Non Pontiac Motors in Pontiacs includes factory 403,305,350 Chevy, Buick V6,
Also Pontiac Motors in non-Pontiacs!

Old 02-03-2012, 08:18 PM

justhttp://www.monstertrans.com/store/products/4L80E-Transmission-Heavy-Duty-2WD.html found this site

Old 02-03-2012, 09:21 PM
Senior Chief

I know you want to probably save money and that is why you look into the 200r4. But honestly its a compromise. I looked into doing the same things you did when I was buying parts to do the swap.

There are companies like
http://www.jakesperformance.com/4L80E.html Jake is on this site.

http://performabuilt.com/

http://www.finishlinetrans.com/

All these companies are known for making 4l80e's that are built to last but at a price. Typically $3-$5k... It looks like finishline could get you one for $2500 built without a core that you send them.

You should check with the yard that you got your engine from. I ended up getting my 4l80e out of a 2009 Chevy express van with 2100 miles on it. Basically brand new in my book. Cost was $1000 and it was local so I picked it up. They tried to add a $350 core charge and I told them I didn't have a core so he agreed to sell it without the core or the charge. I decided not to make any modifications to it and run it and have been lucky that it worked. If you look for a junkyard unit just make sure the fluid doesn't smell burnt. For peace of mind you could install a transgo HD2 shift kit if you were worried about it not lasting.

There is also the option of a 4l60e,4l65e, or 4l70e. Those can be had cheaper but again they are a compromise. There is a reason 98-02 camaro/trans am guys and 04-06 gto guys swap these out for the 4l80e because they brake if you push them to hard on the track.

You need to decide what you want to do with the car. Are you going drag racing? Then 4l80e is the only way to go. Also the only way to go for ultimate peace of mind in my opinion.

A 4l60e could be used if you are just making a cruiser car but you need to realize that you L99 engine is already putting out 400+ horsepower stock, do a camshaft change and you are looking at 500-550 hp easily or about 430 rear wheel horsepower.

I hope I'm helping you out here, I know when I went forward with the swap I had an idea of what it would cost to get the car on the road and I was wrong. I blew my budget by about 40% simply because of all the little things that come up.

Old 02-03-2012, 09:29 PM

iam also looking at the easy way to do this swap. i got the car with it complete stripped and the body sandblasted.with no wiring. if i had taken it apart i would be a lot more confident. the body work is no problem but swapping the engine and tranny along with all of the wiring needed has me a little concerned.

Old 02-03-2012, 09:36 PM
Senior Chief

The wiring is not a big deal at all as far as the engine and trans is concerned if your willing to pay someone to build you a harness. I tried to save money by using a company who was cheaper then speartech but in the end they couldn't get me setup with working computers. So I got my harness built from one place and my computers from speartech. If you are willing to pay the $1500 that speartech charges it is really a plug and play operation to wire up the engine and trans. As for wiring the rest of the car I am actually doing that myself right now and am building the harness for myself.

http://speartech.com/

Old 02-04-2012, 09:30 AM

found a place in florida, transdepot that shows a 400r which will handle up to 650hp for $1200 what do you think ? is this a computer tranny/

Old 02-04-2012, 11:19 AM
Senior Chief

yeah th400's can be very strong, only difference is there isn't overdrive. no computers needed for that

Old 02-04-2012, 12:23 PM
Senior Chief

You must have a VSS signal for the PCM to work correctly, if you use a non-computer transmission 350, 400 2004R etc you will need to find a method to generate the VSS signal. Here is a link for solutions to the VSS problem.

http://www.jagsthatrun.com/Pages/Spe...eedometer.html

If you use a computer controlled transmission the PCM/TCM you are able to use will determine which transmissions will work. In my case I had to use a 4L70E because of the need for a input speed sensor that the TCM required. My combination is a 2008 LS3, 4L70E and factory Corvette PCM/TCM reflashed to removed the unnecessary functions.

2014 Infiniti Q50S Hybrid
Marietta GA
Old 02-04-2012, 05:16 PM
Senior Chief

Fbrown thanks for posting that, I completely forgot about the ISS and VSS from the trans. Good looking out!!

That is another reason why I found the 4l80e for mine. You can add the parts to a 60e that are required to get the signal but it costs an additional $500. Or like fbrown said the 70e also has the sensor parts in it already.

