THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 11-27-2019, 11:28 AM

Lightbulb Car Show Awards

What’s everyone’s take on displaying awards all around your car at a show or car related event? Personally I don’t like to see this. I truly understand people are proud to receive awards, but I feel it’s kind of tacky to display them at events. Some may think others will vote for them if they see the awards displayed, I feel the opposite. If I see this I tend to choose someone else. A better choice for me, is to maybe have a photo album with pictures of the awards from special events. I have timeline photos of my cars restorations that we do, in photo form, but only have pictures of speciality awards in the album, like Best in Show, etc. I don’t have every award picture in them, and never display them on the show field.

~MaryAnn~ AKA "Stickybuns"
1969 Firebird 400 Convertible
1978 Bandit T/A Tribute
1977 RED TA

I'm the FiredUp PY bad girl
Old 11-27-2019, 11:37 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Keep them at home.
A display board is nice detailing the work that was done and by who.

1968 GTO (Thanks Mom)
2006 Silverado
2007 Cadillac SRX
2015 Chevy Express

Old 11-27-2019, 03:16 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I don't care for it either. If a person is trying to win an award at a show, awards they won at previous shows are irrelevant.

Old 11-27-2019, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart View Post
I don't care for it either. If a person is trying to win an award at a show, awards they won at previous shows are irrelevant.

I don’t personally win the award anyhow the CAR does, but I don’t like seeing people trying to tip the scales in their favor, like jumping up out of their chairs to tell the Judges everything about their car lol. I just shake my head and smirk. Only time I speak is if I’m spoken too, and asked a question, or thanking them for a compliment.

Besides, until I pack my trunk with chair, mini table, my spare tire, tool box, cooler, and cleaning detailing bag, who has room for awards to display?

1978 Bandit T/A Tribute
1977 RED TA

Old 11-27-2019, 08:35 PM
Ultimate Warrior

CoWorker won a Award, scoring 97.5% on his 63 FI 4-speed Vette. Think that translates to Correct Car Value north of $120k.

Not just another pretty car award.

Old 11-27-2019, 09:55 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Half-Inch Stud View Post
CoWorker won a Award, scoring 97.5% on his 63 FI 4-speed Vette. Think that translates to Correct Car Value north of $120k.

Not just another pretty car award.
For something like that they could just put "Bloomington Gold" or whatever on their hero card in the window, and that would be more than adequate.

Old 11-29-2019, 12:45 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Tacky!!!!

Old 11-29-2019, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goatracer1 View Post
Tacky!!!!

That sums it up well!

1978 Bandit T/A Tribute
1977 RED TA

Old 11-29-2019, 11:28 AM
Ultimate Warrior

It's a little narcissistic.

1970 Trans Am RAIII 4 speed
1971 Trans Am 5.3 LM7
1977 Trans Am W72 Y82
1987 Grand National
Old 11-29-2019, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72projectbird View Post

Whoa, now there’s a word I’m impressed lol

1978 Bandit T/A Tribute
1977 RED TA

Old 11-29-2019, 12:57 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

On a personal level, this is a moot point. The only car show award I've ever won, myself is the year the rubber hose on my 76 Formy split open on the cruise the night before the show. I spewed gas all over for the last little bit of the cruise. We got the car home safely, and replaced the hose the next morning after a run too the parts store. All this made me too late to the show to register. Anyhow, I ended up with the hard luck trophy because of it. I gave the trophy to my pal Les' son Byron as he was the one who actually fit in to change the hose. Needless to say he loved the trophy, and I believe he still has it, lol.I hope one of you gets a kick out of this story. I know I still do.

Old 11-29-2019, 01:46 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Dust collectors, I know guys that will show up to a car show 6-7 hours early to get the perfect spot. Also when you have 25 different classes and 75 trophies getting one is not a big deal. I know a car show that happens once a month but you can only win a trophy one time a summer so everyone gets a chance “really “. I go to the local car shows but I’m done in a hour or two and very rarely will I take the car. Most local car shows are a click just saying you could make a bad reality show if you wanted to.

