Old 12-03-2011, 03:23 PM
Senior Chief

Default Whats It Worth 70 GP SJ455 4Speed

Hey guys got a line in a 70 GP factory SJ455 4speed #s match with the exception of 3:73 gears out back. car is orig. silver with black top and interior, has wood wheel factory hood tach, car is currently in primer with both front and rear bumpers and valances removed as well as vynal top. Car has been put in storage for over 12 years and hasnt been run so unsure of running cond. Sorry but i dont have any pics as it kept in a storage trailer. It does need a little rust repair from the top , bottom of rear quarters and trunk, thanks for any input you may have, ive known of this car for about 15 years and would love to have it, just want to get a feel for pricing in this economy.

1970 GTO Pepper Green 400 YS auto Factory A/C 56K orig miles
Old 12-03-2011, 03:59 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Basic car-in-a-box scenario? A buddy of mine sold his '69 GTO in very similar condition last year: $2200 (including thousands in parts).

I'd go 3k, no higher. Assume it won't run and you're missing 25% of the parts to complete it.

Old 12-03-2011, 04:56 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Car sounds familiar like I've heard about it here before. Sounds like a great car to restore, good color combo and rare... 1 of 199 produced with 455 & 4-speed. I would get PHS to document as built and go from there. If all checks out I'd say somewhere between $4K and $8K depending on overall condition and options.

Old 12-03-2011, 05:10 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I'd happily pay $3k for it.

Grant's range closer esp if numbers match on engine and trans.

Old 12-10-2011, 09:14 AM
Senior Chief

If the PHS says it's the real deal then I'd think it would be worth 6-7K which is a quarter of what it would be as a restored car. One of a 199 is what drives the price of this one.

Old 12-10-2011, 10:41 AM
Senior Chief

The car is what it is, the current owner bought it used off the lot in '72, he is asking a little on the high side, still need to get the car out of its storage trailer to get a better evaluation of its condition and some pics.

1970 GTO Pepper Green 400 YS auto Factory A/C 56K orig miles
Old 12-11-2011, 02:16 PM

It's worth what you'll pay for it. Economy doesn't mean **** if you want it bad enough. It's one of less than 200, when will you get the chance to buy another one?

moderator is a glorified word for an unappreciated prick..................

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the
former." --Albert Einstein

"There is no such thing as a good tax."

"We contend that for a nation to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle."

- Winston Churchill
Old 12-12-2011, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GtoBrian View Post
The car is what it is, the current owner bought it used off the lot in '72, he is asking a little on the high side, still need to get the car out of its storage trailer to get a better evaluation of its condition and some pics.
I paid less than $6,000 for mine in 1998 without original engine and needing lots of metal work , but , it is the color i wanted without vinal top so i think i got a deal , just wish i could find out where the original engine is !!!!!!!!!!

Old 12-13-2011, 04:31 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Before you read my post, know that a '69 or '70 4-spd GP is my dream car and has been for years. I own a '70 auto GTO.

Maybe I'm just cheap, but I couldn't disagree more with most of you guys: "Economy doesn't mean **** if you want it bad enough. It's one of less than 200, when will you get the chance to buy another one?"

You will always get another chance to buy a car. There are millions of them. 1 of xxx doesn't mean anything until the car is complete/finished, if ever, and only if you're selling. Also, this is the time to BUY LOW--anyone who pays above average for anything today is just being impatient, if not a child or a damn fool.

Post some pictures, try to ACTUALLY GET real money from a member or on E-bay, not just "I'd pay. . ." and watch the tune change.

Tell you what. . .tell the seller you'll list it for him on E-bay. . .set his price as the reserve, and tell him if it doesn't sell--all the way to an actual pickup--you'll relist it for $500 less each time until you're willing to buy it yourself. THEN you'll see what these "rare project cars" are worth today. Meecum and other TV auctions are an attempt to (beyond selling commercials) drive the market up, and are about as real as American Chopper.