Old 09-11-2020, 05:06 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default My US made jack stands

Since i returned my HF death traps, couldnt find any stands unless made in china. So the question is do i have enough height on these to take my springs out, the car is on the wheels now, but when i put the jacks under the frame it will sit about an inch higher than shows on the wheels.

Caught a couple vids on changing out the springs, seems like there using a 2 1/2 ton jack for lowering the spring, my jack doesnt even come up close to touching the control arm.

Wondering if im overthinking this whole deal. lol

Rich
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Wood jack stands (3).jpg
Views:	192
Size:	53.9 KB
ID:	549277   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wood jack stands (1).jpg
Views:	187
Size:	49.5 KB
ID:	549278   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wood jack stands (2).jpg
Views:	201
Size:	53.9 KB
ID:	549279  

Old 09-11-2020, 06:39 PM
Ultimate Warrior

While that trolley jack will work, because you're only talking about 1000 lbs per side, the contact area of the wheels and the saddle aren't optimum, they also flex under load. I would worry more about getting, or borrowing a real automotive jack in place of that one, because of the flex and tipping possibility. You could do it with that jack, but it's not the optimum tool for the job.

I've probably done 100 sets of springs in the last 50 years without any mishaps, it's not that hard to do. If you use common sense while doing the job you should be fine. There are plenty of You tube videos that show you how to do it, so just watch a few of those before you start.

1984 Grand Prix

100% Pontiacs in my driveway!!! What's in your driveway?

If you don't take some of the RACETRACK home with you, Ya got cheated

Old 09-11-2020, 08:22 PM
Ultimate Warrior

While that trolley jack will work, because you're only talking about 1000 lbs per side, the contact area of the wheels and the saddle aren't optimum, they also flex under load. I would worry more about getting, or borrowing a real automotive jack in place of that one, because of the flex and tipping possibility. You could do it with that jack, but it's not the optimum tool for the job.

Brad, hoping you would chime in........no im not using that jack, i have a 3 ton one that i raised the car with, and im buying another 3 ton jack to put under the front crossmember to help hold up the car just in case, and the other 3 ton to lower the spring.

Im also putting a chain thru the springs............ so your thinking im ok on the height.

Appreciate the help

Rich

Old 09-11-2020, 08:38 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Another option would be to buy a coil spring compressor for a fraction of the cost of buying a second 3-ton jack. It also means you won't need to get the car quite so high off the ground because the coil will be compressed and not full length. Although I agree that using a jack is an easy method of spring removal, there is more than one way to do the job. Sorta depends on the situation.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

1966 Pontiac GTO (restoration thread)
1998 BMW 328is (track rat)
2023 Subaru Crosstrek Limited (daily)
View my photos: Caught in the Wild
Old 09-11-2020, 09:01 PM
Ultimate Warrior

You should be fine on the height, and if you do decide to use a coil spring compressor, don't use a impact wrench on it, and oil the threads well.

1984 Grand Prix

100% Pontiacs in my driveway!!! What's in your driveway?

If you don't take some of the RACETRACK home with you, Ya got cheated

Old 09-12-2020, 06:19 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeGermanHam View Post
Another option would be to buy a coil spring compressor for a fraction of the cost of buying a second 3-ton jack. It also means you won't need to get the car quite so high off the ground because the coil will be compressed and not full length. Although I agree that using a jack is an easy method of spring removal, there is more than one way to do the job. Sorta depends on the situation.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
That is the exact same unit that we bought and used three times. We never had any issues or concerns about safety. I can see maybe taking the springs out without it, but I can't imagine installing the springs quickly, safely, and properly without it.

Old 09-12-2020, 06:26 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66sprint6 View Post
That is the exact same unit that we bought and used three times. We never had any issues or concerns about safety. I can see maybe taking the springs out without it, but I can't imagine installing the springs quickly, safely, and properly without it.
Yeah, I used it to install the UMI springs on my '66, and loaned it to a friend to remove stock springs on his '68 Camaro. Threads still look great. It's affordable enough to easily justify purchasing and not having to worry about a spring flying out. Sometimes you can rent them from auto parts stores, too.

1966 Pontiac GTO (restoration thread)
1998 BMW 328is (track rat)
2023 Subaru Crosstrek Limited (daily)
View my photos: Caught in the Wild
Old 09-12-2020, 10:46 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Ok, here"s where im at tonight......started with the pass side, thought i would have enough room to drop the arm with the headers on............that didnt happen, had to take all the bolts out except the first one........put a chain around the spring, let it drop, had to use a pry bar, just barely touched the spring and it fell out.

The biggest issue i had was the shocks and too much POR 15 on the bolts.......seems im missing those little clips that go on the bottom of the arm to hold in the shocks.

Looks like one side of the shock moved over some..........not sure there supposed to look that way. lol

Thinking i might have screwed up the whole mess so far, my car always sat low in the front, so i thought someone cut a coil or two.........not so. Thats why is was guessing at getting a 1" lowering spring.........well now with the spc uppers lowering it some, and the umi lowers lowering it some.......not sure what to do with this deal.

Now the pass side looked like the easiest and that still was a job, so im thinking about that bolt being so close to the headers on the drive side, thinking of using a saws-all and cutting the bushing out and seeing if i can get the arm out that way.

Just wanted to say thanks for the help from you guys, im learning as i go........i was really parnoid of the spring deal...........turns out that was the easiest part of the job.

Im gonna order that spring compressor kit you guys mentioned for install.

One last question.......when using the old spring i seem to get it to index right away, but when using the new one.........its hard to tell one way or the other..........BUT i assume if i have it right on the bottom, its got to be right on the top.......RIGHT.

On a side note, i should have taken all this apart before ordering $1500 parts that may or may not fit right...........oh boy. If i put this all back together and find the car sits too low, im in trouble.

Rich
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Springs out (3).jpg
Views:	90
Size:	67.9 KB
ID:	549373   Click image for larger version

Name:	Springs out (1).jpg
Views:	77
Size:	61.6 KB
ID:	549374