THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 12-27-2014, 09:17 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Moving to Italy for 2-3 Years, What Car(s) to Buy???

Fellas -

Just found out that the wife, daughter, and I are headed to Naples, Italy for our next tour (active duty Army). We'll be there for 2-3 years.

What would you buy if you had $30k to spend on a classic Italian sports car? I can swing a Ferrari Mondial, but that's a lot of flash and no dash. I could find a beater Ferrari 308, but at 6'4" and 230 lbs, I don't think I can fit into one. Not a fan of the 308 GT4. A 348 would be at the top of my budget, but could probably find one with some looking around. Could do a 456, too; would fit into this, but top of the budget, and really a different car than the others listed above.

What about a late 60's/early 70's Fiat Dino coupe? Not sure if I could fit into one.

Or maybe an early 70's Alfa GTV 2000? Maybe a bit roomier inside than the Fiat Dino?

Both neat cars with a lot of character. Not likely to find these in the states.

Some of the TVR's look very nice, but I think they are all RHD.

A Lancia Delta Integrale would be neat, but kind of boxy.

Lots of other options, of course, in my price range, but lots of stuff that I can buy in the states -- Audi RS4 and RS6, AMG Mercedes, Aston Martin DB7 with V12, BMW M3/M5/M6, etc.

Cars 25 years old or older would be nice; easy to take back to the U.S.

Almost forgot -- think I'm going to ship my 68 'vert over. It's just finishing up a frame-on resto. Will likely sell it at some point during my tour.

Your thoughts?

Scott

Old 12-27-2014, 11:23 PM
Ultimate Warrior

A Dino would be a good choice. Of course, you could always search the barns around Maranello for a lost Ferrari. If you like ragtops, maybe an Aston Martin Volante or a Jensen Interceptor. Be sure to spend some time in the Loretto area. Absolutely stunning vistas.

Dr. Thomas Sowell
Old 12-27-2014, 11:59 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by hurryinhoosier62 View Post
A Dino would be a good choice. Of course, you could always search the barns around Maranello for a lost Ferrari. If you like ragtops, maybe an Aston Martin Volante or a Jensen Interceptor. Be sure to spend some time in the Loretto area. Absolutely stunning vistas.
Yeah, poking around for barn finds would be fun.

Aston Martin Volante is out of my price range, but I could do a DB7 with the V12 for around $30k.

Jensen Interceptors are nice, but again, out of my price range.

Thanks

Scott

Old 12-28-2014, 12:01 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I thought nice dinos had vaulted up near the 6 figure range in recent years. Maybe that's just US prices though. I don't know what the drop off would be in their native habitat.

https://www.youtube.com/@CatfishMotorsports
Old 12-28-2014, 12:07 AM
Ultimate Warrior

how about a "GRAN TOURISMO OMOLAGTO" [spelling?]

and ifa you needa somea onea to carry your baggage......let me knowa......I gotta passaporta.

Old 12-28-2014, 12:09 AM
Ultimate Warrior

What is the exchange rate right now? How far will your 30k go?

69 OHC ZH Sprint Hurst 3 Speed 3:55 (1 of 213)
99 Valkyrie 1520cc Flat 6 108hp/110tq - For Sale
http://sohcsix.yuku.com/forums/1/OHC-lounge
Wanted: 1969 OHC "H" Camshaft
Old 12-28-2014, 12:22 AM
Ultimate Warrior

This one's just a shade under $150K.....as is. The '60s and '70s Ferraris have gone crazy.
http://www.hemmings.com/classifieds/...tml?refer=blog

Old 12-28-2014, 12:25 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocktimusPryme View Post
I thought nice dinos had vaulted up near the 6 figure range in recent years. Maybe that's just US prices though. I don't know what the drop off would be in their native habitat.
Nice Dino Spiders are 6 figure cars.

The comparable Dino Coupe can be had for $25k.

Sort of an apples to oranges comparison because they are really not the same car -- different designers.

FYI - the Dino 2.4 coupes were made on the same assembly line as the Dino (Ferrari) 246's, using many of the same components.

Scott

Old 12-28-2014, 12:26 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by PMD1969 View Post
What is the exchange rate right now? How far will your 30k go?
I think $1.25 will get you 1 euro.

Economy in Italy is in pretty bad shape, so prices on classic cars aren't that bad.

Scott

Old 12-28-2014, 12:27 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Reid View Post
This one's just a shade under $150K.....as is. The '60s and '70s Ferraris have gone crazy.
Yeah, not a huge fan of the Ferraris that I can afford. I can get a much more capable car for less $$$.

