Southwest Arizona | New Mexico | Oklahoma | Texas

Old 03-23-2013, 11:05 AM
Ultimate Warrior

The new 303 is sweet, unfortunately not an option for me when I have to hit the East and South ends of Phoenix for Firebird. They don't have the North East section of the 303 completed. Only the North and West section that took me to Speedworld.

Old 03-23-2013, 04:55 PM
Ultimate Warrior

If you are driving from CA, you can save a lot of time by going on the 8 instead of the 10. When you get to Gila Bend, drive just past the airport and there will be a sign that says Maricopa RD, That use to be a dirt road, it's paved now and runs right along the rail road tracks. It shaves off a lot of miles and you will come out close to where Firebird is at.

Old 03-23-2013, 05:10 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Location: Pontiac Heaven in the Arizona desert & above the White mountains in the cool country of eastern Az

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formulajones View Post
Yeah, I'm aware of the Indian Reservation land and the lease. It's the same thing that happened to the Beeline Dragstrip in the late 70's If anyone even remembers that. They say history repeats itself. Now that Speedworld is gone (which started around 61 if I remember right) We've now lost the only 2 dragstrips that actually had nostalgia history (Firebird was opened in the 80's long after the good times of dragracing) But I digress

The lease isn't being rehonored because of the lack of renovations and upkeep that is said to be Charlie's problem (the lessee). The Native Americans want the place cleaned up understandably. My hesitation comes from talks of whether the Native Americans were even going to keep the place open after March while possible renovations took place or whether they would even attempt to run it themselves at all. It's been on going for months. But I didn't mean to drag all that into the conversation. I truely hope it stays open and becomes a top notch facility.

Anyway, yeah you guys coming from Cali don't have much issue with the relocation since you'll probably just shoot straight accross the I-10 in no time.

Myself, I come down from the North (Prescott) and the 303 loop took me around Pheonix in no time flat and dumped me off just a few miles from Speedworld. Now I have to travel straight through town on the heavily traveled 101 and 202.
Firebird is only another 20-25 mile extra distance, but the added time is 45 minutes or more depending on traffic unfortunately.
Yes, I remember Beeline very well. I ran my Pontiacs there the last 5 or so years it was open.

This pic is waiting to get in at Beeline ( note the sign in the background ) in 1977 pulling my 'glass tilted '69 GTO with my '72 GTO 455HO as a Senior in highschool. Beelines situation was quite different as that tribe had no interest in running the race track and wanted it shut down. IMO, that was a major income mistake but, that is their problem.
As for Firebird, Mick is correct, the Gila River Indian Nation has no desire to shut down Firebird raceway, they just wish to no longer have the current management ( Charlie Allen ), running it.
Firebird will stay open and under new management along with its own website.
I hope this answers your questions with this concern.

Main event sponsors-

Network Automotive Service Centers- 15 year sponsor
Glenn's Garage- 15 year sponsor
Too Hotties Mens hair cuts
WW Williams
Kauffman Racing
AllPontiac.com
Quick Guns
Todd Harding & Son auto Swap meets- New Sponsor!

co sponsors-

Butler Performance
The Thompsons
Ames Performance
Space Age Auto Paint Store
Reliable Diesel
National Parts Depot- new sponsor!
Cactus GTOs ( GTO AA)
AZ Chapt 29 POCI
Alpha Omega Surveying - returning sponsor!

Hosting-
23rd annual Pontiac Heaven weekend- Phoenix pending due to covid
Pontiac Heaven Museum in process
Phil 2:11

Last edited by Steve Barcak; 03-23-2013 at 05:17 PM.
Old 03-23-2013, 05:15 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Location: Pontiac Heaven in the Arizona desert & above the White mountains in the cool country of eastern Az

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken K View Post
If you are driving from CA, you can save a lot of time by going on the 8 instead of the 10. When you get to Gila Bend, drive just past the airport and there will be a sign that says Maricopa RD, That use to be a dirt road, it's paved now and runs right along the rail road tracks. It shaves off a lot of miles and you will come out close to where Firebird is at.
Going this way also takes you past the main Pontiac Heaven yard location too. It could be a better way from the San Diego area but, I think I-10 is better for the La and northern Ca attendees. If you come on Friday, try to plan around rush hour if you can. If you can make the tech sessions which start at 1pm, you will not have any traffic issues.

