Old 02-18-2020, 06:07 PM
Senior Chief

Default Distributor for MSD6AL trigger

Hi all,

I'm looking to ditch my Mallory Unilite in favor of something with a vacuum advance for a car that will see mostly street use. I don't need one of those all-in-one distributors as I already have an MSD6AL and coil. I was considering the Edelbrock MaxFire Distributor Pontiac V8 326-455 EDL-22754.

Anyone tried this out? Thoughts/comments?

Northwind with XFlow TBI
4L80E
3.50:1 Rear
Old 02-18-2020, 08:09 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Used-but-usable Genuine GM HEI with the module bypassed. Nice wide terminal spacing. No worries about finding replacement caps 'n' rotors, or any other parts. Be sure to inspect the advance mechanisms for wear.

The Following User Says Thank You to Schurkey For This Useful Post:
Old 02-19-2020, 12:48 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I’ve used a HEI, no problems. ...Change out carbon button in cap to low?(IIRC) resistance unit.
You can easily put the module back in should you cook the MSD box., even roadside.
MSD makes a simple plug and play harness. Or make your own.
Keep stock module to coil wire harness with the module for roadside retrofit if needed.

You can also easily trigger it with an OEM point dizzy and use your MSD coil. Use capable resistor plug wires.

Never used an aftermarket dizzy one my Pontiacs.£§"»

Last edited by STEELCITYFIREBIRD; 02-19-2020 at 01:08 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to STEELCITYFIREBIRD For This Useful Post:
Old 02-19-2020, 11:09 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I use the factory points distributor to fire the MSD box in one of the cars here. Extremely simple and will never leave you stranded. If the box ever fails I simply swap 2 wires on the coil in a matter of seconds and drive away.

The other 2 cars, including a Pontiac, use an MSD distributor with vacuum advance to fire an MSD box. Both of these setups have been in service for more than 20 years now and have been flawless.

Just depends on what you have available to you, what you're willing to setup and deal with, and what you're willing to spend.

Old 02-20-2020, 07:39 AM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formulajones View Post
I use the factory points distributor to fire the MSD box in one of the cars here. Extremely simple and will never leave you stranded. If the box ever fails I simply swap 2 wires on the coil in a matter of seconds and drive away.

The other 2 cars, including a Pontiac, use an MSD distributor with vacuum advance to fire an MSD box. Both of these setups have been in service for more than 20 years now and have been flawless.

Just depends on what you have available to you, what you're willing to setup and deal with, and what you're willing to spend.
Thanks very much. I no longer have the factory points unit. Do you mind me asking which MSD distributor you're running?

Northwind with XFlow TBI
4L80E
Old 02-20-2020, 11:19 PM
Boost Engineer

I have used a PONTIAC factory 1965 Transistor Ignition distributor to trigger my MSD Box.
Works perfectly with the advance curve and the vacuum distributor can.

Tom V.

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
Old 02-21-2020, 10:48 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by punkin View Post
Thanks very much. I no longer have the factory points unit. Do you mind me asking which MSD distributor you're running?
On the Pontiac it's an 8528, which is machined to accept a vacuum advance, they just don't supply it. So I added a vacuum advance to it, you can see in the picture.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P2190001.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	56.0 KB
ID:	532592  

Old 02-21-2020, 01:41 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formulajones View Post
On the Pontiac it's an 8528, which is machined to accept a vacuum advance, they just don't supply it. So I added a vacuum advance to it, you can see in the picture.
I thank you very much. Didn't realize you could add the advance to that unit. Wish I could do this for the Mallory that I have.

Northwind with XFlow TBI
4L80E

Last edited by punkin; 02-21-2020 at 01:48 PM.
Old 02-22-2020, 11:13 AM
Senior Chief

I've used many a GM points dizzy to fire msd!

I call it a rat sleeper.
Old 03-08-2020, 05:54 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Although not cheap the MSD Pro billet PART# 8563 is a great trouble free distributor but it's too bad they don't offer this unit with a vacuum advance option so you can run it on the street. I have always wondered why they don't make it with a vacuum advance option if they did I'd run it on my 67 LeMans street car. What I have now is a factory points dist triggered with an MSD.

Old 03-08-2020, 06:24 PM
Senior Chief

I have nothing but regrets. About 20 years ago I tossed out the factory points unit and put the Mallory Unilite in when I started racing. Some lessons have to be learned the hard way I guess.

Northwind with XFlow TBI
4L80E
Old 03-08-2020, 07:32 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Corcoran View Post
Although not cheap the MSD Pro billet PART# 8563 is a great trouble free distributor but it's too bad they don't offer this unit with a vacuum advance option
What's funny is that's exactly how the 8528 used to be years ago, no vacuum advance. But the housing would accept the addition, which I did.

Now it seems like a roll reversal, they've changed the no vacuum advance unit to part number 8563 and now offer a vacuum advance on the 8528.

Old 03-09-2020, 05:00 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by punkin View Post
I have nothing but regrets. About 20 years ago I tossed out the factory points unit and put the Mallory Unilite in when I started racing. Some lessons have to be learned the hard way I guess.

They are all over E Bay for 30$. More for rare stuff. Even a cast iron unit for 15$. They are the best IMO. I run one, solid as it gets. I have not found one all worn out yet. Seen many a aluminum unit that needs rebuilding. Maybe they have a bigger bushing or oil it better.
I trigger my 7AL with that distributor and never, ever have issues. Points last forever. 2 sets of points since 1990 and I changed them just because, nothing wrong with them.

Old 03-10-2020, 05:23 PM
Senior Chief

8528 is a ready-to-run all in one deal?

Old 03-10-2020, 06:09 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by promptcritical View Post
8528 is a ready-to-run all in one deal?
Yes it is. Just need a good coil and wire it all up.
https://www.holley.com/products/igni...iac/parts/8528

Clay

Old 03-10-2020, 06:28 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Vaught View Post
I have used a PONTIAC factory 1965 Transistor Ignition distributor to trigger my MSD Box.
Works perfectly with the advance curve and the vacuum distributor can.

Tom V.
That is a very nice set up and works perfectly as described. I left the transistor ignition box in place and hid the wires so it looked like it was still in the circuit. Put the MSD in the car also hidden. May be a little hard to find the distributor now. If you have the room, a HEI for a trigger is the same idea.

Old 03-16-2020, 07:10 PM
Suspended

I'd rather have a single point distributor triggering a CD box like the Vertex Z-6 then a HEI... Get the blue Bosch coil (#00012) with 3-4 ohms and your set..