Ames Customer Satisfaction Forum Post a 'current' compliment, suggestion or issue with regard to an Ames service or product.

Old 04-14-2013, 02:11 PM

Default 1979 TATA T-Top Headliner Board

I have two objectives in posting my comments here:
1) Provide product feedback that will hopefully be passed on to the supplier (PUI);
2) Warn others that the product as it is currently needs some work to install because it is not the best fit.
This board has been installed and looks perfect with one minor detail.

Pros: The new board was well packaged and arrived in good condition. It looked really good; the color was a little lighter than the original but close enough.
The material was a nice foam backed perforated vinyl and was wrapped over the board with plenty of overlap. The board was like black plastic (flexible but with some backbone).
Also, I considered the price very reasonable for a covered board.

Con Dimension: The overall dimension was good, but the T-Top cut outs were too small and the U channels (plastic trim around the T-Top opening) would not fit.
I would assume that when making a repro board that you would start with an original as a template. Here are the dimensions:

Measurement Original Reproduction Difference
Driver Side T-Top Opening Length (Front to Back) 29 7/8 Inches 29 1/4 Inches 5/8 Inch
Passenger Side T-Top Opening Length (Front to Back) 29 7/8 Inches 29 1/2 Inches 3/8 Inch
Center Distance Between T-Top Openings 8 7/8 Inches 9 5/16 Inches 7/16 Inch

The material had to be removed to install the U channels:

and

Con Visor Cutouts: The visor cutouts in the plastic board were small triangles that the visor spring hardware would not fit though. These had to be enlarged to about a 1” diameter hole and the material below cutout.

Con Notch: After everything was installed, I noticed that the new board had a notch in the front that the old one didn’t. This resulted in a no coverage area:

I was able to mostly fix this problem by dropping the board and pulling back the excess material so now only a slight cut shows and it is behind the visor.

Summary: I really liked this headliner but the supplier should have started with a more accurate template.

Hedman elite; Pypes 2.5; Borla XS; MSD 6A; Edelbrock intake; open scoop; Sniper Q-jet; Powermaster 150; 4 core radiator/Mark VIII fan; RobbMc mini starter; subframe connectors; solid body mounts; fiberglass rear springs; poly sway bar and link bushings; 81 master; D52’s; Blazer disks; 225/60 & 235/60 17's TrueContact's; relays for PW, PDL, lights; keyless entry
Old 05-29-2013, 12:46 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Just installed one .. same issues here...fine product overall..just needs a better template...especially for the price.

Old 05-30-2013, 09:02 PM

Default headliner

installed one few weeks ago. no problems. no fitment problems.bought about 9 mos ago.