Old 02-03-2014, 05:59 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by boostmaster View Post
My CORRECT divider plates arrived the other day from ILT.
On the package it says it's galvanized and zinc plated. Does this mean I can forgo the green primer?
I would put them in just like that.

Old 02-03-2014, 06:56 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Goat 67 View Post
I would put them in just like that.
As Charles said. If you keep antifreeze in the system they should be fine. But if you use very little antifeese they will eventually rust. I only said about the primer as my originals look like they have that olive green zinc chromate coating on them. They had to have been coated when they were initially made. Mind you mine are rusty, but not bad enough that I can't use them. You should be safe with them as is.

Gary
Get in, ShuT Up, Hang On!
Member of the Baltimore Built Brotherhood
MY GTO built 4th Week of March 1966
"Crusin' Is Not A Crime"
Keep yer stick on the ice.
Old 02-05-2014, 10:12 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Good news. I will use them as is. This car will be a garage queen and frankly, after this winter, I'm 99.9% sure we'll be heading somewhere warmer (ie: no snow- ever!) here in the near future. Car will run antifreeze and maybe some RMI-25. http://www.rmi25.com/

So, is there any update on the CORRECT Cardone water pump part number yet?

Old 02-11-2014, 08:49 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I was hoping that we might have an update on the correct cardone part number.

Any news?

Old 02-11-2014, 09:28 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Not on my end. No answer from email yet.

Old 02-12-2014, 11:53 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Ok. No Problem. Just checking. I guess I'll wait to see if you post up and maybe check back in a few weeks... (My project is on hold but I want to make sure I get the correct part)

Old 02-12-2014, 05:00 PM
Ultimate Warrior

No answer yet from my contact up there in Philly. As he told me, he has some important things on his plate that must be done before the end of February. So it could take a couple of weeks more before I hear and answer fron him. Besides that, he has to get the people in the Dallas warehouse out searching for the correct pump.

Don't fret... I'm not giving up even if I have to up there and knock on his door at the plant. Hey, maybe they'll give me a ride in their corporate jet down there and I get to go looking for it myself. LOL

Gary
"Crusin' Is Not A Crime"
Old 02-12-2014, 05:28 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT182 View Post
No answer yet from my contact up there in Philly. As he told me, he has some important things on his plate that must be done before the end of February. So it could take a couple of weeks more before I hear and answer fron him. Besides that, he has to get the people in the Dallas warehouse out searching for the correct pump.

Don't fret... I'm not giving up even if I have to up there and knock on his door at the plant. Hey, maybe they'll give me a ride in their corporate jet down there and I get to go looking for it myself. LOL
That would be fun.

Old 03-21-2014, 05:52 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Goat 67 View Post
Here is the explanation I sent to cardone earlier.

Maybe it will help you to understand better.

Does that help?

Charles
Was there ever a final determination as to what the gap between the impeller and the plate should be? This one measures 1/4 inch.

Got this core from a friend. Has both original plates and all. Im sending it out to Arthur Gould for rebuild. Its for the 400 that Im building.

I had the one I mentioned earlier in this thread rebuilt. It came out beautiful but the impeller fins were for a 64 and very short. I sold it to a friend building a 64 motor.

Last edited by Old Blue 66; 03-21-2014 at 05:58 PM.
Old 03-21-2014, 06:27 PM
Ultimate Warrior

My opinion is the gap should be as small as you can make it. Check out Old Goat67's thread about the Cardone pump. He has a really good pic of his assembly.

George

Old 03-21-2014, 10:06 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Still no word from my contact up at Cardone in Philly. The parts store where I hang out for coffee in the morning said they'd call up there and see what they can find out. Maybe that's what it'll take to get them looking.... or a good spark injecter.

Gary
"Crusin' Is Not A Crime"
Old 07-29-2014, 03:35 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I just got my Son's '66 GTO started last weekend. Ive been working on this thing for a couple of years now in my spare time ever since it had an engine fire that did a lot of damage to it. One of the several problems it had on start up was that the water pump seemed to be leaking once the engine got hot & the pressure built up. The leak seemed to be coming from the bottom of the pump, maybe from the hole in the snout. Anyway I may be needing to replace the thing & was wondering if any progress has been made either with Cardone or finding the part number of the right impeller. I have an old pump in the garage with a cast iron impeller but I can't tell if it's the good one or not. Any help on this would be appreciated. Jerry.

Old 07-29-2014, 03:59 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I'll bet if took a picture of it with a straight edge laying across the top either Gary or Charles could inform you as to originality. If it's original I would contact Gould pumps in NY to rebuild it.

http://arthurgouldrebuilders.com/about/

Last edited by arbys; 07-29-2014 at 04:19 PM.
Old 07-30-2014, 10:24 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I'll try and get a good picture of the pump I've got & the part number of the impeller. I'll post them later this week if I can remember to get out to the garage with a camera. They say the memory is the first thing to go & I forget what the second thing is. Jerry.

Old 07-31-2014, 11:19 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I took some pictures of the old water pump I was hoping to rebuild if it has the right impeller. It looks like it was leaking from the hole at the bottom of the snout. Anyone else have that problem? I think that's where the one on my Son's car is leaking from too. I'm looking for someone in the know to tell me if my impeller is the right one to use or if I need to look for a better one. Thanks in advance for any help! Jerry.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CarPart2.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	49.8 KB
ID:	371787  

Old 07-31-2014, 11:29 AM
Ultimate Warrior

That appears to be an original pump. Is there a stamping on it?

I had great success with Aurther Gould. Im running one they rebuilt in my car right now. They do it fast too. Highly recommend it.

Old 07-31-2014, 02:06 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I took pictures of the markings but they don't seem to want to load. The impeller looks like SM5 stamped over 9793124. The pump itself has a GM2 stamp & a part number of 9782482. Jerry.

Old 07-31-2014, 03:04 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satyr1966 View Post
I took pictures of the markings but they don't seem to want to load. The impeller looks like SM5 stamped over 9793124. The pump itself has a GM2 stamp & a part number of 9782482. Jerry.
Thats a factory pump alright. Rebuild it then get the divider plate from Inline Tube.

Old 08-01-2014, 08:23 AM
Ultimate Warrior

That is NOT a factory pump.

This is.

http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=752911

Send your pump to The Flying Dutchman. http://www.fdrbp.com/
He has the correct impellers to put on them.

Charles
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0492.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	44.5 KB
ID:	372010  

Old 08-01-2014, 08:32 AM
Senior Chief

It may still be worth rebuilding Charles given the cast impeller height in that photo. As stated here, good pumps are hard to find. Don't order a Cardone Jerry. I just tried this route from Rockauto and it came with a stamped impeller. I ended up using a reman from Napa that looks similar to your photo.

Another rebuild source (from Charles) - the Flying Dutchman

http://water-pump-rebuilders.com