Ames Customer Satisfaction Forum Post a 'current' compliment, suggestion or issue with regard to an Ames service or product.

Old 05-19-2019, 10:47 AM
Ultimate Warrior

The headline on the ad says NOS!You have to go to the body of the description to get the truth!Tom

Old 05-19-2019, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom s View Post
The headline on the ad says NOS!You have to go to the body of the description to get the truth!Tom
Ebay sellers will use anything it takes to draw attention to their item like "Super Duty", "GTO" "NOS" it gets old fast

Old 05-19-2019, 11:30 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Default backing plates

This stuff is getting confusing, Inline tube says there parts are made in the usa, Ames is getting the part from the parts place, made in china...…….and they are saying the parts place is the best one...…..

The pics show my original part, been trying to get someone to put a little weld down in that bad area...……..seems like everyone has too much money up in my neck of the woods, no time for something like that.

Got everything hooked up and then I find the hole for the parking cable is way to small, so now im out looking for a 37/64 drill bit...……..its not like there just floating around in every store.

Thinking of just painting my old ones and try that, ……….

Waiting to hear from the ames tech about the issue with the parking brake hole...…

Rich
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Backing plates  (1).jpg
Views:	323
Size:	57.2 KB
ID:	512540   Click image for larger version

Name:	Backing plates  (3).jpg
Views:	308
Size:	56.3 KB
ID:	512541  

Old 05-19-2019, 01:34 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Might be more EZ to find a number drill in that size?Tom

Old 05-19-2019, 02:37 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Rich ship em to me

I will get em welded up and done for you and make em ready to use

I have a couple sets I need to do done here also for resale

even if its 75.00 to weld em up there... dont alter the repops or they wont be new or returnable

shipping is 18.oo each way to me

or

fairly sure those are olds backing plates also

I have not seen that style with the debris shield on an Lemans 8.2 out of the 75+ I have owned

Scott
2o6 465 9l65

Last edited by Scott Thelander; 05-19-2019 at 02:42 PM.
Old 05-19-2019, 03:47 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Thelander View Post
Rich ship em to me

I will get em welded up and done for you and make em ready to use

I have a couple sets I need to do done here also for resale

even if its 75.00 to weld em up there... dont alter the repops or they wont be new or returnable

shipping is 18.oo each way to me

or

fairly sure those are olds backing plates also

I have not seen that style with the debris shield on an Lemans 8.2 out of the 75+ I have owned

Scott
2o6 465 9l65
Scott, you always contact me after I wreck stuff....lol, I got those cables to fit, my best buddy miller lite came over and I used a rat file & rasp, took about 25 minutes per side....

Thank you for the offer, but the guy who welded up my other issue with the axle called, hes somewhat busy but he will do it in a couple of weeks.

But being the tight mother I am...…….and since I have the brakes all hooked up, lines and all im sticking with this junk and hoping for the best.

Getting the axles fixed tomorrow...…...did I go overboard with trying to protect the bearings.

Oh, by the way when I looked up that # on the back of the plates, said they were chevy stuff, well that would only be right with the olds rear end.

Thanks again for everyone that helped me with this...…..hope this all falls into place.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Taped axle.jpg
Views:	305
Size:	58.3 KB
ID:	512551  

Old 05-20-2019, 08:16 AM
Ames Tech Staff member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom s View Post
Tom, if you would like to discuss an item from another supplier, please start a thread elsewhere. Thanks

Old 05-20-2019, 08:17 AM
Ames Tech Staff member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtorich View Post
Just wondering when you did your testing, did you try to get a parking brake cable in the way undersized hole.

In the pic is where the cable fits in the original part...…….the other pic I cant even get it started in the hole.

Im thinking of just buying from the other manufacture just to see if they are worse, which I find hard to believe. lol
Hi Rich, let me look into it! Thanks

Old 05-20-2019, 11:07 AM
Administrator

Quote:
This stuff is getting confusing, Inline tube says there parts are made in the usa, Ames is getting the part from the parts place, made in china...…….and they are saying the parts place is the best one...…..
Those inline tube backing plates are not made in house.

Just a heads up. Inline Tube makes almost nothing in Michigan. It's almost all imported.

Old 06-19-2019, 04:27 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Backing plates

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMES-TECH View Post
Hi Rich, let me look into it! Thanks
Hi, didn't expect you look into it right away, been about a month...……..so are you saying the holes in the backing plate are good to go...……..mine were not.

Rich

Old 06-20-2019, 04:02 PM
Ames Tech Staff member

Quote:
Hi, didn't expect you look into it right away, been about a month...……..so are you saying the holes in the backing plate are good to go...……..mine were not.

Rich
Rich, I apologize for the delay! I just sent you a PM.

Old 08-25-2019, 08:54 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Replying by a private message shuts down the usefulness of this thread. I, and I'm sure others, would be interested in knowing the what's up with those backing plates. If ordered now, do we still get the same Chev/Olds splash shield style? The same undersized parking brake holes? No brake shoe tabs?

Old 08-26-2019, 08:18 AM
Ames Tech Staff member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andretti View Post
Replying by a private message shuts down the usefulness of this thread. I, and I'm sure others, would be interested in knowing the what's up with those backing plates. If ordered now, do we still get the same Chev/Olds splash shield style? The same undersized parking brake holes? No brake shoe tabs?
The parking brake cable hole is undersized, this is due to the fact that some earlier GM reproduction cables were of a smaller diameter. To use a new repro cable, you must drill out the hole about 50 thousandths. All other questions have been answered in this thread. Thanks!