Old 01-10-2016, 11:32 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default MY DADS 63 AVANTI

I had posted this in keith seymores thread in response to a post but didn't want to hijack his thread so I started this one. first is the post I made there. and then I was at my moms house and she mentioned she ran across some pictures that I would want to see. so I took pics of the pics with my cell phone. I realized that I have a severe addictive personality when it comes to cars and it is all my dads fault. the one picture he climbed on the roof of the house and took it. the one picture is of me when I was 12 standing beside the car after or right before my dad took me for a ride in it and did some tire blistering. anyway here is the post I made in keiths thread and some pics.

"funny story about mileage. my dad took a 63 Avanti on trade for building a new home for a couple back in 1966 (I was almost 5 years old) when it only had around 10k miles on it. he as I loved that car and drove it to Studebaker club meetings and various car shows over the years and every chance I could I would talk him into taking it for a drive and smoking the tires off. (my dad loved to burn rubber in all of his cars). he always told me to enjoy this car because he would park it forever when it got close to 50k and never drive it again. well it his the 49 k mark when I was in high school and he stopped driving it much as he was rationing the miles put on it. when I graduated high school it had 49,8xx on it and he basically said it was parked for good. well about a month into that summer one of my good friends was getting married and my parents were out of town for a week so one of my best friends and I decide we will take the Avanti out for a spin and drive it to the wedding. no biggy we wont hit the 50k mark. well like a total idiot and impressing the girls we become clueless that we are racking up miles and when I pull it back in the garage I realize it had about 20 something miles over the 50k mark. I went into panic mode and then just covered it back up and thought he will never notice. well that worked for a few months and when he figured it out he blew a gasket. he never drove it again for several years. he would just back it out of the garage and start it let it run for a while and pull it back in and cover it up. well over time, he sold off all of his classics, muscle cars and even his beloved mustangs but the Avanti still sits as it was the last time it was moved 30 years ago. dad is long gone but the memories will never fade. sometimes I just sit in the car and remember the times as a kid dad smoking the tires and power sliding it around corners and making 100+ mph runs on the highway. I am sure some of you guys have the similar stories and memories. especially you keith with the gto."
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	63 avanti dads car pic taken from roof of house.jpg
Views:	192
Size:	36.3 KB
ID:	417867   Click image for larger version

Name:	63 avanti dads car left front.jpg
Views:	214
Size:	32.6 KB
ID:	417870  

Old 01-10-2016, 11:34 PM
Ultimate Warrior

more pics
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	63 avanti dads car right rear.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	45.5 KB
ID:	417874   Click image for larger version

Name:	63 avanti dads car interior.jpg
Views:	181
Size:	37.7 KB
ID:	417875  

Old 01-10-2016, 11:35 PM
Ultimate Warrior

last one
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	gary 12 years old by dads avanti.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	36.8 KB
ID:	417876  

Old 01-10-2016, 11:40 PM
Ultimate Warrior

well there is a couple more, lmao this is me at 18 years old getting ready to go to a friends wedding right after the one that I took the Avanti out to. this time I took my corvette which matched my tux.

the other one is a shot out of my senior year yearbook. the actual picture was a lot better, there was a girl who I couldn't stand that was always getting me in trouble that walked behind my car and I lit it up and what they cut out was her falling down with her legs in mid air and giving everyone a great shot of her panties. those were the good ole days.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	gary 1979 by corvette.jpg
Views:	190
Size:	40.1 KB
ID:	417879   Click image for larger version

Name:	gary 76 ta high school.jpg
Views:	467
Size:	37.9 KB
ID:	417880  

Old 01-10-2016, 11:51 PM
Ultimate Warrior

this pic is a drawing I did when I was in high school in the back cover of an English book. I was going to leave it for everyone in the future to enjoy but changed my mind an ripped the back cover off of the book. ( which I had to pay for). I still have it.

then fast forward 16 years this is at the indian uprising in Kansas when I owned the ta vert.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	gary ta drawing high school.jpg
Views:	182
Size:	36.4 KB
ID:	417882   Click image for larger version

Name:	gary w his 69 ta convert oct 95.jpg
Views:	202
Size:	59.6 KB
ID:	417883  

Old 01-10-2016, 11:55 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Christmas 1971 this set had the 69 ta which was pink with blue stripes and a mach 1. my brother laughed at me because he said trans ams were for sissys and that fit me real good. made me so mad that I put it up and never played with it. still have it and the track.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	gary xmas 1971 with sizzlers set.jpg
Views:	184
Size:	34.7 KB
ID:	417884  

Old 01-11-2016, 08:03 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Was that your 76 in the yearbook?

And go racin' in the street.

Bruce Springsteen - Racing In The Street - 1978
Old 01-11-2016, 07:29 PM
Ultimate Warrior

yes

Old 01-13-2016, 09:43 AM
Ultimate Warrior

You hardly ever see a Studebaker Avantis any more. My dad loved Studebakers and Hudson Hornets. I drove a 63 Lark around 1977 - 1978 while in college.

There was a white Avanti that sat outside of my dad's shop for awhile in the mid-70s. Dad alternated between operating his own garage and working as a maintenance man for large companies. In 1975, he worked as the maintenance man for a company that manufactured industrial HVAC systems for hospitals and airports, etc. One of his bosses bought an Avanti that was pretty tired, and he wanted dad to get it ready for the road. The motor smoked pretty badly and had issues that required a rebuild, but the guy didn't want to spend the money. The car could have been bought at the time. The economy was pretty crappy and inflation was high, so I wasn't able to talk dad into buying the car. He said the guy wanted too much for it.

It disappeared while I was off at college, and I have no idea whatever happened to it. The company went out of business in 1982.

Old 01-13-2016, 10:22 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by muscle_collector View Post
I had posted this in keith seymores thread in response to a post but didn't want to hijack his thread so I started this one.
Thank you (for not hijacking, AND for posting all this here!).

K

'74 Chevelle - original owner, 9.85 @ 136 mph besthttp://www.superchevy.com/features/s...hevy-chevelle/
My Pontiac Story: http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=560524
"Intro from an old Assembly Plant Guy":http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=342926
Old 01-14-2016, 12:22 AM
Ultimate Warrior

You're especially lucky your dad kept something interesting, and kept it in good shape. My dad sold off all of his Hudsons probably 15 years ago.

Old 01-14-2016, 11:57 PM
Ultimate Warrior

especially since he is gone. it is nice to look at it and remember a lot of good times.

Old 01-21-2016, 10:41 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by muscle_collector View Post
Christmas 1971 this set had the 69 ta which was pink with blue stripes and a mach 1. my brother laughed at me because he said trans ams were for sissys and that fit me real good. made me so mad that I put it up and never played with it. still have it and the track.
I had a sizzlers fat track too..

1973 Formula SD455 - #'s auto orig paint
1972 Trans Am - 4 speed orig paint
1974 Formula 400 - Ram Air automatic
1966 2+2 convertible - 421 4bbl automatic
1967 Grand Prix - 4 speed orig paint
1967 GTO - 4 speed orig paint 35k orig miles