THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 03-02-2021, 01:44 AM
Ultimate Warrior

We just ordered 50 new Minnesota 1047 Frontenac grape vines for the vineyard. Plot was prepared last fall, just have to put in more posts and wire.

The Following User Says Thank You to dataway For This Useful Post:
Old 03-02-2021, 08:51 AM
Ultimate Warrior

You a wine-maker dataway?

Old 03-02-2021, 09:51 AM
Ultimate Warrior

We moved to Florida last year so now we have tropical fruits. 2 types of bananas, 5 different mangos, and pineapples. We would need a raised bed for vegetables. Soil is very sandy. Onions may to fine.

Old 03-27-2021, 12:51 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Most common plants are now available locally, and lots of interest. Don't know how many first time gardeners of last year gave up, but I waited too late to get all of the varieties I wanted.

I now have ALL of my plants, and ALL of my seed for 2021.

Miracle - Gro for blueberries simply not available locally (so turned to ebay).

Blueberries require a fertilizer balanced for a different pH than most other fruits/vegatables. Use the fertilizer for Azaleas for blueberries.

So far this year, prices are back to normal.

Threw away the electronic gizmo that was supposed to scare away the deer and rabbits. Absolute waste of money (like many other things electronic), but I had to learn the hard way. Suggestion: don't waste your money on one of these.

The internet says a biodegradable pest spray may be made from vegetable oil and soap. Going to try it this year. At least the soap is cheaper than the electronic dodad, and can be used for cleaning carburetors if it does not discourage the pests.

Now just need the weather to cooperate, and move all the carburetors from in front of the tiller Have been downsizing in the shop, and selling (almost giving away) LARGE wholesale lots (50 or more). Had to lay them out where folks can pick them up.

Jon.

"The most expensive carburetor is the wrong one given to you by your neighbor".

If you truly believe that "one size fits all" try walking a mile in your spouse's shoes!

Owner of The Carburetor Shop, LLC (of Missouri).

Current caretaker of the remains of Stromberg Caburetor, and custodian of the existing Carter and Kingston carburetor drawings.

Last edited by carbking; 03-27-2021 at 01:02 PM.
Old 05-25-2021, 08:52 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Looney Tunes and Disney have no clue when it comes to rabbits!

Bugs Bunny may love carrots, but central Missouri rabbits wouldn't touch one if they were starving.

But two adult rabbits can eat the tops of 50 feet of beets in one night!!!!! But they best not overstay their meal. Hasenpfeffer anyone?

Guess it would be difficult for Bugs Bunny to hold a beet top!

Finally finished weeding the garden this morning. It rains every day that ends in the letter "Y". Weeds really got ahead of me this year. Thought for awhile we might convert to a rice paddy.

15 day forecast has rain in 10 of the 15. Blueberries should be great this year, with all the rain. Last year, the birds got the blueberries, and number 1 wife was not happy. This spring, built an enclosure around and over the blueberry patch. Birds may have sunflower seeds, but not the wife's blueberries!

Jon.

If you truly believe that "one size fits all" try walking a mile in your spouse's shoes!

Current caretaker of the remains of Stromberg Caburetor, and custodian of the existing Carter and Kingston carburetor drawings.
The Following User Says Thank You to carbking For This Useful Post:
Old 05-25-2021, 11:28 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Happy wife, happy life.

Old 05-25-2021, 03:10 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Reid View Post
You a wine-maker dataway?
Yes, right now we make a batch of Italian Red every year using a kit, we hope to someday use our own grapes. Here's a photo of the planting we did this spring ... we'll probably be out of here (NY) and down south (TN) before there is any yield ... but the next owners will hopefully benefit. In TN we hope to pickup some substantial acreage and plant a real vineyard.

I got hooked on the stuff in Italy, we spend about three weeks a year there, will be upped to about two months a year in Europe after the wife retires and we move.

