Old 02-05-2021, 01:12 PM
Senior Chief

Default Automatic vs. Manual backup light switch

I did a conversion from auto to 4 speed m20 in my 72 some time back and never bothered with the backdrive and used a hurst switch on the shifter body for the backup lights.
I recently ordered all the back drive parts, including the switch for manual cars that goes on the column. But I was just wondering as I contemplate installing all this stuff. Could one use an automatic switch with the manual backdrive and get the backup lights to work. The other nss and seat minder would be left unplugged. The reason I ask is because I remember adjusting this switch when I had an auto and misadjusted that I had the backup lights on when it was in park. So I guess there is enough play in the adjustment to get it there.
Like I said, just wondering, I ordered the correct part.

Old 02-05-2021, 04:01 PM
Ultimate Warrior

iirc you want the switch, and the correct reverse lights idle lever on the firewall side of the cowl;
I believe the reverse light idle lever is specific to:
- automatic
- manual/4 speed
- manual/3 speed

You will of course need to correct reverse rod which connects (on a Firebird) directly to the reverse lever arm then to the reverse light idle lever which pivots the column, and engages the correct lamp setting on the switch you should have.

I just found this diagram which should show that parts I have attempted to describe.

Quite likely one of few '70 Muncie three speed Formula 400's left.

1991 Grand Am: 14.4 @ 93.7mph (DA corrected) (retired DD, stock appearing)
2009 Cobalt SS: 13.9 @ 103mph (current DD; makes something north of 300hp & 350ft/lbs)