Old 07-13-2013, 03:20 PM
Suspended

Question GM factory option claimed, true?

Found this clean looking GP Ad on Hemmings and it states the owner claimed this was available as a Special Factory ordered grill.

I've never seen one before and wanted to share it here. Enjoy. Appears to be a very clean GP.

http://www.hemmings.com/classifieds/...ml?printable=1

Old 07-13-2013, 03:45 PM
Ultimate Warrior

yessum, it factree!

only be got if yuz clicked off curb feelers two

Old 07-13-2013, 04:37 PM
Suspended

Wink

Thxs for the confirm OPH.

"Seville like grill" option also is close to a "Superfly" MoSheen look from that same Disco Era.

I don't remember ever seeing a standard non-pimp my ride GP w one.

Chalk this up to another "Learn something new Pontiac every day."

Old 07-14-2013, 02:05 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Kind of reminds me of the Rolls Royce looking grill people use to put on Volkswagen Beatles.

2006 GTO Phantom Black 6spd.
1972 Formula 455HO Ram Air.
1976 LE Trans Am 50th Anniversary Edition with T top.
1976 Formula 350.
1977 Grand Prix Model J 350.
1978 Trans am 400 Pontiac.
1979 Trans am 403 Olds.
1968 Olds 442.
1971 TR6.
Old 07-14-2013, 02:06 AM
Suspended

If you believe this grille is a factory piece I have some very nice swamp land in lower florida that I will let you have cheap as there just getting ready to fill it in for beach property & you'll make a killin' when it's done.

Old 07-14-2013, 08:18 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Original undisturbed metallic blue engine paint. Wierd not to see A/C in a GP.

1977 Trans Am, 400/M21 Black/Gold Bandit. 44K actual miles

2017 Sierra SLT 1500 Z71 4X4

2019 Canyon SLT Crew 4X4

Old 07-14-2013, 10:50 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by charles bledsoe View Post
Kind of reminds me of the Rolls Royce looking grill people use to put on Volkswagen Beatles.
Only those looked batter than this one!

Is it just me or does this "factory" custom grill shell only consist of the top and center bar and the actual grills visible are the real GP grills?

1979 Trans Am 400, 4-speed, 4 wheel disc.

View from the drivers seat racing down Atco Raceway- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GhYDMdOEC7A

Ride along in the other lane-http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mIzgpLtF_uw
Old 07-14-2013, 12:40 PM
Suspended

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by goatless View Post
Only those looked batter than this one!

Is it just me or does this "factory" custom grill shell only consist of the top and center bar and the actual grills visible are the real GP grills?
You are correct, and I believe that is how it was designed. Although the grill option is not for me, good to see it was seemingly designed not to cause damage to the car @ the mounting points. At least none that show in the provided photos.

Another ERA correct (owner added?) option is the CB radio inside. This Car Appears to be quite the creme puff in the photos.

And I prefer the non vinyl top clean exterior look also. Nice!

Old 07-14-2013, 03:26 PM
Senior Chief

What... no continental kit? Glad the grill cover comes off easy, seems to be a nice (but low optioned) model J.

Old 07-14-2013, 08:25 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77 Canamman View Post

Original undisturbed metallic blue engine paint. Wierd not to see A/C in a GP.

Wasn't it pretty common for northeast cars to not be air conditioned, back when a/c was an expensive option? At least that's what I've been told.

Old 07-14-2013, 08:36 PM
Suspended

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by 400 4spd. View Post
Wasn't it pretty common for northeast cars to not be air conditioned, back when a/c was an expensive option? At least that's what I've been told.
Yessir. That's how I remember it also.

Short summers, added weight, parisitic engine power draw, extra cost, etc. = no A/C on most northeast cars. Full loaded Luxor Boats like New Yorkers, Grand Villes, Caddillacc, seemed to all come w A/C as standard equipment.

Old 07-15-2013, 01:36 AM
Suspended

Thats the way it was around here for a very long time. I live in the southwestern part of MI. & there weren't very many cars around here with A/C unless it was a big ol' boat.

Old 07-15-2013, 06:30 PM
Senior Chief

Has anyone been able to determine what that hood ornament on that custom grille is supposed to be? I've enlarged the photo from the link and the only think I can think is that it's a deer head with large antlers and something in-between them. Not the original 76 G/P ornament or even the larger 77 ornament. Don't believe it's a Cadillac ornament either.

