The Body Shop TECH General questions that don't fit in any other forum

Old 06-10-2001, 10:33 AM
Ultimate Warrior

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>I've had no luck finding an undamaged lower front valance for my '74 TA. Does anyone know if cracks or breaks such as this (pic) can be repaired?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Yeah Ross, you just need to go to you local paint and body store. Ask for the plastic repair kit and follow the instructions.
When you make a repair to plastic (and fiberglass) you need to v notch the parts so the repair material has a place to really "bite" into.
What I'll do is repair one side, then flip it over and v notch and repair the other side- it makes a super strong joint.
Some other tips are using a reinforcing strip on the back of the panel, and slathering the hole repair-reinforcing strip and all- in a coat of the repair adhesive. This will bond the strip into the panel and give it a strong tie-in to the rest of the panel.
If the piece is broken off (like yours), you can also drill a hole in the pieces and use a small rod to pin them together while the repair adhesive dries.
Oh yeah- give this guy a call-
John Trujillo 559-675-3467, tell him John from Fresno told you about a 74 front end he was selling.

[This message has been edited by JC455 (edited 06-10-2001).]

Old 06-10-2001, 10:33 AM
Ultimate Warrior

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>I've had no luck finding an undamaged lower front valance for my '74 TA. Does anyone know if cracks or breaks such as this (pic) can be repaired?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Yeah Ross, you just need to go to you local paint and body store. Ask for the plastic repair kit and follow the instructions.
When you make a repair to plastic (and fiberglass) you need to v notch the parts so the repair material has a place to really "bite" into.
What I'll do is repair one side, then flip it over and v notch and repair the other side- it makes a super strong joint.
Some other tips are using a reinforcing strip on the back of the panel, and slathering the hole repair-reinforcing strip and all- in a coat of the repair adhesive. This will bond the strip into the panel and give it a strong tie-in to the rest of the panel.
If the piece is broken off (like yours), you can also drill a hole in the pieces and use a small rod to pin them together while the repair adhesive dries.
Oh yeah- give this guy a call-
John Trujillo 559-675-3467, tell him John from Fresno told you about a 74 front end he was selling.

[This message has been edited by JC455 (edited 06-10-2001).]

Old 06-10-2001, 01:54 PM

Thanks!!!

71 "In Violet" 340 Duster