The Following User Says Thank You to dataway For This Useful Post:
Old 05-25-2021, 04:35 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I decided to try a little bigger garden this year. I have about 10 tomato plants and I learned something about tomatoes that I didn't know. There are two types, determinate or bush tomatoes and indeterminate or vining tomatoes. I built a tall trellis and ran strings to the base of each indeterminate tomato plant and as they grow I attach plastic clips to the string that secures the main stalk. I planted marigolds and basil around and among them to keep the pests away and so far they have done their job. In another spot I planted 3 rows of corn and 9 hills of squash, 3 zucchini and 6 yellow crook neck. I planted marigolds and catnip around this plot and so far no pests. In one other spot I planted 5 sweet potato plants just to see if they will produce here in south Georgia.
So far everything is doing good and I have quite a few small tomatoes and yellow squash. I hope the zucchini puts out so my wife can make me some zucchini bread. It's even better than pecan bread!

Old 05-25-2021, 04:51 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Maybe 50 years ago, we had some left-over concrete reinforcement wire in a roll. I don't remember the width (and "Tuesday" ends in "Y", so it is currently raining ), believe maybe 5 foot. We cut this wire into 60 inch long sections, and from these sections, made cylinders of 18 inch diameter. Then cut the bottom ring off completely, so the lower tines can be forced into the ground.

We then set out plants on 18 inch centers, and place a wire cylinder over each plant, keeping the plants inside the cylinders. Now set a steel post every 12 feet, wire the posts to the cylinder closest to it, and wire the cylinders to each other (we do have wind storms in Missouri).

Have used these for tomatoes, peppers, eggplant, and cucumbers successfully. Keeps the produce off the ground so it does not rot; and I don't have to bend so far to pick it.

Some of them are getting fairly ragged, but still good enough for me.

Unfortunately, the marigolds would keep me out of the garden as well!

Jon.

Last edited by carbking; 05-25-2021 at 05:01 PM.
Old 05-25-2021, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dataway View Post
Yes, right now we make a batch of Italian Red every year using a kit, we hope to someday use our own grapes. Here's a photo of the planting we did this spring ... we'll probably be out of here (NY) and down south (TN) before there is any yield ... but the next owners will hopefully benefit. In TN we hope to pickup some substantial acreage and plant a real vineyard.

I got hooked on the stuff in Italy, we spend about three weeks a year there, will be upped to about two months a year in Europe after the wife retires and we move.

Gonna be about 5 years before the fruit is mature enough to use.

Old 05-26-2021, 12:36 AM
Ultimate Warrior

We are hearing a first harvest in 3 years if we don't allow any fruit development and prune properly the first two.
Our experimental planting a few years ago produced grapes the second year, but few and very sporadically, we kind of let them go crazy to see how they would take to our soil. Evidently wine grape hybrids are bred to produce quite quickly being a commercial product and vineyards wanting yield as fast as possible. Specially the cold weather hybrids that have less of a growing season. But yep, I wouldn't expect a really usable crop until year four.

Old 05-26-2021, 08:05 AM
Senior Chief

We found out, by accident, the best way to keep animals out of the garden.

When my son (future Boss Bird employee) was about 5 years old, he was near our garden when my wife and I were working in it. He has to take a leak, so he whips it out on the spot and pees next to the garden. My wife gave me The Look as if it was my fault. Near hysterical laughter ensued,

Fast forward a good bit, plants are coming up. I look out the window, and a deer is headed for the smorgasboard. IT STOPS! Smells where my son pissed, and walked away!

While you city dwellers might not have the ... ahem... "freedom" .... I found that pissing in the yard near the garden kept the animals out. Your results may vary!

64 F-85
72 4-4-2 Mondello's VO Twister II
84 Hurst/Olds #2449
87 Cutlass Salon
54 Olds 88 sedan
Old 05-26-2021, 08:33 AM
Ultimate Warrior

That's a beautiful piece of property dataway.

I've been hearing that for years regarding pee as a deer repellent, along with human or dog hair clippings, Irish Spring soap, Cayenne pepper and so on. None of it has worked for very long around my gardens. What has worked is a motion detector sprinkler and believe it or not the old tin pie pan on a string works somewhat if there's a breeze and tied to something it can bang against.
As for rain, it's been dry as a powerhouse here for weeks and no relief in sight. Already in the nineties to boot.

