THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 11-29-2019, 10:28 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I usually don’t go to shows, my cars look like junk. I did go once to hang out with some relatives that were going to a local show and my ‘62 Mercury took 2nd place in the survivor class. My kids carried that trophy around like they just won the lottery!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	C077DF16-D8B3-439E-8110-8563EF90BE6E.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	74.5 KB
ID:	525683  

71' GTO -original 400/4-speed/3.23 posi
13.95 @ 102.1 on street tires @ 4055lbs.

‘63 LeMans- ‘69 400 w/ original transaxle. 2.69 gears.
Old 11-30-2019, 03:24 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Nothing says "Look at me, I'm a douche bag" louder than someone displaying trophies with their car they've won at previous shows. That would be like the Dad from Christmas Story carrying that leg lamp with him everywhere he went..."Why.....it's a major award !!!"

Old 11-30-2019, 12:34 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Or stuffed animals, tiger crap,crying kids, pic albums of the resto, signed parts, mirrors on the ground, coolers or luggage or Drive up restaurant trays with fake food on, speakers from drive ins.

Just Say No To 8” Flakes

F ire B irds

🇮🇱

Last edited by burd; 11-30-2019 at 12:40 PM.
Old 11-30-2019, 02:38 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Say no to plastic French Fries!

Old 11-30-2019, 08:01 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Baker View Post
Nothing says "Look at me, I'm a douche bag" louder than someone displaying trophies with their car they've won at previous shows. That would be like the Dad from Christmas Story carrying that leg lamp with him everywhere he went..."Why.....it's a major award !!!"
Quote:
Originally Posted by burd View Post
Or stuffed animals, tiger crap,crying kids, pic albums of the resto, signed parts, mirrors on the ground, coolers or luggage or Drive up restaurant trays with fake food on, speakers from drive ins.
Car shows baffle me. That's 8hrs? I could be driving my car. Not sitting in an asphalt parking lot with loud crappy old music blasting from some DJ's speaker dictating what they think is good music. Then add the attitudes of the check writers and the lawn chair quarterbacks about what is Correct and what is not. Cars are like your babys,only you love it that much,the rest don't care. The stuffed animals, trophys from the past and fake food is funny as hell to me. Not my cup of tea but I won't knock others from doing it.
I do go to 3 a year.5 if ya count woodward and back to the bricks in flint. And the1st 3 are Pontiac shows.
but im usually gone after an hour or so..headed to a track to have some fun with my car..as it was built for.

Old 11-30-2019, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by indymanjoe View Post
Car shows baffle me. That's 8hrs? I could be driving my car. Not sitting in an asphalt parking lot with loud crappy old music blasting from some DJ's speaker dictating what they think is good music. Then add the attitudes of the check writers and the lawn chair quarterbacks about what is Correct and what is not. Cars are like your babys,only you love it that much,the rest don't care. The stuffed animals, trophys from the past and fake food is funny as hell to me. Not my cup of tea but I won't knock others from doing it.
I do go to 3 a year.5 if ya count woodward and back to the bricks in flint. And the1st 3 are Pontiac shows.
but im usually gone after an hour or so..headed to a track to have some fun with my car..as it was built for.

Ummmm Joe you pretty much did just knock others like myself who do the car show thing, and FYI it’s never an 8 hour thing usually 3 maybe 4 at the most.

~MaryAnn~ AKA "Stickybuns"
1969 Firebird 400 Convertible
1978 Bandit T/A Tribute
1977 RED TA

I'm the FiredUp PY bad girl
Old 11-30-2019, 09:35 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firedup6975 View Post
Ummmm Joe you pretty much did just knock others like myself who do the car show thing, and FYI it’s never an 8 hour thing usually 3 maybe 4 at the most.
Exactly!

I have never understood the mentality of bashing someone else version of enjoyment within our hobby. I know a lot of it is jealousy, because many of the people who criticize have never had anything really nice. Which is ok because our hobby has room for all from the #1 show car down to the primered heap that is a work in progress.

God Bless
Bill
https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/...closed.614419/

Bills' Auto Works Est 1983 & still going strong!

1955 Chevy Altered W.B. Gasser
1955 Nash Ambassador Custom Lemans
1957 Chieftan 2dr HT
1964 Grand Prix
1966 Catalina Conv. 421
1966 Ambassador DPL 2dr HT
1966 Ambassador Cust. 2 DR HT
1967 Marlin
1967 Toronado
1973 Nova Full Chassis Car
1992 Jag XJS Conv
1992 Jag XJS Coupe
2007 Cad XLR-V Supercharged Roadster
Old 11-30-2019, 11:25 PM

I'm not much on the setting past trophy's out on display either. All the shows in our area raise money for a certain causes, so I go to contribute my entry fee to the cause and hang out with car folks. If I come home with a trophy or plaque it goes on top of the filing cabinet in the basement to collect dust with the few others already sitting there.

