WELCOME!

Go Back   PY Online Forums - Bringing the Pontiac Hobby Together > PY Welcomes 2004-06 GTO Owners > 04-06 Interior Tech

04-06 Interior Tech Everything that goes on inside the GTO. Dash related, Upholstery related, Console related, etc.

Old 05-10-2006, 04:36 PM

Default Oil Life Service Icon & Message

After changing oil on my 2005 GTO, I cannot get my Oil Life Service Icon & message deleted. I have changed oil two other times and the procedure worked fine. Turn on Ign. Key. Pump throttle pedal to floor slowly twice within 5 sec. Then turn ign. to lock. Then start and the service oil message and icon should dissapear. I tried it 20 times and it does not. If I click on mode-the service oil message and icon go away and the new mode selected shows as it normally should. UNTILL!! You shut off engine and turn key back on and then the "Oil time life message and icon" come back on again untill you change the mode.

Has anyone out there experianced this? The Pont. dealers service dept. around here are not much help over the phone. One did not even know the proceedure.

Even though my Goat is under warrentee, I hoped to avoid taking my GTO to a Pont. dealership. Thanks, Animal Jim See: www.animaljimracing.com
Old 05-10-2006, 05:35 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I recall it being very tempermental. How many times have you tried it. If it still doesn't work, do a search over at ls1gto.com and see if there is any other thoughts.
Old 05-10-2006, 05:39 PM

Thanks, I did try over 20 times. It looks like a trip to the dealership.
Old 05-10-2006, 05:48 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Read the owners manual....there might be another option to do that.
Old 05-10-2006, 09:24 PM
Ultimate Warrior

You have to pump it 3 times. For some reason there's a misprint in the manual.

http://kb.ls1gto.com/KB/article.aspx?id=10116
'95 Comp T/A #6 M6 - bone stock (pics)
Old 05-11-2006, 02:41 AM
Senior Chief

I've changed my own oil 4 times in almost 11K miles, and I've always reset it as per the manual...pump 2 times. I've never had the oil life indicator come on. But I have read that the reset is finicky...if two doesn't do it, try three.
Old 05-11-2006, 11:12 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

According to my dealer, it's 3 times to the floor, not 2. The manual is a misprint.
Old 05-11-2006, 02:34 PM

I tried 2 to 10 times to the floor. I took it to my dealer and they had to reset the oil service alert with their electronic tweeker. It was a malfunction. I also had the service manager drive it to listen to ring and pinion sing. Especially at 40 and 80. lash is way too great. Car has 8200 miles but rear end has been noisy for 3 thousand miles. They ordered a new assembly for me. I set up rear ends and build hot rod/race engines for a living but I will let them do it since it is still under warrenty.See my web: www.animaljimracing.com
Old 05-11-2006, 02:59 PM

Exclamation Rear Gear Whine

Has anyone out there had rear end whine in the 2004,06,06 Goats?

I had a 2004 but only put 1700 miles on it and traded for a new 05 last year. At about 4500 miles the rear end started whining like a rear set up with .020 lash instead of .008/.010. Car now has 8200. Pontiac has ordered me a new assembly.

Has anyone else had that prob. I run the car -but not enough to cause that.

I work at Rt. 66 Dragstrip in Joliet, IL. and we get lot of late model GTOs for Test and Tune nights-and those guys run the hell out of them and none report gear whine. One guy who has run his 2004 at the strip for two years at almost every Test & Tune also road races the same GTO. He just did 3 1/2 hrs. at 20 minute intervals at Road America
last week. And no problems.

We did have a GTO guy that broke his rear last year do to trying to leave too hard and had severe wheel hop and did not lift and ka-bong!!

As we all know-that independent suspension is not great for drags. BMR Fabrication (at my suggestion a year ago) now sells an air bag to put in rear spring that helps reduce wheel hop. Also my friends at SLP have a rear stabilizer and special bushings they claim help reduce the wheel hop.

I already have drag race cars so I use my 05 GT0 6 speed for a road car. I love it. Great car. Anyone who critisises the late GTO never drove one. I mean REALLY DROVE!! Perhaps you have seen my comments about the GTO critics in past Hemming's Muscle Machines "Backfire" column. Animal Jim Feurer See: www.animaljimracing.com

Last edited by Animal Jim; 05-11-2006 at 03:05 PM.
Old 05-11-2006, 03:37 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

The 50 and 80MPH rear end whine is a common problem, as is strut rub, crazy cluster, bad paint, wind noise, rattles, and a host of other issues (should I say that, or is this being critical?).

Suggest LS1GTO.com as a fine source for info.

Driving one, even "really" driving one, does not completely silence all critics.
Old 05-11-2006, 06:21 PM

Thanks for info 455. I have not experianced the wind noise, rattles,cluster prob.,bad paint, etc.on my 2005 or the 2004 I had before. But the 2004 did not come in till late fall of 2004 and
I stored it for winter and traded for the new 2005 that Feb. so I only had 1700 miles on it. This 2005 car I now have 8265 miles on. It is a joy for me to drive. I live 100 miles from Rt. 66 Dragway. Beside running my engine/speed shop and monitoring my guys at my body shop,I work at Rt.66 Dragway as a tech official and make the trip about 3 times a week. I truly look forward to the drive. About 80 miles of the trip are 2 lane back roads. Lot of fun-but have to watch for deer at night.

Other than the rear end problem and the recent glitch with my oil time life message alert, the only things I can pick on is the stupid
1st. to 4th. enconomy feature-the dome light not being functional from the dash and the need to take the key out all the time. I will admit the shifter is not the greatest.

I do plan to trade for a 425HP Challenger when they come out. I already have a tenetive order. It so happens my Pont. dealer is also a Mopar dealer. Fancy that! Animal Jim
Old 05-11-2006, 06:35 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I had to change my oil at 5600 eventhough the oil light had never come on, just couldn'tfeel good about it. Wonder about all those 3000 mile changes or no warranty coverage for previous vehicles if the new ones go 6000!
Old 05-16-2006, 02:31 PM
Ultimate Warrior

My GMC Yukon requires 4 shots on the accel pedal within a certain time. I would think GM would use similar software in all of their computers.

george
Old 09-08-2006, 08:51 PM

It took me several tries to reset the change oil light on my '05. I had changes the oil @3k but didn't reset the light. I think the message that comes up could be a lot clearer.

I love my '05 GTO