The Body Shop TECH General questions that don't fit in any other forum

Old 11-07-2019, 07:55 PM

Default after market door hinge pins won't seat

In the process of redoing my door hinges. Took the old pins out, blasted, painted, installed new brass bushings, then went to put in the after market hinge pins.

Took a few wacks at getting them to seat with a BFH and punch (same orientation as old pins) and they simply won't go in.

Am I missing something or are the after market pins out of spec?

Trying to beat them in is potentially going to distort the new bushings which kinda defeats the purpose....

Old 11-07-2019, 08:40 PM
Ultimate Warrior

It may depend on where you got them and if you verified any sizes. I got some from Inline Tube and they were not correct. It wasn't worth sending back and I found bushings locally.

Old 11-07-2019, 11:49 PM

Thanks, I was wondering if I was the only one having issues.

The pins go through the bushings just fine, but they won't seat in the outer hinge.

Old 11-08-2019, 05:56 PM

after closer inspection, the serrated marks on the hinge holes go about 1/2 way through the hole, while the serrated area on the replacement pins is the entire length of the hole...

Old 11-11-2019, 11:21 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Maybe you could run a drill bit through the bushings to open them up just a bit. I always have to do that when I add bushings to the Quadrajet throttle shaft holes. Mic the pins and figure out a bit that just barely clears that measurement. Just an idea...
By the way, when I re-did the hinges on my '68, I got the rebuild kit right off the rack in the red 'Help!' section of local parts store. The fit was fine.

Old 11-13-2019, 08:47 PM
Ultimate Warrior

That won't fix his issue. His pin fits the bushing fine. It's the hinge hole he has a problem with. I'm not sure I'd want to drill an original hinge hole that worked with the correct pin at one time. If you have an old bushing, measure the outside diameter of that as well as the new. I assume your new is a bit too big. Go to your local auto parts store to see what they have. I had to do just that, since Inline Tube gave me incorrect replacements.

Old 11-13-2019, 10:49 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Ah, l misread his problem. Agree, wouldn't modify a hinge to take a bushing.

Old 11-14-2019, 11:29 PM

Holes in the inner hinges for bushings are fine. Some bushings appear to be tighter than others, but big problem is serrated part of the hinge.

I MICed the serrated part of the after market pins and stock hinge holes. Never going to seat. Ordered a new set from a different manufacturer. Better fit, but still not perfect, but will work.

Makes me harken back to my days working at a tomato sauce processing plant where we had to MIC all the O-rings that were delivered. Live and learn...

Old 11-14-2019, 11:32 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by calbird68 View Post
...Makes me harken back to my days working at a tomato sauce processing plant where we had to MIC all the O-rings that were delivered. Live and learn...
Please tell me you did not drop the wrong O-rings in the paste for extra zing...