The add states that the vehicle has the original belts and hoses. Sure looks like aftermarket fan belts to me. Not sure about the actual heater hoses, however it sure looks like aftermarket hose clamps.

One last thing, where is the oil dipstick? I don't see it in either engine picture on the link. It should be on the passenger (right) side of the engine correct?

Overall a very nice G/P.

Old 07-15-2013, 06:39 PM
Suspended

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1969GiPper View Post
Has anyone been able to determine what that hood ornament on that custom grille is supposed to be? I've enlarged the photo from the link and the only think I can think is that it's a deer head with large antlers and something in-between them. Not the original 76 G/P ornament or even the larger 77 ornament. Don't believe it's a Cadillac ornament either.

The add states that the vehicle has the original belts and hoses. Sure looks like aftermarket fan belts to me. Not sure about the actual heater hoses, however it sure looks like aftermarket hose clamps.

One last thing, where is the oil dipstick? I don't see it in either engine picture on the link. It should be on the passenger (right) side of the engine correct?

Overall a very nice G/P.
After your Q I too zoomed the photo and I believe the ornament center is a "Bicentenial 1976" GM design like those used for Chevys Buicks etc, or a facsimile of one.

http://bobschevypartsblog.com/wp-con.../07/SOA_Ad.jpg

http://hooniverse.com/wp-content/upl...nnial-cars.jpg

Or perhaps a version like this Malibu "Olympic Version" ?
http://farm5.staticflickr.com/4106/4...a64998cc_z.jpg

Or perhaps something akin to these NOVA emblems that were all the rage in 1976
http://www.novaresource.org/ads/74soan.gif

Last edited by Alvin; 07-15-2013 at 06:44 PM.
Old 07-15-2013, 08:52 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1969GiPper View Post

Not sure why the seller would claim original belts and hoses when they have pretty clearly been replaced?

Dipstick is there. The Non-A/C dipstick is pretty short. I could see it in both pics of the engine.

1979 Trans Am 400, 4-speed, 4 wheel disc.

View from the drivers seat racing down Atco Raceway- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GhYDMdOEC7A

Ride along in the other lane-http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mIzgpLtF_uw
Old 07-15-2013, 09:24 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by 400 4spd. View Post
Canamman is right, rare to find a Gp with no air, especially this vintage. I also see no rear defroster and not sure what the control is where the very left dash vent would be, must have been special order car.

Last edited by GpFreak; 07-15-2013 at 09:34 PM.
Old 07-16-2013, 12:33 AM
Suspended

The hood ornament is of a Stag it was use on a lot of the aftermarket grille shells back in the 70's , I remember Ali,had one that was called a Stuczs Bear Cat conversion when I was the service mgr. at a dealership in Berrien Springs MI. where his house , one of his houses are he had a Buick Riv. that was all dressed up with mink in the trunk & similar items on the hood of his car to. It was one of the many companys that would take different cars & really pimp them out for customers who liked that kind of car.

Old 07-16-2013, 02:33 PM
Suspended

Thumbs up

Thanks for the info Rex!

Old 07-16-2013, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GpFreak View Post
Canamman is right, rare to find a Gp with no air, especially this vintage. I also see no rear defroster and not sure what the control is where the very left dash vent would be, must have been special order car.
That control has to do with Airflow. I've got one of these systems somewhere in storage.

Mike

moderator is a glorified word for an unappreciated prick..................

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the
former." --Albert Einstein

"There is no such thing as a good tax."

"We contend that for a nation to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle."

- Winston Churchill
Old 07-16-2013, 04:21 PM
Suspended

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike nixon View Post
That control has to do with Airflow. I've got one of these systems somewhere in storage.

Mike
Yup...have photos from 1973 - 77 A-Body non A/C dash with that driver side control on one of our computers...same as used on GPs IIRC.

1976 GP http://farm5.staticflickr.com/4054/5...c6bd7617_z.jpg

Drivers side view of non-A/C '76 GP http://www.classicautoair.com/images...xinterior2.jpg

Zoom into this image and see the script "Upper Ventilation" "Open Closed"
http://www.scottlewisonline.com/imag...hite_44k_3.JPG

Last edited by Alvin; 07-16-2013 at 04:47 PM.