Old 08-02-2020, 11:17 PM

Default 1964 8 lug Grand Prix, I want to put Torque Thrust wheels on it and shelve the 8 Lugs

Ihave a 1964 Grand Prix, it is a factory 421 Tri-Power 4 speed car with the 8 lug wheels. I had a tire blow in the garage because it was just too old and now I have to decide if I want to buy 4 Coker tires which are very expensive or just shelf the 8 lug wheels a put on some American Torque Thrust wheels and more modern large radial tires.

I really want to run the Torque thrust wheels (8 inch wide) with some 255-15 BFG tires, the tires will be half the price of the Cokers, look better and run better, and I love the Torque thrust wheels on that car.

Has anyone done this? What conventional brake drums can I run, is there someone I can contact that can guide me and sell me what I will need?

Let me know if you can. Thanks in advance. Dave

Old 08-03-2020, 12:50 AM
Ultimate Warrior

There is an alternative. BOP Engineering shows replacement rim in custom sizes. $219
per corner. And another $30/ea if you want chrome. Which kinda makes sense, because
you still have to source trim rings.

No clue, other than I heard about them. Food for thought is all.

https://www.bopengineering.com/pontiac_full_size.shtml

Old 08-03-2020, 01:08 AM
Ultimate Warrior

If you decide to change to the Torq-Thrusts, all you need to do is source a set of regular brake drums to replace the 8 lugs. 1961 front drum/hub assemblies will fit but they used ball bearings instead of roller bearings, so 1962-1964 drums are a better choice. Check through some of the older discussions in this section about wheel width and backspacing, and tire size - an 8" wheel with a 255 tire may or may not fit.

Old 08-03-2020, 01:36 AM

I’m running 15x8 8 lug rims with 255/60/15 tires on the rear of my ‘64 Bonneville. Not sure if it’s the same wheel well as your GP but they fit great on my car.

I had the wheels custom made for me about 25 years ago, before they were available off the shelf. I spent a lot of time measuring and mocking the wheels up to get the backspacing right on the money before they were welded up solid. I’m about to put new tires on the car, same size, but I’m switching to raised white letter Cooper Cobras. (I bought a ‘68 Malibu recently with Cobras and I really like them. They handle the horsepower well and I feel they’re a newer, better design than the BFG, and cheaper too. Like you, I didn’t want Cokers on there. I also heard, but haven’t verified, that Coker is making the new BFG TAs, not a dealbreaker for me but it just came to mind. I have Cokers on several cars at the moment)

The reason I’m going with raised white letter is I want to have them shaved to make original width whitewalls. I live in car-obsessed L.A. and back in the 70s/80s, most tire shops in East Los Angeles would have a tire shaving machine to make custom wide whites. There’s still a guy that comes to our car shows that does that service on your car and they look real good. And, hey, Jay Leno just had it done on one of his builds so if it’s good enough for Jay, it’s good enough for me.

This doesn’t help you with your love of the Torque Thrusts, and I can’t blame you there, they do look good on a GP, but those 8 lugs are just so unique, in my opinion.

Old 08-03-2020, 06:08 AM

Default Thanks for the replies!

Thanks for the replies, please keep them coming and let me know what you all think, it is appreciated! Dave

Old 08-03-2020, 08:51 AM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1970ls5 View Post
Ihave a 1964 Grand Prix, it is a factory 421 Tri-Power 4 speed car with the 8 lug wheels. I had a tire blow in the garage because it was just too old and now I have to decide if I want to buy 4 Coker tires which are very expensive or just shelf the 8 lug wheels a put on some American Torque Thrust wheels and more modern large radial tires.

I really want to run the Torque thrust wheels (8 inch wide) with some 255-15 BFG tires, the tires will be half the price of the Cokers, look better and run better, and I love the Torque thrust wheels on that car.

Has anyone done this? What conventional brake drums can I run, is there someone I can contact that can guide me and sell me what I will need?

Let me know if you can. Thanks in advance. Dave
Dave??? Dat you???

Its your car and if you want TT's, go with the TT's. It will look cool.

Seeing that no one really answered your question so far I will help.

The rear is simple. All you need to do is replace the 8 Lug drum with an Iron drum. You can get them at NAPA.

The front, you have choices. If you ever wanted disc brakes, now is the time to do them. There are kits out there. If you didn't want, or need disc brakes, you will need an Iron drum and hub assembly as well as wheel bearings with races. You may be able to obtain these through NAPA or you'll have to look elsewhere.

Old 08-03-2020, 10:28 AM

It is Dave but i don't know if it is the right Dave you are talking about. I am affiliated with Charly K. at Warpath here in the bottom, it might be where we have met, do not know. Thanks for your reply. Dave

Old 08-03-2020, 10:33 AM

I have not been on the BOP sight in quite a while but thanks for pointing this out, I think I will keep the 8 lugs thanks to your suggestion and go for 15" rims, 8 wide in the rear and 7 in the front. Have not
pulled the trigger yet but if I do they will be in chrome. From reading I see it may be hard to balance them as you need a special disc, any ideas? Thanks in advance. Dave

Old 08-03-2020, 10:36 AM

I went to Ames and it seems they sell an adaptor to balance the wheels, looks like this is doable. Dave

Old 08-03-2020, 10:40 AM

I have seen the big cars with 8 lugs and chrome wheels without the trim rings, Groucho had one years ago and posted pictures of it on the YB, I like the look and those trim rings are pricey. If I go
this route will get the rims in chrome and forgo the trim rings. Thanks for all the help and keep the replies coming so I can make the best choice. Dave

Old 08-03-2020, 10:57 AM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1970ls5 View Post
It is Dave but i don't know if it is the right Dave you are talking about. I am affiliated with Charly K. at Warpath here in the bottom, it might be where we have met, do not know. Thanks for your reply. Dave
Avatar is a dead giveaway buddy.

