THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 06-08-2023, 07:46 PM
Ultimate Warrior

You guys enjoy retirement, I am not old enough to retire yet

Jon

"The most expensive carburetor is the wrong one given to you by your neighbor".

If you truly believe that "one size fits all" try walking a mile in your spouse's shoes!

Owner of The Carburetor Shop, LLC (of Missouri).

Current caretaker of the remains of Stromberg Caburetor, and custodian of the existing Carter and Kingston carburetor drawings.
Old 06-08-2023, 08:45 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Congrats! I retired at 55 after 30+ years at a very stressful job. As mentioned by many, the cost of healthcare was an eye opener. I knew it would be a factor and I budgeted for it before I retired. I've been on Obamacare the whole time (I'm now 61). Even though my wife and I's retirement income is above the maximum allowed, I still get a reduced premium (my wife has been on Medicare for a year now) due to the law since 2021 (and through 2025) that the most you have to pay for marketplace coverage premiums is 8.5% of your monthly income for the benchmark Silver plan. I'm on a Bronze plan so it's cheaper, but it's still not a small amount, but I'm thankful I'm not paying full premiums for it if I weren't using the Marketplace! No way would I have been able to afford to be retired. Anyway, look into the Marketplace is my suggestion.

Old 06-08-2023, 09:56 PM
Ultimate Warrior

For those who did not read my location, I am in Canada so medical is not an issue like the USA. But no pension so might be looking for beer cans
on the highway next year, LMAO. Well maybe in 4-5 years.

Old 06-08-2023, 10:30 PM
Ultimate Warrior

...the Full-time Med benefit coverage BCBS we chose turns out to no better than Obamacare. High deductibles!

Still have time to pay 2x/paycheck for a reduced deductible. Might just do it because wife has had a ill-spell the past week.

Old 06-09-2023, 01:03 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I just retired back in april so far it's been good. I'm still
working as I have Car Support LOL I just pic what I want
to work on and I'm going to be spending a lot of time working
on my own stuff now cause I've got about 20 project cars to do.
That will be a part of my retirement too between me and my wife
all is covered financially so I can take time off when I want to.
Thats really cool in of itself. she is drawing SS as i'm I and she works
part time to keep our inshurance. Anyhow it's been good sofar.

GT

The Following User Says Thank You to blueghoast For This Useful Post:
Old 06-09-2023, 01:23 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Congrats!
I'm 65 this year in September.
Since my 50th, I've had cancer (chemo/radiation, chemo port surgery in and out), major elbow surgery (distal bicep tears) on both elbows, 6 major right shoulder surgeries (it's now metal and plastic), numerous kidney stones (a few requiring lithotripsy) and covid...and other stuff I'm sure I've missed. I feel fine, but I'm tired and can be bit achy from time to time. I hope to retire on my 65th or by the 1st of 2024. I mentioned that to my wife (58 years old) and her reply was "what are you going to do?". I suggested that I wasn't going to wait to retire because my calendar was completely filled in. We're on her insurance (large bank, really good ins), so I'll stay on it until she retires or ?
Can't wait.

frittering and wasting the hours in an off hand way....

1969 GTO, 455ci, 230/236 Pontiac Dude's "Butcher Special" Comp hyd roller cam with Crower HIPPO solid roller lifters, Q-jet, Edelbrock P4B-QJ, Doug's headers, ported 6X-8 (97cc) heads, TKO600, 3.73 geared Eaton Tru-Trac 8.5", hydroboost, rear disc brakes......and my greatest mechanical feat....a new heater core.
The Following User Says Thank You to David Jones For This Useful Post:
Old 06-09-2023, 05:10 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Enjoy it, I had enough at 51. Been 12 nice years. Medical isn’t a problem, you just pay for it.

Just Say No To 8” Flakes

F ire B irds

🇮🇱
Old 06-09-2023, 05:16 PM

Retired six months ago at 63.

Every day is like Saturday. Not getting up early every day to head to work is the greatest thing, sleeping in whenever I want has become one of my favorite hobbies.

I have plenty of projects to keep me busy around the yard and in my garage.

Reaching the finish line with enough funds to live a comfortable life is satisfying, but be careful you don’t run out of years because you’re worrying about having enough money.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to b-man For This Useful Post:
Old 06-09-2023, 06:51 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Congratulations!!! I retired in my mid 40's after selling my engineering company. After a few years I became of LGC/builder. A little later I took over my father's company which I just turned over to my son last year. Now I am just an employee and have cut back my work week significantly. At 72, I just don't enjoy it anymore and plan on finishing up for good next year....too much to do and not enough time!

Old 06-10-2023, 02:52 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I retired at age 60 in 2021 after 42 years in the automotive industry. It took a little while to get used to not having to answer to anybody or be at any place at any time. Total freedom. Getting used to it and enjoying it. Puttered around in the shop today, cleaning the bugs and grime off of the '67 GTO after my 2700 mile road trip last month. No complaints.

Old 06-10-2023, 03:08 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I've been retired for about two years now. There are plenty of projects I could be working on, but I realized that for the first time in over 40 years there aren't any deadlines I have to meet so I'm mainly enjoying that.

