Old 08-19-2016, 10:58 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Those rear stainless steel divider plates are the one you have to beat on to get the correct gap. Now why in hell you have it built like it is when you know it's not correct. Or at least have the correct one made in stainless steel as an option for the correct impellers. It amazes me on how bullheaded people are when shown they are wrong in what they reproduce. Or how cheap they are in not doing that little bit extra to make a correct part. And that goes for a lot of reproduced parts from all vendors.

Gary
Get in, ShuT Up, Hang On!
Member of the Baltimore Built Brotherhood
MY GTO built 4th Week of March 1966
"Crusin' Is Not A Crime"
Keep yer stick on the ice.
Old 03-16-2017, 05:25 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default Resurrecting old thread

So, I finally got around to sending my water pump and the CORRECT backer plates to the flying dutchman. $139 + $13.60shipping to him for a total of $152.60, I got this back today:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	002.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	51.3 KB
ID:	449804   Click image for larger version

Name:	003.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	78.6 KB
ID:	449805   Click image for larger version

Name:	004.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	56.8 KB
ID:	449806   Click image for larger version

Name:	006.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	38.6 KB
ID:	449807   Click image for larger version

Name:	007.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	25.1 KB
ID:	449808  

Old 03-16-2017, 05:25 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

One more:
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	008.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	38.9 KB
ID:	449809  

Old 03-16-2017, 05:28 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Seems like .25" is what everyone was starting out with. It's essentially what I sent to them just cleaned up and painted. Not sure if I should be happy about this or not. $150.00 to get rebuild that looks exactly like what I sent out?

Am I over reacting or what?

I'm hoping the local experts here can chime in and give some opinions.

Thanks!

Old 03-16-2017, 05:42 PM
Ultimate Warrior

If he put new bearings and seals in it and all you have to do is properly clearance it. I would be happy.

Old 03-17-2017, 09:12 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by boostmaster View Post
Seems like .25" is what everyone was starting out with. It's essentially what I sent to them just cleaned up and painted. Not sure if I should be happy about this or not. $150.00 to get rebuild that looks exactly like what I sent out?

Am I over reacting or what?

I'm hoping the local experts here can chime in and give some opinions.

Thanks!
You need to get a rubber mallet and beat that thing down. The blades should just about be touching the plate. The impeller looks all wrong though. Appears as though they just rebuilt it

Old 03-17-2017, 03:28 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Did you ask him to be mindful of the clearance? I fully intended to deal with that myself upon return. I don't think he addresses that as SOP.

Work
'67 GTO Convertible "Koerner Built 413 500 hp with a Victor!.. I'll run a stock intake."
'75 Formula 400 - Daily Driver -
Running with my Home Built 455 and TH400

Details here:
http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=588372
Old 03-17-2017, 03:42 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Boostmaster, I've heard he correctly does the clearance of the divider plate for the 8 bolt pumps. Doesn't look like he bothered with yours. I don't know if your is SS or not but it looks like it seeing it's not chromate green like the originals are.

And don't bother using the SS plates. Wander has the right explanation on them. Besides that tho, they're hell to get the right contour on them seeing the rear one is flat.. not curved as it's supposed to be. Others will argue with me on that, but it's true, and it will look like it went thru a grinder when you're done. I had one and sent it back to Steve Ames 3 or 4 years ago with my complaint. He won't do a thing to fix it and make it right. Never got it back either. 45 bucks down the drain.

Gary
Get in, ShuT Up, Hang On!
Member of the Baltimore Built Brotherhood
MY GTO built 4th Week of March 1966
"Crusin' Is Not A Crime"
Keep yer stick on the ice.
Old 03-17-2017, 03:47 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Regret not getting back with you Boostmaster, could have saved you some money.

Old 03-18-2017, 09:39 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

If I knew it was just a simple rebuild I could have done something cheaper- like spending $50 to just buy a new one!!

The Flying Dutcthman told me to specifically send my backing plates (the correct ones I purchased from inline tube- as advised to do by the good folks on this thread) so that he could be sure of the clearance.

To me, it does not appear that the clearance was touched. The plates have not been modified; just returned with dirty fingerprints...

I think I may have to shoot them an email and see what they can do. I'll keep you all posted.

Last edited by boostmaster; 03-18-2017 at 10:02 AM.
Old 03-18-2017, 11:55 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by boostmaster View Post
If I knew it was just a simple rebuild I could have done something cheaper- like spending $50 to just buy a new one!!

The Flying Dutcthman told me to specifically send my backing plates (the correct ones I purchased from inline tube- as advised to do by the good folks on this thread) so that he could be sure of the clearance.

To me, it does not appear that the clearance was touched. The plates have not been modified; just returned with dirty fingerprints...

I think I may have to shoot them an email and see what they can do. I'll keep you all posted.
Yes, and please inform us of the outcome.

Old 03-27-2017, 05:35 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default Update!~

Ok gents, the water pump is back once again!

Take a look. (sorry for some blurry pics. It's late. I'll fix them later). Anyway, I am please to report that the pump is now as expected. After discovering that the listed number was having issues, I reached out via email and Wade was super responsive. I told him that I was a little disappointed with what I had received and he immediately asked to make it right-(no hemming and hawing, no excuses) - even covered some of the shipping to and from! The turn around time was fast and the service excellent. I don't think I've worked with too many vendors who have provided this level of service so I want to assure everyone here that these guys are the real deal!~
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	001.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	60.6 KB
ID:	450829   Click image for larger version

Name:	002.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	28.8 KB
ID:	450830   Click image for larger version

Name:	003.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	63.1 KB
ID:	450831   Click image for larger version

Name:	004.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	39.3 KB
ID:	450832  

Old 03-31-2017, 02:57 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Interesting thread. I wish I'd read it about 1 week ago.
I was thinking that the only issue was cast vs. stamped impellers so I chose the Gates 43122 with a cast impeller. Anyway, I noticed right out of the box that the new pump has shallower and straight across the top vanes as opposed to the curved and taller ones on the original. I considered pulling the impeller from the old one and pressing it on to the new one but it appears to have a slightly smaller shaft than the Gates unit. My pump has a 1967 mfg. date and a big 'C' cast into the face.
I'm going to run it and hold on to the old one just in case.