Old 04-01-2014, 05:22 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default Edmonton guys

Hey, it's a shot in the dark, but are there any Edmonton, AB guys here?

Old 04-01-2014, 11:07 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

There is about 6 or 7 of us.02 Hawk, Goathead, Guidos, is in Red Deer , Chuckies76TA, and a few others that are on the board on a regular basis.

Shawn

1968 Firebird Race Car,525 CU IAll looking for low 10 second passes!
1970 442, # Matching 455, 4 Speed W-25 hood
Old 04-01-2014, 11:23 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Hey I didn't think there would be anyone. Any chance I can pay someone to swing by and tune my car? As you can see in the 68-69GTO/Lemans forum, I have tried but I am not succeeding. I am missing something here and it would be great to get resolved

Old 04-03-2014, 10:31 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Call Marty at Pro Max, tell him Shawn told you to call him. Knows Pontiac very well. Go to Pro Max Performance web site, they are on the southside on 51 st ave and between 97 and 96 street

Old 12-27-2014, 11:40 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I'm in Calgary;
Even though I'm a *little* late chiming in, I figured I'd speak up (I'm normally in the 70-73 Firebird subforum);
I'm not on here all the time - but in my travels I've met a good number of PY'ers - and even Albertian-PY'ers at the most unexpected places

I hope you got your tuning figured out!

Quite likely one of few '70 Muncie three speed Formula 400's left.

1991 Grand Am: 14.4 @ 93.7mph (DA corrected) (retired DD, stock appearing)
2009 Cobalt SS: 13.9 @ 103mph (current DD; makes something north of 300hp & 350ft/lbs)
Old 12-28-2014, 12:19 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default good mechanic

I am from Red Deer but my cousin is in Edmonton and has a shop off the yellowhead. Very good mechanic and has a hotrod shop as well. The name of the shop is wiltoronics and his phone # is 780-455-1475. Give him a call, his name is Randy. I am not sure he would go to your house though?? Tell him Brent sent you.

Old 12-28-2014, 08:04 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by niceta View Post
I am from Red Deer but my cousin is in Edmonton and has a shop off the yellowhead. Very good mechanic and has a hotrod shop as well. The name of the shop is wiltoronics and his phone # is 780-455-1475. Give him a call, his name is Randy. I am not sure he would go to your house though?? Tell him Brent sent you.
I just noticed my bad spelling. The shop is Wiltronics

Old 12-28-2014, 09:25 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Are any of you guys part of the Alberta Iron Indians club? I am joining starting this year. I have spoken to them some on the Facebook group and at the car shows, and they seem to be a good group of people

Old 12-29-2014, 12:43 AM
Ultimate Warrior

They do seem like a good group of guys;
When I last considered joining they were more into the really old stuff or 'darksider' Pontiac's (and then there's the Fiero contingent) ~ being a Firebird guy, it seemed apparent that it wasn't my scene, but alot could have changed since then... it was a while ago, and since my bird (formerly plural) has been hibernating awaiting a proper rebuild, I haven't been too involved with local clubs...

Well, I tried but these FWD cars I've been having fun with (ESPECIALLY the Grand Am) really haven't helped my cause, because they're the Rodney Dangerfield of enthusiast cars ~ they don't get no respect.

2009 Cobalt SS: 13.9 @ 103mph (current DD; makes something north of 300hp & 350ft/lbs)
Old 12-29-2014, 01:22 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Yes several of us are Iron Indian members from the Edmonton chapter. SlGenge and Chuckies are members also

Old 12-29-2014, 10:30 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Oh!?!

This just goes to show my ignorance!!

I didn't know that there were Calgaray and Edmonton chapters!?!

Huh, I just learned aomething new!
... with that being said, my limited exposure with Edmonton chapter Iron Indians was that they seem like a seriously cool group

Old 12-30-2014, 06:07 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Edmonton Chapter has over 130 members, Calgary Chapter has about 80. We have a bit of everything in our club, Good to see you still on the board Jon, when you going to Norwalk again?

Old 01-08-2015, 02:05 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by slgenge View Post
Edmonton Chapter has over 130 members, Calgary Chapter has about 80. We have a bit of everything in our club, Good to see you still on the board Jon, when you going to Norwalk again?
Probably not any time soon.

I just wanted to check that show out, and decided to spice it up by running my Grand Am ~ and I had alot of fun too ~ meeting up with you guys was just the icing on the cake...

I got married in 2014, and we're expecting next month ~ So getting my Firebird rebuilt aside, I'm guessing it will be some time before I can venture out to the "mid-west" again...

A couple years before the Pontaic Nationals, I attended the Trans Am Nationals in Dayton ~ that time I drove a Firebird there...

But I aspire to get my '70 Formula done, and go here;
http://www.purestockdrags.com/p/blog-page.html
http://www.purestockdrags.com/p/rules.html
... and I'll be doing my Firebird to adhere to their rules.

Are there any events held at Castrol that you guys (or the Edmonton branch of Iron Indians) attend?
I last went to Castrol on July long 2012... and I've ben itching to go again...
unfortunately it was with a more recently purchased 'wrong-wheel-drive' car
Actually Guidos was there with his G8 (I had met him even before I started going on the internet) - I borke into the 13's that night and was pretty proud of that fact, but he did even better - he was 1/2-3/4 of a second faster than me...
oh well.

