column upper bearing

Some call it the shifter cup bearing or steering shaft support. Its the upper shaft bearing behind the TS switch.

Part number is 5698362 and a google search turns up that it is unobtainium. I found a lot of used pieces for $75 and some NOS for $120. I can buy a complete column for less than that.

Any ideas on where to get one? Has anyone found a bearing or bushing they could shove down in there?

I also found a replacement bearing to go in that housing for $20, but it doesn't look like they are replaceable. That bearing part number is 7800269

Any solutions you can offer?

Old 06-05-2015, 02:28 AM
Suspended

When I needed a pilot bearing for the trans in my car I ended up at Tractor supply & found one for $ 6.00 when everywhere else wanted $ 25.00. You can try there as the bearing doesn't have to look the same they just have to work the same. Take the bearing with you to Tractor Supply or any of the Farm stores you have near you Like a Quality Farm & fleet or any by any other name & they usually have bearing for the farm stuff , that way all you ned to do is match it up.

Old 06-05-2015, 11:37 AM

It might be possible to find a bearing to fit it, however it is also very specific depth. You compress that piece down and retain it with a clip on the shaft, but your thinking is exactly what I'm talking about. I see no reason to pay $75 for a used piece that may be just as brittle as what I took out.