I thought you wanted to keep this 100% original? TT's are an excellent choice though although I prefer Cragar SS's.

Old 08-04-2020, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrArt2u View Post
I’m running 15x8 8 lug rims with 255/60/15 tires on the rear of my ‘64 Bonneville. Not sure if it’s the same wheel well as your GP but they fit great on my car.

I had the wheels custom made for me about 25 years ago, before they were available off the shelf. I spent a lot of time measuring and mocking the wheels up to get the backspacing right on the money before they were welded up solid. I’m about to put new tires on the car, same size, but I’m switching to raised white letter Cooper Cobras. (I bought a ‘68 Malibu recently with Cobras and I really like them. They handle the horsepower well and I feel they’re a newer, better design than the BFG, and cheaper too. Like you, I didn’t want Cokers on there. I also heard, but haven’t verified, that Coker is making the new BFG TAs, not a dealbreaker for me but it just came to mind. I have Cokers on several cars at the moment)

The reason I’m going with raised white letter is I want to have them shaved to make original width whitewalls. I live in car-obsessed L.A. and back in the 70s/80s, most tire shops in East Los Angeles would have a tire shaving machine to make custom wide whites. There’s still a guy that comes to our car shows that does that service on your car and they look real good. And, hey, Jay Leno just had it done on one of his builds so if it’s good enough for Jay, it’s good enough for me.

This doesn’t help you with your love of the Torque Thrusts, and I can’t blame you there, they do look good on a GP, but those 8 lugs are just so unique, in my opinion.
Do you remember the back spacing? The 8 lug rims from BOP are a 4.75 B.S.

Dave

Old 08-04-2020, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief of the 60's View Post
Avatar is a dead giveaway buddy.

I thought you wanted to keep this 100% original? TT's are an excellent choice though although I prefer Cragar SS's.
I have had a hard time seeing the picture, could you send me the original 8X10? Dave

1970ls5@bellsouth.net

Old 08-04-2020, 01:35 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I also have a 1964 GP. If you change the drums just remember Prior to 1964 the left hand drums had LEFT hand thread studs and lug nuts. 1964 went to all RIGHT hand thread You should be able to buy new drums with little trouble. Someone local might have a good used set. I converted my GP to disc brakes and gave my drums (not 8 lugs} and hardware away to someone in the club for free. If you save your 8 lugs in an hour you can always put them back on.

Old 08-04-2020, 04:21 PM
Suspended

Diamond back sells the radial tire you want for that car.. They look great and ride smooth..

Old 08-04-2020, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goatracer1 View Post
I also have a 1964 GP. If you change the drums just remember Prior to 1964 the left hand drums had LEFT hand thread studs and lug nuts. 1964 went to all RIGHT hand thread You should be able to buy new drums with little trouble. Someone local might have a good used set. I converted my GP to disc brakes and gave my drums (not 8 lugs} and hardware away to someone in the club for free. If you save your 8 lugs in an hour you can always put them back on.
Thanks for all the replies, I bought two rims from BOP for the rear of the car for now from BOP in chrome, 15X8 in the standard 4.75 backspacing. It will take 4-6 weeks as they have to make them and then send out for chrome. It seems they have a company that makes wheels for dirt track cars making them from what the guy told me and racing is not really happening now so he said I should get them a little earlier. Later I will order chrome 8 lug rims for the front in a 7 inch width and run a smaller BFG radial there.

Going to Costco to order the BFG 255-15 T/A radials this week. I wish I could get that tire with no RWL and in a small whitewall. Not sure if I want the letters out or in, I have to think about that. these cars really look good with the small white wall. Blackwalls just do not work and the RWL tires are kind of funky too!

What do you guys think? Dave

Old 08-04-2020, 04:32 PM

I should have added I am only doing the back right now just to get it rolling, the R/R is flat as a pancake and the car is not leaving the garage again until I get it painted, it is mostly in original paint now. I also want to do the vinyl top in black, it never had
one but I like the look of it on these cars. Car is all Cameo White right now and I love that color, just like vinyl tops on these cars. Dave

Old 08-04-2020, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 389 View Post
Diamond back sells the radial tire you want for that car.. They look great and ride smooth..
Thanks, I was aware of them but again that is Coker money and I am trying to stop spending that.

A BFG with skinny W/W is $304.00 for one! I have a pancaked Coker if anyone wants one! Dave

Old 08-04-2020, 07:16 PM
Suspended

I was referring to the Auburn Premium H78-14.. They look great on 14" 8 lugs.... They guy who had them said they were some of the nicest tires he's ever had. Smooth as silk, hardly any weights.. Those 8 lug wheels are usually right on the money...

Old 08-04-2020, 08:37 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 389 View Post
I was referring to the Auburn Premium H78-14.. They look great on 14" 8 lugs.... They guy who had them said they were some of the nicest tires he's ever had. Smooth as silk, hardly any weights.. Those 8 lug wheels are usually right on the money...
I checked the Diamondback website, their HR78-14 Auburn Premium tires are $199/ea in blackwall, $249/ea in redline.