Old 07-17-2020, 03:59 PM

Default Marimba Red 1 and 2 Variants

Quick note if you’re looking up the paint code for Marimba Red, there are two variants available.
According to my paint shop (a PPG distributor in town) Variant 1 has more transparent component in it and Variant 2 has more pigment.
I interpreted that as Variant 1 would build up nicer as a single stage, having more clear in that metallic that would help with color sanding. And Variant 2 would give better coverage with less coats-better for base coat/clear coat.
It’s important to note Marimba Red was sprayed over black primer from the factory. I learned to follow the factory’s primer color when I painted two cars Silvermist grey. The first, a 64 GP was painted over black sealer, the second, a 64 Bonneville, was painted over grey. Same paint, clear, and number of coats. They both look beautiful but, side by side, the GP looked darker, richer and, I feel, matched the original color better. This is just my observation, everyone paints differently and the same Silver will look different according to painter, number of coats, spray gun, psi, all sorts of variables but I wanted to post about the Marimba red differences since I haven’t seen them described anywhere.

Old 07-17-2020, 10:25 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Codes L1 & L2 1963 USED L1 & 1964 USED L2 Both were called Marimba red