Old 12-01-2019, 03:33 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I got bored with car shows in the 90's. That's why I went drag racing. Been away from that for a while and have done more shows recently. I'm only there usually for 4 hours tops. It's nice relaxing sometimes while people come up and ask all sorts of questions about your car. In my case with the Can Am, I probably get more than most. Believe it not, I still get people saying things like "I've never seen one of these in person" or "I never knew these existed until now".

Old 12-01-2019, 07:49 AM
Senior Chief

I pretty much go to car shows only as a spectator, not a participant. The only exception is the Adirondack Nationals, which is a 4 day event.
Unlike many on this thread, nothing anyone does with their car bothers me.

Old 12-01-2019, 10:13 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Car shows baffle me. That's 8hrs? I could be driving my car. Not sitting in an asphalt parking lot with loud crappy old music blasting from some DJ's speaker dictating what they think is good music.
Who goes to car shows in an asphalt parking lot and sits for 8 hours?

Most shows I go to are not in a parking lot (asphalt, concrete or gravel). Many are on grass in parks with trees for shade available.

I enjoy walking around and seeing the other cars, talking cars with other owners instead of sitting for the 3 - 5 hours of most shows. Many even have a swap meet or craft show to walk through also. Found lots of good parts for my toy cars at car shows.

As to the music - some people enjoy the music and most shows limit the volume to "background music" around here.

Now there are a few exceptions - such as a national meet or a very large multiple day show (as far as my 3 - 5 hour comment). My all time favorite show is the Iola Old Car Show.

That show starts on Thursday (I normally get my GTO on the show field on Wednesday afternoon) and runs through Saturday. They have a pre war, post war, modified, Blue Ribbon (by invitation) and car corral area (no for sale in the show car area). There are thousands of cars, 4200 vendor spaces and the village of Iola has a craft sale at one of the schools and a city wide garage sale going on.

No awards at the show at all. My GTO and Caddy limo are Blue Ribbon cars and my wife's Camaro is in the modified section. Three full days of fun!

Old 12-01-2019, 11:01 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I do more weekend "Cruise in's" than shows. Enjoy the camaraderie of fellow car enthusiasts plus I can look at the cars without having to worry about tripping over the paraphernalia from previous shows stacked up around the cars. Plus the cruise ins are where I see the cars that are driven , Not the trailer queen in it for a trophy.

Old 12-01-2019, 11:49 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firedup6975 View Post
But wasn’t this thread started because you didn’t like people displaying their trophies? So Joe doesn’t like car shows altogether so he’s judgemental, but you don’t like trophies displayed because that’s “tacky”, but you’re not judgmental? Just sayin
Live and let live.

71' GTO -original 400/4-speed/3.23 posi
13.95 @ 102.1 on street tires @ 4055lbs.

‘63 LeMans- ‘69 400 w/ original transaxle. 2.69 gears.
Old 12-01-2019, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67drake View Post
But wasn’t this thread started because you didn’t like people displaying their trophies? So Joe doesn’t like car shows altogether so he’s judgemental, but you don’t like trophies displayed because that’s “tacky”, but you’re not judgmental? Just sayin
Live and let live.

Geeeeeeeeeze drake ya need to calm down......LMAO! Joe and I are friends I’m busting his chops with the utt most of respect and love.

1978 Bandit T/A Tribute
1977 RED TA

Old 12-01-2019, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bills Auto Works View Post
Exactly!

I have never understood the mentality of bashing someone else version of enjoyment within our hobby. I know a lot of it is jealousy, because many of the people who criticize have never had anything really nice. Which is ok because our hobby has room for all from the #1 show car down to the primered heap that is a work in progress.

God Bless
Bill
https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/...closed.614419/

Joe and I are long time buddies he knows I’m messing with him.

1978 Bandit T/A Tribute
1977 RED TA

Old 12-01-2019, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burd View Post

Ummmmm like some I display? LMAO! Nothing wrong with a little info for those viewing the car not knowing much about them.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	A77FD564-695D-46E1-853E-D734FA04D559.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	82.4 KB
ID:	525817  

1978 Bandit T/A Tribute
1977 RED TA

Old 12-01-2019, 01:23 PM
Ultimate Warrior

LOL I guess I did MA. wasn't meant to be a put down.

sorry to offend anyone else.

Old 12-01-2019, 01:38 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Leave ‘me at home. I’m proud of the few I have but don’t even have the two cars I won them with from the Nats.

Old 12-01-2019, 02:15 PM

Quote:

Nope didn’t take it that way at all you know the drill Joe, we’ve been getting each other’s ....no pun intended.....GOAT for years. funny how things are perceived in text if others don’t really know the back story lol no harm done or meant.

1978 Bandit T/A Tribute
1977 RED TA

Old 12-01-2019, 02:18 PM

Quote:

You can offend me anytime Joe. I can take it and often do from a few here. I just shake it off.

1978 Bandit T/A Tribute
1977 RED TA