Thanks

Scott

Old 12-28-2014, 12:43 AM
Senior Chief

I don't know what the car scene is over there.

What are renault 5 turbo, Clio, or 6r4 maxis going for? Maybe a compact rally car is where it's at. The streets are small and cramped aren't they?

Old 12-28-2014, 01:15 AM
Suspended

Suggestions

- how about investing in the digital version of Hemming's Sports & Exotics?
By doing so, you can download all of their available back issues and broaden your horizons based on feature cars, Q & A Problems & Repairs, etc.

- Also, perhaps you could link w local US military car clubs to find out what to steer clear of there...

- English version of Naples & Italian digital local car magazines, blogs, forums, etc.

Enjoy & Keep Us Posted

Old 12-28-2014, 02:04 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Why Hemmings when there's plenty of home-grown magazines plus others from Europe that can be found in any Italian kiosk?

An interesting car is a Alpine-Renault, although if you're a masochist, find a Matra Djet. But if you want an Italian car, why not start small and simple like an Autobianchi?

Old 12-28-2014, 02:31 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by NBF823 View Post
I don't know what the car scene is over there.

What are renault 5 turbo, Clio, or 6r4 maxis going for? Maybe a compact rally car is where it's at. The streets are small and cramped aren't they?
Renault 5 turbo looks like a neat car, but at 6'4" and 230 lbs, I'd have to chop off my arms at the elbows and my legs at the knees to fit into a compact car...

Thanks,

Scott

Old 12-28-2014, 02:33 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alvin View Post
Suggestions

- how about investing in the digital version of Hemming's Sports & Exotics?
By doing so, you can download all of their available back issues and broaden your horizons based on feature cars, Q & A Problems & Repairs, etc.

- Also, perhaps you could link w local US military car clubs to find out what to steer clear of there...

- English version of Naples & Italian digital local car magazines, blogs, forums, etc.

Enjoy & Keep Us Posted
Thanks, Alvin. I'll check the older issues.

Haven't seen any military car clubs at any installation where I've been stationed.

Will see about finding local digital car magazines and forums, but not hopeful that I'll find these in English. My Italian is pretty basic at this point.

Scott

Old 12-28-2014, 02:39 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diego View Post
Why Hemmings when there's plenty of home-grown magazines plus others from Europe that can be found in any Italian kiosk?

An interesting car is a Alpine-Renault, although if you're a masochist, find a Matra Djet. But if you want an Italian car, why not start small and simple like an Autobianchi?
I really like the Alpine A110, but not the later cars. Of course, the A110 is well out of my price range.

Matra Djets are probably a bit small for me. Finding parts would appeal to the masochist in me, of course.

Autobianchi would be a clown car for me, I think.

I should have probably been more clear about what I'm looking for. Don't need much help finding a $1,000 beater to drive back and rorth to work. I'm looking for a toy to drive on the weekends - something with character, guts, and likely something that's difficult to find in the U.S.

Thanks

Scott

Old 12-28-2014, 06:55 AM
Senior Chief

There are lots of TVRs that are LH drive. Maybe you should have a look of whats available on the greek side? When their economy was at worst they sold their nice cars cheap, not sure of the situation now but it might be worth checking out.

Old 12-28-2014, 08:11 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.J. View Post
There are lots of TVRs that are LH drive. Maybe you should have a look of whats available on the greek side? When their economy was at worst they sold their nice cars cheap, not sure of the situation now but it might be worth checking out.
Did some more looking at the TVR's - looks like about 3/4 of the ones that I'm seeing are RHD, so there are some LHD's out there.

Thanks

Scott

Old 12-28-2014, 09:18 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

One of the board members used to live in the north. (Crustysarge) He was also active duty army. Things have changed a little since I lived in Naples, but I found a Maserati Indy for about 30K when I was snooping around. I saw plenty of cars get stolen and nobody had classics. Gas was rationed and the roads are tiny. I had a V-6 Sunbird and it was huge compared to the local vehicles. There is a good opportunity for motorcycling if you like to do that. You will love Napoli I'm sure. The Bases are top notch and most are fairly new.

Old 12-28-2014, 09:21 AM

Italy is a beautiful place, you will enjoy your stay. I think high end super cars like Astons and Ferraris may look great but will be expensive to run and get parts for. I would avoid Tvrs personally, they are a small British manufacturer with reliability issues....or so I have heard. For me it would have to be one of the Bertone Alfas. The 1750 GTV has a nicer front and interior than the 2000 and that fabulous twin cam up front. The right size for those narrow streets and you should fit in ok. $30,000 will get you about €24,500 which will get you a nice car with change too. And you cant get more Italian than an Alfa!