Old 08-04-2010, 03:23 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default '65 Rally Gauge Wiring

I have searched this forum but can't come up with the definitve answer so I'll post the question; I am helping a buddy completely rewire his '65 GTO with rally gauges. He bought complete harnesses from M&H. My question regards the "auxilliary" rally gauge harness and what you do with the idiot light wires. If you run the redundant rally gauge wiring for oil pressure and water temp, do you just tape back the wires for the idiot light switches? How did the plants do this? Car is a Pontiac-plant built car if it matters. Thanks in advance!

Old 08-04-2010, 03:40 PM
Ultimate Warrior

There should be instructions with the new harnesses. I think all you do is tape the idiot light wires up.
You can always call M&H tech support and they will know.

Old 08-04-2010, 04:05 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I would definitely call M & H before putting power to anything. They will tell you the answer.

Old 08-05-2010, 01:22 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Thanks guys, and yes M&H actually supplied very clear instructions with the rally gauge harness (easier to read schematic than the service manual!) I think we can install it OK so everything will work.
My real question is more appearance related;
How did the factory install the rally guage harness with regard to the non rally gauge sender wires? Did they just leave them hanging there unused, or were they taped back so they were not visible?

Old 08-05-2010, 11:32 AM
Ultimate Warrior

The factory wiring harnesses are different, there are no "extra" wires in factory units.

Old 08-05-2010, 01:34 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOB VIDAN View Post
The factory wiring harnesses are different, there are no "extra" wires in factory units.
I agree.

They would have had one harness "with" the rally gage content, and a separate part number "without". They would not have wanted to give away the additional content (unless a business case was run and determined it was favorable in this particular case). Also - usually the Electrical engineers do not want exposed connectors due to corrosion concerns.

I see that harnesses are called out on the build sheet. I would venture to say if you looked at one that was build with rally cluster and one without, it would show different broadcast codes in the "IP" box.

K

'74 Chevelle - original owner, 9.85 @ 136 mph besthttp://www.superchevy.com/features/s...hevy-chevelle/
My Pontiac Story: http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=560524
"Intro from an old Assembly Plant Guy":http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=342926

Last edited by Keith Seymore; 08-05-2010 at 01:42 PM.