Man do I miss Race City - it might have sucked near the end, but at least it was a quarter mile track that wasn't three hours away!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	castrol july long 2012.jpg
Views:	366
Size:	103.8 KB
ID:	386719  

Old 01-22-2015, 06:04 PM

Jon or others, any opinion you'd care to share about Dale Adams Automotive or Classic Performance, as far as getting some mechanical work done? (Both are in Calgary)

Thanks - Bob

Old 01-23-2015, 02:46 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Wanabee View Post
Jon or others, any opinion you'd care to share about Dale Adams Automotive or Classic Performance, as far as getting some mechanical work done? (Both are in Calgary)

Thanks - Bob
I have one strong answer, and one not-so-strong answer.

Dale Adams:

My recomendation: stay away.

I've heard way more terrible stories than good;
I was for a breif period in the automotive industry, and my (then) boss started out at Dale Adams before going on to become a fully certified GM Tech - he had so many horror stories...
I first went there many years ago to inquire about them helping me with a carburetor issue, and seeing about them possibly rebuilding my carburetor... they wanted an absurd amount of money (for me a the time) to even LOOK at my carburetor.

Classic Performance:

http://www.classicperformance.us/

Carmine is CP; he can be a great guy.
He has rubbed me wrong on occasion, but I am guilty of this too(just look at the recent RAIII thread I was in on!), so it would be pretty shallow of me to hold it against him, when I'm at least just as guilty...

He is (or was a) big Pontiac guy. He was involved with the Iron Indians in Calgary (I do not know if he is a current member in good standing).

I have bought some stuff off of him, and overall, I wasn't impressed with the quality of the parts purchased (I chalk it up to lesson learned, he might have offered better stuff, but I don't recall him offering any better, and I didn't think to ask).

I have had him take care of a set of my heads getting rebuilt many years ago - long story short, after getting them back, things went awry... I ended up stranded in Thompkins SK.
I cannot recall if he made things right or not (I believe he did) - but I ended up having them re-rebuilt by another local Pontiac guy in Strathmore a while later, and he cited MANY problems with them, which is how I came to learn of the issues to begin with...

Carmine/CP is a great resource if you're looking to buy reproduction stuff, and don't want to deal with the hassle of cross border shipments yourself - he has good prices, and even if it's not an item he would regularly source, I would suspect he can get most anything out there offered.

Since I haven't dealt with him on a purely mechanical level (those heads were outsourced early on in his business), I can't speak to this, but he is knowledgable enough, that you should be able to speak to him, and get some straight answers if you're considering having him handle something for you.
One on one, he seems to shoot straight, and be a genuinely nice guy.
Every time I have popped by his shop he has had really nice cars there being worked on - I would suspect that should speak for itself.

Outsourcing any mechanical stuff is a precarious spot - which is why I generally choose to either do it myself, or zero in on a place that WILL know how to do what I'm looking for.
(I learnt this from trial and error)

Incase it matters, for regular mechanical work, this is the shop that I recommend people go to: http://calgaryautorepairs.ca/index.html

Old 01-23-2015, 05:15 PM

Thanks very much Jon, I appreciate the time you took to share all that. I've sourced supplies through Carmine, and went to DA for a daily driver issue with good results. Both occasions went well, but I'm more picky on getting resto/mechanical work done on the Pontiac. I may look into Muscle Motors in Strath - I think that's who you're suggesting. I guess I should join Iron Indians too... my "Wannabe Trans Am" wouldn't fit in at the Calgary Firebird Club.

Old 01-23-2015, 07:24 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I used to be a member of CFC, but left for good reason.

What I don't understand about DA was how they managed to get to be an authorized Shelby parts(?) dealer;
My boss's father-in-law had his '05ish Shelby Mustang get the Super Snake package (wasn't all the stuff, but it has the hood and engine changes if I understood correctly) - and he is happy with it.

The guy in strathmore (name eludes me atm) used to manage the machine shop, but went out on his own.
He does fantastic work;
My only concern is that he likes tighter than factory bearing clearances on the crankshaft - it took my cousin's TA way more miles than expected to break in...

I am glad that you have dealt with both DA and Carmine, so that you have an idea as to what you might expect...
There's also a guy north of Red Deer... I'd have to dig his card out though, it's been a LONG time since I've seen him - but body wise he does fantastic work ~ and he too is a Pontiac nut...

Last edited by unruhjonny; 01-23-2015 at 08:14 PM.
Old 02-03-2015, 11:34 AM
Senior Chief

FWIW, I'm an Edmonton guy, too.

I can't speak to Carmine's work - a little far to take my stuff to Calgary. But that said, I've bought lots of reproduction stuff from Classic - both for my GTO and my T/A, and I've always found Carmine to be good to deal with and his pricing is very fair. The only time I ever had an issue with a part (not his fault - it was broken inside a sealed box), he had a replacement to be via Greyhound the next day. For parts I highly recomend them.

Old 02-09-2015, 09:44 AM
Senior Chief

Calgary guy

Seems like we're hijacking the thread. The guy's name in Strathmore is Todd. Good guy, not cheap but who is these days.
I used to sell a lot of firebird parts to Edmonton guys. My prices were a fraction of David T's
There are a lot of firebird/pontiac guys in the country side around Edmonton. Usually they are not exclusive to pontiac though.
It seems the only time Calgary and Edmonton gets together is at the Red deer swap meet crowding around the one pontiac part there.