There is much to be done in planning for our new location and dates but, will get it done. The schedule has been moved up an hour or so to help compensate for the higher expected temps.

We are looking forward to running another Pontiac Heaven weekend and seeing all our regular friends as well as making new ones.
There will be track time Friday eve, Saturday, Saturday eve and Sunday.

Thanks much to all my sponsors who support Pontiac Heaven events. I ask you to support them!

Main event sponsors-

WW Williams
Kauffman Racing
AllPontiac.com
Quick Guns

co sponsors-

Butler Performance
The Thompsons
Ames Performance
Reliable Diesel
Cactus GTOs ( GTO AA)
AZ Chapt 29 POCI

Hosting-
Old 03-23-2013, 05:32 PM
Ultimate Warrior

If they are driving from LA, the best way is to take the 10 to Indio and then get off on the expressway. There will be a sign that says desert cities. It cuts kitty corner over to the 8. From LA it should about 8 hours to Firebird, it could take more depending on traffic. Once you get past Indio there is not much to slow you down.

Old 03-23-2013, 05:40 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Barcak View Post
Yes, I remember Beeline very well. I ran my Pontiacs there the last 5 or so years it was open.

This pic is waiting to get in at Beeline ( note the sign in the background ) in 1977 pulling my 'glass tilted '69 GTO with my '72 GTO 455HO as a Senior in highschool. Beelines situation was quite different as that tribe had no interest in running the race track and wanted it shut down. IMO, that was a major income mistake but, that is their problem.
As for Firebird, Mick is correct, the Gila River Indian Nation has no desire to shut down Firebird raceway, they just wish to no longer have the current management ( Charlie Allen ), running it.
Firebird will stay open and under new management along with its own website.
I hope this answers your questions with this concern.

Main event sponsors-

WW Williams
Kauffman Racing
AllPontiac.com
Quick Guns

co sponsors-

Butler Performance
The Thompsons
Ames Performance
Reliable Diesel
Cactus GTOs ( GTO AA)
AZ Chapt 29 POCI
Yes Steve that clears it up, thankyou. I hadn't heard whether they had new management, or whether they were going to try and keep things running during new renovations etc..or just close it all together for several months while things got ironed out. All I knew for sure is that Bonderaunt was going to keep running his road course/driving school.

I'll make plans to be there.

Love the pic too

Old 03-28-2013, 06:32 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Arrow Roll call...

So, who's going .

'65 Buick Sport Wagon Custom, 340, T350, 3:23
'66 GTO Post/468, 700R4, 3.31 (Mike's as of 9-16)
'68 Grand Prix/455, dual AFBs, T400, 2:93 posi (sold)
'72 TA tribute/461, T400, 3.08, (Russ's as of 9-16)
'97 Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder Turbo, Konis, 5 speed
'09 Torrent GXP, nav, Sun & Sound pkg., Bilsteins
Old 03-29-2013, 02:32 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I'm going, and my son Mark is going. Although yesterday we found about 2 gallons of coolant in the oil pan of his Firebird. It's the old bad luck, good luck thing. Terrible that Speedworld closed, but fortunate that we will have time to repair his engine because of the date change.

Old 03-29-2013, 08:39 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelspin View Post
So, who's going .
Hi Les. We're trying to make it, but is anyone else concerned about the condition Charlie will leave the track? It sounds like he plans to really do some damage to the track surface for his last couple of events.

Pontiac-Powered Funny Car:
400 block, Littlefield 8-71 blower, Enderle injection,
custom blower intake, three-disc glide clutch, three-speed Lenco

Old 03-29-2013, 10:22 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Ellen and I will be there with the '60 Catalina project. I hope to have it painted by then, but probably won't get it sanded and buffed out. We'll see. We'll also be selling at the swap meet. No race car this year, but wait 'til next year.

Jim

****'63 Tempest, 475" IAII, Wenzler Super Chief heads, converted to blown alcohol, Birdcatcher, Littlefield 10-71 high helix. Best pass to date: 7.67 @ 181.59 (1/4 mi.), 4.95 @ 143.67 (1/8 mi.), 1.18 (60 ft)

7.75 @ 178 pass:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iez3...ature=youtu.be

First seven second pass(7.98): https://wwwoutube.com/watch?v=DK17...ature=youtu.be

Thanks to Paul Carter @ Koerner Racing Engines

Old 03-29-2013, 12:23 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The Wangers Race Team will be there with the GeeTO Tiger and the Ponte Carlo.