Sent from my moto g stylus (2021) using Tapatalk

Last edited by Greg Reid; 05-26-2021 at 08:38 AM.
Old 05-26-2021, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dataway View Post
We are hearing a first harvest in 3 years if we don't allow any fruit development and prune properly the first two.
Our experimental planting a few years ago produced grapes the second year, but few and very sporadically, we kind of let them go crazy to see how they would take to our soil. Evidently wine grape hybrids are bred to produce quite quickly being a commercial product and vineyards wanting yield as fast as possible. Specially the cold weather hybrids that have less of a growing season. But yep, I wouldn't expect a really usable crop until year four.

Just relaying the information I know from working at a winery out here in Napa Valley. All varieties can very though. Fruit will be very tight if picked before maturity. Carry on.

1987 Pontiac Grand Prix - Sage/Sage/Sage - GM 305/Th200-4r

2004 Pontiac GTO - IBM over Black - LSx 440/6-speed/4.10 SRA - Single Digit Stick Shift
Old 05-26-2021, 02:03 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Bear in mind my threshold for "drinkable" wine is probably far below the typical buyer of Napa Valley wine Think more along the lines of prison strawberry wine.

Old 05-26-2021, 04:46 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Anonymous View Post
We found out, by accident, the best way to keep animals out of the garden.

When my son (future Boss Bird employee) was about 5 years old, he was near our garden when my wife and I were working in it. He has to take a leak, so he whips it out on the spot and pees next to the garden. My wife gave me The Look as if it was my fault. Near hysterical laughter ensued,

Fast forward a good bit, plants are coming up. I look out the window, and a deer is headed for the smorgasboard. IT STOPS! Smells where my son pissed, and walked away!

While you city dwellers might not have the ... ahem... "freedom" .... I found that pissing in the yard near the garden kept the animals out. Your results may vary!
It keeps my wife away!

Old 05-26-2021, 06:22 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I’ve used bobcat urine to keep rabbits out of our garden. Bought it online from a trapping supply place. The application doesn’t seem to bother the neighbors as much as the application of my own personal urine.

Murf

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Old 05-27-2021, 08:56 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

My wife and I are very into gardening. We are currently in Missouri buying some land for a future homestead site. One thing I discovered this year gardening in Ca is the truth about potting soil. Commercially available potting soil is mostly ground up trees. Basically because they can sell lightweight easily carried otherwise trash ground up trees to unsuspecting people. True quality dirt is sandy loam. Sandy loam won’t break down in a few seasons and you can’t over water when using it because it drains so well. I found my raised beds produce twice as much using it and it’s good for years. If you get a chance check out laguna hills nursery YouTube videos on the truth about dirt. Very interesting. So much of the world is about profit not necessarily the truth.

Old 05-27-2021, 10:36 PM
Ultimate Warrior

You should try Northern NY up on the Canadian border. I spent most of my life up there. Winters were far worse than Saratoga. Saw many days of 0 to minus 40F and beaucoup snow. I don't miss it or NY.

Gary
Get in, ShuT Up, Hang On!
Member of the Baltimore Built Brotherhood
MY GTO built 4th Week of March 1966
"Crusin' Is Not A Crime"
Keep yer stick on the ice.
Old 06-22-2021, 12:32 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Gardening economy tip:

If you need to dust the plants to discourage the bugs (and we do); do NOT buy the prepackaged canisters of insect dust (expensive).

Instead, a trip to the grocery, and purchase a couple of canisters of Pringles (yes, you need two canisters). After disposing of the contents, take one of the canisters, and with a small punch (or nail) punch several small holes in the bottom. Now cover the bottom with one of the lids.

Now purchase insect dust in bulk (MUCH less expensive) and fill the canister. Place the other lid on the filled canister, remove the lid from the end with holes, and you have a "duster"

Jon.