The Body Shop TECH General questions that don't fit in any other forum

Old 07-29-2001, 10:36 PM
Ultimate Warrior

That is the question men! There is a chemical dipping business about 45 miles away I just found out. Largest on the East Coast so they say. Complete body dipping. I have been told (by fellow Pontiac novices) that the chemical runs out of every nook and cranny and the paint may be damaged when applied. Man you hear so much when you ask! Media blasting is another option. Whats the pros and cons? The 70 HT GTO body has a few dents that will be fixed. Otherwise solid and muddy.
I want to do the body and the frame and all the components for steering/susp that I will reuse.
What kind of primer can I apply after the dip is finished? Should I get all the nooks and crannies coated using a flex tube spray nozzle? Can this stay on for a few months until ready for the assembly?
Thanks...Jeff

Old 07-29-2001, 10:36 PM
Ultimate Warrior

That is the question men! There is a chemical dipping business about 45 miles away I just found out. Largest on the East Coast so they say. Complete body dipping. I have been told (by fellow Pontiac novices) that the chemical runs out of every nook and cranny and the paint may be damaged when applied. Man you hear so much when you ask! Media blasting is another option. Whats the pros and cons? The 70 HT GTO body has a few dents that will be fixed. Otherwise solid and muddy.
I want to do the body and the frame and all the components for steering/susp that I will reuse.
What kind of primer can I apply after the dip is finished? Should I get all the nooks and crannies coated using a flex tube spray nozzle? Can this stay on for a few months until ready for the assembly?
Thanks...Jeff

Old 07-30-2001, 06:05 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Dipping a car will clean everything out ......however there's a lot of bare metal that you can't get paint on . I would media blast the body and sand blast the frame . Use a self etching primer first on the bare metal . Then apply an epoxy primer . This will last a long time while you are working on the car .