Old 02-04-2012, 08:52 PM

found a 200-4r built tranny for $1200 which willhold up to 700hp.. can i get a flexplate to bolt up to the l99 flywheel?

Old 02-04-2012, 09:27 PM

If you're going to spend that kind of money buy a better trans than the 2004R.

If I were going to run an auto I'd go for a 4L80E.

moderator is a glorified word for an unappreciated prick..................

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the
former." --Albert Einstein

"There is no such thing as a good tax."

"We contend that for a nation to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle."

- Winston Churchill
Old 02-05-2012, 07:44 PM

budget is long gone, lucky my son is funding this.. when looking at the oil pan it has a oil cooler which has a coolant line running from the raditor so it looks like i will need a camaro raditor..

Old 02-05-2012, 10:46 PM

http://www.transdepot.net/2004R-Perf...ge-2_p_16.html what do you guys think about this one, can i get a flex plate to use with this one ??

Old 02-07-2012, 11:19 AM

looking to change oil pan to not have to get a raditor that has a line to the oil cooler on the pan. iam thinking a hummer h3 pan but i see they have one machined for bypass and without??? iam not sure if the l99 pan will work on the 1970 lemans a body hardtop.. i hope my questions do not seem to dumb ..

Old 02-07-2012, 11:52 AM
Senior Chief

Oil pans tend to be a problem for GM a-Body cars. The problem areas are the pan hangs down too low, that is below the frame, and the tie rod ends hit the oil pan when turned to either extreme. The hummer pan definitely hangs too low, the exact amount will depend on your motor mounts but could be around 2". For stock GM pans a Cadillac CTS-V oil pan would probably be the best bet. For modified pans, S&P's Camaro pan fits, it doesn't hold much oil. For aftermarket, Autokraft. Autokraft is what I have in my 68 but I ending up spacing the engine up using some steel plate in order to clear the tie rod ends. Since I did my swap Mast and Holley have released swap pans, the Mast pans seems to have good reviews while a number of people are not too happy with the Holley pan.

I suggest to go to LS1Tech and search in the Conversions section for more information about oil pans. There are trade offs in all of the solutions between cost, fitment, how much oil they hold and how well they work for a particular use. The Mast oil pan seems to be good in most of the fitment issues, but it is the most expensive. I will say this, there are no cheap easy solutions that work well.

Marietta GA
Old 02-07-2012, 12:13 PM
Senior Chief

One final point about oil pan fitment. Some engine mounts moves the engine back, some will move it forward, some up and some down, oil pan fitment issues vary depending on which engine mount you use. Some attempt to move the engine back and up for clearance of the factory AC compressor. There are aftermarket kits to relocate the AC compressor if need be.

Marietta GA
Old 02-13-2012, 01:38 PM

just pickup a tr6060 from a 2011 camaro with 4000 miles along with flywheel,clutch, booster,slave cyl. i now need to find a tranny shop that can convert the tailshaft to a t56 so i can use a slip yoke.. i have the camaro 2 pc driveshft but dont know right now if there ia a way to use it with our rear ends..

Old 02-13-2012, 06:53 PM
Senior Chief

Good deal! I would contact The driveshaft shop and see if they have any recommendations. I know they make that same CV style 2 piece for muscle cars with driveline vibration problems due to the working angles.

http://www.driveshaftshop.com/

Old 02-14-2012, 09:31 AM

i contacked driveshaft shop and he wants to know what car iam putting the tr6060 in. someone has to have done this before. i have the camaro 2 pc driveshaft but dont know if it could be modified to work.. i see where some folks change out the tailshaft to a t56 so a slip joint would fit in.. dont know if i could do the work or if there is a tranny shop near here that could do the work.. i see where there is a one piece driveshft for the mustangs that have a internal slip joint with a yoke on the diff end so there should be something for a gm..

Old 02-14-2012, 02:46 PM

i talked to frank at crankshaft shop and they have 2 methods for a driveshaft that will work with a tr6060 and gm rear diff.. one is to use a internal slip joint and the other is to have a cv joint on the shaft. it will be awile before i get to that due to the cold weather but sure is a load off the mind... thanks guys

Old 02-16-2012, 08:51 PM

now the search begins for a posi rear end