Old 11-29-2019, 02:27 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The only trophies that I care about are the one's that I received from the POCI and GTOAA National Conventions I've attended and the Land O' Lakes GTO Club's Muscle Car Classic.

Eric White (RIP) designed all of them, which makes them even more of a precious memory.

I've never brought any of them to a car show.

I consider that to be "gauche" (that's for you, MA...).

Old 11-29-2019, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grandam1979 View Post
Dust collectors, I know guys that will show up to a car show 6-7 hours early to get the perfect spot. Also when you have 25 different classes and 75 trophies getting one is not a big deal. I know a car show that happens once a month but you can only win a trophy one time a summer so everyone gets a chance “really “. I go to the local car shows but I’m done in a hour or two and very rarely will I take the car. Most local car shows are a click just saying you could make a bad reality show if you wanted to.

I’ve been doing shows since the 80’s. And most all had actual classes either by years or makes, or models. These days most are not doing the first, second, third place awards, but rather, you park as you come, and they give TOP awards like Top 25, Top 50, and Top 75. Then they have bigger awards and they’re considered SPECIALITY Awards like, clubs choice, ladies choice, best paint, long distance, hard luck, project in progress, best survivor unrestored, best Street Rod, and best New Wave recreations such as Challengers, Mustangs, and Camaros.

Shows for me are a chance to meet up with fellow car enthusiasts that have become friends, that we don’t see much or at all in the off season, as well as sharing my knowledge and suggestions to others who may be restoring a car for show or simply pleasure. Sources to find parts or detailing tips and products.

1978 Bandit T/A Tribute
1977 RED TA

Old 11-29-2019, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Champ View Post
The only trophies that I care about are the one's that I received from the POCI and GTOAA National Conventions I've attended and the Land O' Lakes GTO Club's Muscle Car Classic.

Eric White (RIP) designed all of them, which makes them even more of a precious memory.

I've never brought any of them to a car show.

I consider that to be "gauche" (that's for you, MA...).

I get it.

1978 Bandit T/A Tribute
1977 RED TA

Old 11-29-2019, 07:31 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Car shows are a time and place for me to dry-wash my car. Never cared to attain a Trophy.

Old 11-29-2019, 08:48 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I always try to take a car to shows and cruises because I know that if everyone just went to watch there would be nothing to see.

I gave up on trophies a long time ago- my cars aren’t built for that. If I had one car it would probably be amazing- but I have several with okay paint jobs and reproduction parts. That I love.

I will say that I can appreciate the 100 point cars- I take photos all the time to let me know what colors I need to paint brackets, parts, etc... it’s just not my thing.

It’s nice to get an award- I usually do the Autorama every Thanksgiving and it’s nice to get a 2nd/3rd in my class but I do it to show off the work I put in the car- not to walk away with a trophy

Old 11-29-2019, 09:05 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72projectbird View Post
Agree. I went to one of the larger shows in my area this fall. They park me next to a guy with a 32 Ford roadster replica. He gives me a look like how dare they park me next to him. He had a dozen trophy displayed around his car. Man he was pompous. I loved the look on his face when I received a top 10. He threw his trophies in his car and left. Made my day.

Old 11-29-2019, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Half-Inch Stud View Post
Car shows are a time and place for me to dry-wash my car. Never cared to attain a Trophy.

I don’t go for the awards, I go for the people. The awards are a special extra, and I don’t go to only shows with awards.

1978 Bandit T/A Tribute
1977 RED TA

Old 11-29-2019, 09:25 PM
Ultimate Warrior

awards?
The closest I got was I won a door prize once!
lol

Quite likely one of few '70 Muncie three speed Formula 400's left.

1991 Grand Am: 14.4 @ 93.7mph (DA corrected) (retired DD, stock appearing)
2009 Cobalt SS: 13.9 @ 103mph (current DD; makes something north of 300hp & 350ft/lbs)