Industry Stuff new repro's, updates, other info.

View Poll Results: How important is SEEING stock status when you place an online order through PY?
Very Important. I need an immediate stock quote 111 68.94%
Somewhat Important. I'd like to get a notification of what is in stock that day. 37 22.98%
It would be nice, but I could do without it. 7 4.35%
I could care less. 6 3.73%
Voters: 161. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-18-2014, 03:45 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Maybe just tag the items backordered and give a estimated delivery date.

Old 04-19-2014, 01:08 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPKind View Post
Anyway, keep of the good work, and we'll keep buying the parts. BTW, I agree that the online buying site looks very outdated and needs a total makeover, so if the customer can see if it's in stock or not, that would help a lot.
Currently our shopping cart already shows you stock status. Our problem is that the new shopping cart is very difficult to integrate with our accounting system that shows you the stock availability. So while our shopping cart is fairly basic, we really don't see the urgent need to have it be 'prettier'. Especially when it may cause us to not show the stock status. Also, the current system allows you to look at your complete purchase history and check ship dates and backorder status's. We always felt it was a worthy trade-off. No offense to our competitors but I can't stand browsing Year One's and Ames shopping carts. They are slow and you never find what you want. They have way less pictures and diagrams and the technical information supplied is not very good.

I think sometimes you guys look at sites like Summit racing and other giants. A small Pontiac company is just not going to be able to compete with a web site like that. I alos think sometimes you get use to working with one system and then are uncomfortable when you have to learn something new.

Old 04-19-2014, 01:11 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohrt View Post
Maybe just tag the items backordered and give a estimated delivery date.
We tag the backorder for our customers to track status but giving estimated delivery dates is only available from some of the giant internet retailers. And their estimates are just that, estimates. Suppliers dictate when a backorder is going to be available again and they all have varied degrees of competence.

just to restate to everyone, Our current order system shows whether an item is in stock and always has.

Old 04-20-2014, 01:27 PM
Senior Chief

I would be more interested in knowing how the part fits, customer comments and how to correct?

Gregg

Old 04-20-2014, 02:04 PM
Ultimate Warrior

X2 with zephyrracer says as per customer comments on parts that have been bought.
I know for a fact that I would have never bought [not from PY] a set of the chrome moldings for the vent area at the lower front grill area. [1969 GTO]
The other venders book said fit great,they were junk,would not fit no way,I bent 1 trying to fit and ended up throwing them in the trash.
Customer views or comments or reviews would be nice.

Old 04-21-2014, 08:09 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Stock availability is very important. Customer reviews are second on the list.

Old 04-21-2014, 08:40 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I think another item worth consideration is Performance Years participation on Ebay, or the lack thereof. I make ~75% of my purchases through Ebay because they have a friendly user interface, robust search feature, and ultra easy Paypal checkout. Ames, Inline, Parts Place and others have a growing Ebay presence which seems to lend credence to the cost/benefit being favorable.

Also, when generically searching for parts online using Google or other search engines, Classic, Ames, Ecklers and others frequently come up in response to my search, but I don't believe PY has ever come up. It might be financially beneficial for PY to undertake efforts to improve their ranking in search responses.

Good luck, we all want to see PY succeed and prosper.

Old 04-21-2014, 11:27 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bentwheelbob View Post
I think another item worth consideration is Performance Years participation on Ebay, or the lack thereof. I make ~75% of my purchases through Ebay because they have a friendly user interface, robust search feature, and ultra easy Paypal checkout. Ames, Inline, Parts Place and others have a growing Ebay presence which seems to lend credence to the cost/benefit being favorable.

Also, when generically searching for parts online using Google or other search engines, Classic, Ames, Ecklers and others frequently come up in response to my search, but I don't believe PY has ever come up. It might be financially beneficial for PY to undertake efforts to improve their ranking in search responses.

We do have an ebay presence. The Store is under CCASS1. We have been only placing our own reproductions on ebay, but just started expanding to more items.

If only Ebay didn't take them fees

Old 04-22-2014, 02:02 AM
Ultimate Warrior

eBay:
Amazon: (found some Pypes pieces there too)

Old 04-22-2014, 10:31 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I usually check the paper catalog for parts and get the number before ordering online. I do like the idea of knowing if a part is in stock before ordering it.

