WELCOME!

Go Back   PY Online Forums - Bringing the Pontiac Hobby Together > PY Welcomes 2004-06 GTO Owners > 04-06 Interior Tech

04-06 Interior Tech Everything that goes on inside the GTO. Dash related, Upholstery related, Console related, etc.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-16-2008, 04:07 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Heads up on ignition key issue!

I went to start the car yesterday, and the ignition key was locked in the off position.....

After a little research, on LS2.com, it seems that this is a common problem, and it isn't exclusive to this car.

Removing the lock cylinder is pretty straightforward, IF you can turn the key! It took me quite a bit of finessing with various tools, but I was able to get it out. The problem is that there is a detent plunger on the switch side of the lock cylinder, and after a while, it peens a groove into the lock cylinder. When the groove gets deep enough, it locks the ignition!

Once it's out, it's about 15 minutes with the dremel tool to fix it.

There is a whole sticky article on it at LS2.com. I recommend at least inspecting it while you can turn your key, and preferably replace the cylinder while it is apart! I also modded the part that locks it into the column when the key is off, and made it so it can be removed with the key in the off position. This will make it MUCH easier next time, as I spent several hours trying to remove the thing.

Some guys on LS2.com have reported up to $1400 to repair this thing out of warranty! I'll wager that the "tech" at the dealer couldn't get the thing out, and damaged the housing trying to force it. The housing is an integral part of the steering column and the entire thing needs to be replaced!

Here is the article on how to fix it once it's out of the car......

http://kb.ls1gto.com/KB/article.aspx...2&cNode=8H6C2L

"I open up three deuces, I'm Never Coming Back!"