Old 08-06-2020, 01:02 PM

Default tranny swap shop houston/austin/san antonio area

Looking for a recommendation for a tranny shop in the Houston/Austin/San Antonio area that can put a Muncie M20 into a 1966 GP. I have a complete 1966 GP 4 speed donor car with all of the necessary parts and a 1966 GP with an automatic. I need a tranny shop that is competent to do this and willing to deal with the inevitable headaches .
Any shop suggestions???

Old 08-06-2020, 01:19 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The last place you need for such an installation is a transmission shop. Most transmission shops are staffed with guys that in my exp, you sure the H#ll don't want doing such an installation on any old car.

With the front carpet out, should be a half day to full day job by an individual/mechanic that's well versed in restoration type work... thats what I'd pursue. Auto pedal asm has to be swapped for stick pedals. Floor has to be cut for the shifter porch to eventually be screwed to. Bolting up the flywheel, clutch, & pressure plate , installing pilot bearing or bushing in the crank register, bolting up the clutch linkage, installing the long tail Muncie, aligning the shifter linkage, not that terribly difficult.

Old 08-13-2020, 03:03 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Just a stab in the dark, but both Silver Sport Transmissions and American Power Train have a list of independent installation shops to install their Tremec products. Seems these shops would be well versed in installations and your install would be easier since the original trans won't need the tunnel enlarged.

Old 08-25-2020, 07:17 PM

Basis my recent experience it does indeed seem that most tranny shops do not want to fool with this kind of swap. It may be because their focus is rebuilding auto trans or ?? Unless Silver Sport Transmissions or APT have a local recommendation I will probably go with a general auto repair shop run by someone with some gray in their hair. Thanks for the suggestions.