The Following User Says Thank You to Stuart For This Useful Post:
Old 06-10-2023, 11:36 PM
Ultimate Warrior

5 More days to go, had to work today ( last saturday for me) so started cleaning out my stuff.
Hopefully next week goes smoothly. No Diagnosis for me, won't be there to fix it. Have 4 sick days to use or lose. LOL
Just not that type of worker. But if **** gets bad I'm out the door. I don't owe them anything. Owner is 2nd richest in Canada so
he can pay for my mistakes. LOL.

Old 06-11-2023, 01:32 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart View Post
I've been retired for about two years now. There are plenty of projects I could be working on, but I realized that for the first time in over 40 years there aren't any deadlines I have to meet so I'm mainly enjoying that.
EXACTLY, Stuart! For the first time since pre-school, no deadlines. Total freedom to do (or NOT do) things. I am mildly surprised how little I need to do, having worked very hard for decades. Taking the time to putter in the yard and prepare great meals, etc. is quite enjoyable.

Old 06-11-2023, 02:07 PM

Congratulations!! I will turn 62 in November after 42 years with the same company its time. Retiring in April 2024 looking forward to it!!!

Old 06-11-2023, 02:13 PM
Ultimate Warrior

When young I had more time than money,now seems like I have more money than time!God willing will be 79.Trying not to waste the time.Tom

Old 06-11-2023, 04:25 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom s View Post
When young I had more time than money,now seems like I have more money than time!God willing will be 79.Trying not to waste the time.Tom
As we grow older, we learn that time is our most valuable asset.

I wish all of you well that are retired or are retiring.

Jon

"The most expensive carburetor is the wrong one given to you by your neighbor".

If you truly believe that "one size fits all" try walking a mile in your spouse's shoes!

Owner of The Carburetor Shop, LLC (of Missouri).

Current caretaker of the remains of Stromberg Caburetor, and custodian of the existing Carter and Kingston carburetor drawings.
Old 06-11-2023, 06:18 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Hmmm, regarding old age and experience: Jethro mentored Moses. Moses mentored Joshua.

Younz ought take the silver years to mentor a young buck to take over your work before you punch out for good. A Re-tread, as I appear to be, am doing so, and yet I or we all wonder if we are being effective enough in handing down insights from experience.

No worries, just pick a mentee, and assume your guidance sticks. The more mentored folks you inform, the happier the women folk will be.

Old 06-12-2023, 01:07 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Did see a lot of younger generation coming up in the trade, told most of them to RUN, don't do this for a living. LOL.
Not many of them listen to me. Most just seen the dollars they could make, not the frustration, headache's, tools expense
and the Dealers flat rate system. But i did try and teach them to do the Job right whether it took longer or not. A lot of Tech's
just see money and get greedy and don't want to spend the time to teach the younger generation cuz the flat rate system
had them on a time schedule.

Old 06-12-2023, 07:18 AM
Ultimate Warrior

The younger generation is tuned for "instant gratification". Social media for the most part does that for them. Having credit cards doesn't help either, or WAY too much focus on having fun and spending money BEFORE you make it.

Everything I have here I hacked out with my own two hands. Didn't have any help and little guidance. It's just a leap of faith to be self employed, but I'm blessed to be able to do my hobby for a living for over 20 years. I'm pretty much retired at this point, just selling some parts, rebuild kits and spending the rest of my day getting to some "bucket list" projects I never had time for when the shop was open full time.

I'm getting a lot of them completed but still have quite a few left on the list. This includes the gal who delievers mail here on Saturday but I'm not sure she likes older men or not?.......LOL

Seriously, being retired is a LOT of fun and I spend every single day doing what I want to do, not hwat I have to do. Once the monkey is off your back life only gets better.......FWIW.......

73 Ventura, SOLD 455, 3740lbs, 11.30's at 120mph, 1977 Pontiac Q-jet, HO intake, HEI, 10" converter, 3.42 gears, DOT's, 7.20's at 96mph and still WAY under the roll bar rule. Best ET to date 7.18 at 97MPH (1/8th mile),
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cliff R For This Useful Post:
Old 06-13-2023, 11:50 AM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff R View Post
The younger generation is tuned for "instant gratification". Social media for the most part does that for them. Having credit cards doesn't help either, or WAY too much focus on having fun and spending money BEFORE you make it.

Everything I have here I hacked out with my own two hands. Didn't have any help and little guidance. It's just a leap of faith to be self employed, but I'm blessed to be able to do my hobby for a living for over 20 years. I'm pretty much retired at this point, just selling some parts, rebuild kits and spending the rest of my day getting to some "bucket list" projects I never had time for when the shop was open full time.

I'm getting a lot of them completed but still have quite a few left on the list. This includes the gal who delievers mail here on Saturday but I'm not sure she likes older men or not?.......LOL

Seriously, being retired is a LOT of fun and I spend every single day doing what I want to do, not hwat I have to do. Once the monkey is off your back life only gets better.......FWIW.......
It was reported that credit card debt in this country has hit one trillion dollars!! I'm sure the great majority of these people are young and spending money they don't have as you mentioned. Have you ever seen people making credit card purchases then when asked if the need a receipt for the purchase, saying they don't need it!! Instant gratification is huge and social media has replaced the credit card to some extent!! Retirement is great but younger people better start saving now unless you want to work until you pass on!!!