Ames Customer Satisfaction Forum Post a 'current' compliment, suggestion or issue with regard to an Ames service or product.

Old 06-18-2012, 04:21 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default -71 V-belt

For my -71 Lemans I bought a new repro V-belt, part # B-3660* made by Quanta listed for all V8 with power steering, when I received it it was 2" to long and would not fit, I did do a check on the original part # 391201 and that is listed for all -70-72 T/6 P.S 3/8 x 50"

My book says that for all -71 V8 use belt # 539130 wich is 3/8 x 48" which is also confirmed by the Acdelco parts catalog that states # 15480 (= 48") is the correct belt.

That is the same as Quantas belt # B-3664* which they list for all V8 without power steering.

Has the sales guys at PY never had any problems with this before ? just hard to belive that I am the only one since it would have been great to get a heads up before I did order it and get a chance to receive the correct lenght.

Old 07-27-2012, 07:22 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Just a short update, I did talk to my sales guy at PY who never had a problem with the belt and the answer was the same at Quanta, so if you had any problems with the lenght of the belt to your original car/engine please feel free to post your problem here or in the tread that I am linking to.

http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...highlight=belt

Old 07-31-2012, 11:10 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Every quanta alt belt i've purchased has been incorrect, and after i got one that fit, they turn to rubber bands when they get hot, and come off when you get on it, so i only use them for show and if i drive it i get one from napa that doesnt come off. When i had my black 71 the wife and i went for a country cruise with the air on and found a nice open road where i couldnt resist getting some rubber in 2nd gear and off goes the belt. I literally stretched the belt like a rubber band and put it back on, without any tools, after its happened before and had adjusted it tighter several times. Put a belt on it from napa, never happened again. Same with my silver 69 judge. P.S. and AC, never had a problem.

Old 08-01-2012, 10:33 AM
Pypes Staff - Tech

Hey guys... I'm the tech guy here and I have never heard this either. I have quanta belts on my concourse restored 69 GTO and have them on since I finished in 1996 and have not had a problem. One of the biggest issues I have seen is the pulley alignment is off a little bit and that'll throw the belts off. The Napa or any aftermarket belts are more forgiving because of the notches in the belt;.they are more flexible. Back in the day, when the Pontiac engines got replaced, the pulleys are either replaced or brought over from the original engine. The problem is that there are many people mixing & matching pulleys and when you do that, the alignment will be off. It might not be off by much, but it'll throw belts.

Old 01-02-2018, 05:53 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default 70 alt belt with NO A/C

I wish I had found this prior to ordering my belts. I just received my N335DA Quanta belt today for alt with NO A/C, it was too long. Apparently still an issue.

Old 01-29-2018, 01:27 PM
Senior Chief

Had the same issue with my 70 B-3650 was too long B-3656( alt. belt V8 w/PS) fits well but flipped over on me while on the way to a show this summer…its back to a notched belt for me.

Old 01-29-2018, 11:05 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Well it's pretty obvious that Quanta also needs to start selling pulleys.