Industry Stuff new repro's, updates, other info.

Old 11-06-2008, 12:17 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Location: Pontiac Heaven in the Arizona desert & above the White mountains in the cool country of eastern Az
Default potential bigbang for the buck for PY

Here is something you could sell a lot of over the years. It fits just about every car too!

We all know the factory a/c systems do not blow as hard as we like.

How about a high capacity/ intense a/c heater blower motor? Some type of better winding or better fan blade cage.
It couldn't be too hard to do. You could make a lot of money on this. I only want 5% for my idea

Hosting-
23rd annual Pontiac Heaven weekend- Phoenix pending due to covid
Pontiac Heaven Museum in process
Phil 2:11
Old 05-18-2009, 10:03 PM
Administrator

Steve, I just saw this. I agree that would be a good product. I'm concerned it might be hard to put into production. The motor available is made by a rather large US mfg. Trying to get them to run something special could be a prohibitive volume. I am going to check it out.

Old 06-02-2009, 12:22 PM
Senior Chief

Great idea Steve. I wonder if a elec motor shop could do something with it?

Old 06-04-2009, 07:18 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Them FORD Electric Fan motors can be adapted to run the Blower motor function in our old GMS. Just make the roundy-round metal interface plate & be sure to set the squirrel-cage fan to the right depth for fit.

I use 69-72 Blower motors in the 68 GTOs...better faster.

Old 07-28-2009, 11:20 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Just use an old 6 volt blower motor. LOL

Old 07-28-2009, 11:54 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I agree, Steve. I just had this same thought yesterday.

K

'74 Chevelle - original owner, 9.85 @ 136 mph besthttp://www.superchevy.com/features/s...hevy-chevelle/
My Pontiac Story: http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=560524
"Intro from an old Assembly Plant Guy":http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=342926
Old 07-28-2009, 10:24 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Fan motor power = Currrent*Voltage

Voltage is limited by battery charge so the current will go up for a more powerfull fan motor. I'm not sure how much extra current carrying capacity that the OEM wiring and relays will take before they heat up and melt or if the OEM generator/alternators will keep up. I support the better blower idea just trying to think ahead to what else it might effect.

Old 02-04-2013, 10:14 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Thumbs up

With all the amps for the new sound systems now days i dont think a fan blower will hurt anything. Good idi Steve.

Old 06-05-2013, 04:25 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Somebody please figure out how to modify the new GMC truck blowers! those things definitely crank! And were are only talking a 25 amp fuse max

Old 06-06-2013, 01:08 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

How much of this is a function of the motor, and how much is a function of the squirrel cage fan? Is it possible to make a fan blade that would push more air with the existing motors?

65 Catalina Safari 4DSW
Old 06-06-2013, 01:23 PM
Ultimate Warrior

New electric motors these days draw less amps and make more power than ever before. Recently replaced some power window motors, they were smaller, more powerful and draw less amps. Simply better brush, winding, etc technology.

I think a good portion of poor vent speed is in the sealing of the duct work and not so much the blower motor IMO. All my cars, from '67 to '77 have very good vent speed IMO. The Squirrel Cage fan design is still alive and strong, it's a very good design, I'm also not sure what more you can do with it other than increase fan speed.

** I also wonder how many people have their air inlets plugged up with leaves and junk, as well as partially or non-functioning inlet valves that restrict air flow into the ventilation system. My Evap box was nearly half full with leaves (and the evap core was further covered with thick dust bunnies) when I pulled it apart to get the A/C in working order. And I dug about 3" of leaves and pine needles out behind the air inlet on the passenger kick panel. The vent speed picked up noticably when I put it all back together.

The Silver Buick- '77 Skylark coupe w/455, SPX, MegaSquirt 3 & TKO-600 (Drag Week 2011, 2012 & 2015!)

1969 Firebird with a turbo'd Pontiac L6 controlled by a MegaSquirt 3 and backed with a microsquirt controlled 4L60e and 4.56 gears! (Drag Week 2018!)
Old 06-06-2013, 02:06 PM
Ultimate Warrior

x2. New motors are wound with more turns and more poles to create a faster rpm with less effort. if someone could remove the motor from a late model vehicle housing and drop it into a repro housing, with the proper machining for motor bearings, we would have one heck of a hvac system. The repros are most likely copies of the original design instead of incorporating additional tech put into new stuff. A motor rewind shop could perhaps create this tornado blower!

Old 06-06-2013, 02:38 PM
Ultimate Warrior

same experience here as Thesilverbuick has described

Old 06-12-2013, 09:04 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I rebuilt the complete system in my '67 GTO, and scrubbed out every part of the system and sealed every joint. Fan output is OK, but I'd get in line and pay extra for a high capacity blower unit.

Old 06-13-2013, 07:57 AM
Pypes Staff - Tech

Mick, I understand your request for the hi capacity blower motor, but if you are willing to pay for a better blowing motor, I guess you are willing to upgrade all of your duct work to a larger diameter, right..? Think of a central air unit in a house... the blower motor can only move a certain amount of air thru the duct work. If you upgrade the blower to a larger motor or squirrel cage and not upgrade the duct work, you will actually put a strain on the motor. I had to replace my AC/heater unit in my house several years ago and doing research on the blower motors, you find out what you can and can not do... Mike

Old 06-13-2013, 03:26 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I totally agree with sizing central air units for the home.

What I see with our Pontiac's is that the hose size is very generous and the flapper doors are huge compared to the new Japanese luxury cars. The later cars put out a huge amount of air through smaller ducts, and I'm thinking that our cars could still benefit with a higher CFM fan unit without over heating.

Old 06-14-2013, 01:30 AM
Suspended

Looking at some of the newer blower motors in some of the new cars & trucks in the junk yards I would think that there are some that would fit right in place of our motors with just a bit of redrilling of the hole where the screws that hold them in & then they should go right in & then would run faster just because the blowers run faster by design. Also is some of the speed of our blower slowed down because of the switch itself. Or possibly by the resistor that is mounted in the heater box?

Old 06-14-2013, 02:15 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Pontiac did a good job on the wiring for the fan high speed. A fused separate wire comes off the alternator, through a very heavy duty relay, and directly to the fan motor. It is only the lower speeds that get their power through the interior switch and the resistor panel. A few years ago I did a very low-tech test and ran a wire directly from the battery to the blower motor while it was running on high through the relay, and the motor didn't pick up any speed that I could notice.

Old 06-14-2013, 07:09 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Tis true. For high fan, all of the reesistors are bypassed just as they are today. Hence the reason why you only have high fan when the resistor bank dies. I thought the same thing in regards to a late model blower, why not just drill new holes, a little ring of one sided foam tape to seal it in the duct and done. Well, make sure you get a plug from a junk yard. Haha I think we are on to something!

My wife says she'd llike my car a lot more if it wasn't mine.

64 Grand Prix 389 .030, 1.65 Scorpion Rollers, Tripower, RARE Long Branch, Custom Stainless Exhaust and mufflers, 3.90 posi 200-4R. 068 cam.
Old 06-15-2013, 02:57 AM
Suspended

Yes , if you add another path for the fan resistor to go through without any resistance coil you will have a 4 speed fan as the newer cars have & it should run about 25% faster then it does now on the high speed setting as you will have no resistance that to slow it down.