Old 04-22-2014, 11:11 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bentwheelbob View Post

This is a great point. The first place I go to is eBay when I want a part. Ames must have half their catalog their and shipping is always a couple of bucks cheaper vs buying through their site. If PY was there for a quick check out like that! I'd certainly buy from PY first.

But then that leads to the web site here. If it were easier/faster to find parts, I'd come here first. Ames site is just as bad and the parts Place is the worst. I guess my point is that if the right part is there, I go whre it's easier to find it and faster to checkout.

Old 04-24-2014, 11:07 AM

I have been purchasing items from PY for about year now. I am restoring, little by little,
a 69 GTO. There has been only a couple items that weren't in stock when I called. Not a big deal too me but it would be convenient to see how many pieces were in stock of
a particular item.

I also agree with some of the other post as to calling in and talking to PY's knowledgeable staff. Being a first time GTO owner there
is a lot I need to learn and these guys usually have an answer or suggestion to questions I have. For example, something as simple
as speedometer cable chatter. A friend of mine who owns a number of Pontiacs told me the easiest way to get the cable seated in
the transmission gear is to remove the housing from the transmission. Some one at PY told me that after lubricating the cable and putting it back through the cable sheath attempt to seat it in the gear by pulling it out, turning it a little and pushing it back in. I had
it seated and back on the Speedo housing in 10 minutes.

Last edited by Soups; 04-24-2014 at 11:24 AM. Reason: adding information
Old 04-25-2014, 11:51 AM
Senior Chief

Very important. If it's not in stock, I do not order it. I'd rather have that information than thinking it is available, ordering it, then finding out later that it is out of stock and pictures would be nice,Pics are crucial for sales . Some places have thumbnail pictures, and those don't work either. I want to be able to compare it to what I have. :-)

1971 Grand Prix 462ci SD Performance 6x heads
1962 Catalina 389
1968 Firebird 400-455 I haven't decided

"If we ever forget that we're one nation under GOD, then we will be a nation gone under." - Ronald Reagan
Old 05-10-2014, 08:36 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Not sure if it was mentioned, but how about being able to sort by year? Would help with searching through for items needed.

65 Cat Ventura, 66 Cat Vert, 63 GP
Old 05-12-2014, 10:07 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Stock, yes very important. ALSO, if NOT in stock, HONEST delivery estimate. BTW, you guys are awesome to deal with. I always kind of like the phone order real voice thing myself....... talking to someone who knows cars is great. rock on PY....

Old 05-16-2014, 04:09 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ccass View Post
Currently our shopping cart already shows you stock status. Our problem is that the new shopping cart is very difficult to integrate with our accounting system that shows you the stock availability.
No need to integrate it, why not when we pull up the item it shows in stock or not. If it's not in stock give me the option to add it as a back order item or pass at this time.

Then return me to the previous screen.

Yes in stock/out of stock is important to me as well.

I also download a catalog first then use the part number to order. And please let us set our preferences and keep them, even for the next visit, tie it to our user name.

Over all you guys do a good job at customer service. Just the website to order is a pain.

67 Nova
64 Nova
Old 07-17-2014, 11:04 AM
Administrator

Update: The first phase of the new PY website is going live later today. This phase does NOT yet address the new online ordering system. However, we have been testing the new system all Summer and plan to implement it later in the Fall. It will include In Stock - No Stock information. Being able to rate and comment on a part is also planned.

In the meantime, I hope the new facelift holds you guys off for a bit.

Old 07-18-2014, 07:54 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I just call. The personalized service works well for me. Never used PY's online catalog or search well because it seemed slower than calling. HIS

Old 07-18-2014, 08:48 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I don't like it...nope,not 1 bit.
My GTO is not in the pictures ;o)

Old 08-28-2014, 02:36 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I'm sorry but currently I do not like your new parts website, nothing shows up, I prefer to download the catalog a shop that way. Where do you even download a catalog? It pulls up items I'm not even looking for, for only a few models??????????? Very difficult to find anything.