For GTO Celebration items click the tile coaster.
Old 03-29-2013, 02:39 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I will be there.

Old 03-30-2013, 04:17 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Glad to know we'll see some of our 'regulars'! 5 weeks away, new flyers are printed and will be distributed soon.
The last few days I have had some nice conversations with Firebirds newly appointed track manager. He is coming out from Ohio and I will be meeting with him next week.
Lots of changes for this year with new locations, dates and additions.
Looking forward to seeing everyone.

Still working on details, there is so much to do but, will get it done.

Steve

Hosting-
Old 03-31-2013, 05:04 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Would you be able to post an update of the track surface conditions?

Old 03-31-2013, 08:28 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by vin63 View Post
Would you be able to post an update of the track surface conditions?
Vince, I do my best to accomodate you and everyone else but, not sure what your concerns are. ? Just 4 weeks back this same track ran a NHRA national event with 300mph cars. Why would you be concerned? something I do not know about?

The new manager takes over the track one week from today and I meet with him in person prior to that. I'll be working on event details from now until all is done and doing my best to make this 2013 weekend the best yet.

Hosting-
Old 03-31-2013, 09:43 PM
Ultimate Warrior

[quote=Steve Barcak;4892164....... Just 4 weeks back this same track ran a NHRA national event with 300mph cars. Why would you be concerned?...... [/quote]

I believe NHRA does their own track prep for national events--bring their own crew, equipment, etc. In years past, there have been concerns about track prep at Firebird (mine among them), so it's certainly worth bringing up and emphasizing with the new track manager when you meet with him .

Jim

****'63 Tempest, 475" IAII, Wenzler Super Chief heads, converted to blown alcohol, Birdcatcher, Littlefield 10-71 high helix. Best pass to date: 7.67 @ 181.59 (1/4 mi.), 4.95 @ 143.67 (1/8 mi.), 1.18 (60 ft)

7.75 @ 178 pass:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iez3...ature=youtu.be

First seven second pass(7.98): https://wwwoutube.com/watch?v=DK17...ature=youtu.be

Thanks to Paul Carter @ Koerner Racing Engines

Old 03-31-2013, 10:25 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by twooldgoats View Post
I believe NHRA does their own track prep for national events--bring their own crew, equipment, etc. In years past, there have been concerns about track prep at Firebird (mine among them), so it's certainly worth bringing up and emphasizing with the new track manager when you meet with him .

Jim

OK, if the concern is track prep and not the track itself, that is different. We'll see which Vince is referring to.

Remember- the track will be under new management so , things the former did, may not apply. Of course, I will make sure the track is in the best shape possible. I never want to see anyone hurt.

Hosting-
Old 03-31-2013, 10:34 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The Saturday night and Sunday portions of Pontiac Heaven weekend is the biggest part. It is the 11th annual Nostalgic Show & GO! and welcomes all 1981 and older brands to take on the Pontiacs! Don't miss it and tell you friends to attend.

Hosting-
Old 03-31-2013, 10:39 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Barcak View Post
Vince, I do my best to accomodate you and everyone else but, not sure what your concerns are. ? Just 4 weeks back this same track ran a NHRA national event with 300mph cars. Why would you be concerned? something I do not know about?

The new manager takes over the track one week from today and I meet with him in person prior to that. I'll be working on event details from now until all is done and doing my best to make this 2013 weekend the best yet.

There is really no comparison to NHRA National event prepped tracks since NHRA does their own prep, and four weeks from a National Event is an eternity. And, this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t-ctl...layer_embedded

So, yeah, as a person who has raced divisional events there in the past, when the track prep was often mediocre at best, and with Charlie's last event this weekend, I was just inquiring about the track surface since I think others would be interested, as well. If you don't feel it's necessary, no worries...I was just asking since you mentioned you would be meeting with the new managers out there.

Old 04-01-2013, 02:54 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I'll be there.

Out of curiosity, does the newly managed track have a new name or website? I was hoping to hit an open "run whatya brung" night before PH and work out some bugs. I can't find a website or schedule other than the old one "...closing forever" site.