THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 06-07-2023, 09:26 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Retirement

Well it's coming up quick, Gave my notice Tuesday morning with final day Friday June 16. A little over 61, worked as an Auto Tech for 42 years, body is a little worn out. My mind is totally worn out. LOL. Taking the summer off then maybe do some small repairs at home, brakes, oil changes etc.. Have a 2 post hoist at home so set up for it. Gonna be a little different not having to answer to people, well except the wife. Make my own hours and Holidays.

Old 06-07-2023, 09:34 PM
Senior Chief

Congratulations!! I retired a year and a half ago as soon as I turned 62. I wish I could have done it sooner! Enjoy!!

97 F250 7.3 turbo diesel
85 CJ7 Laredo
65 Impala SS 396, 4 spd, A/C.
Old 06-07-2023, 09:44 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Congratulations. I retired completely in 2019. My wife just retired March 30 of this year. I am currently looking for a job!

Old 06-07-2023, 09:48 PM
Ultimate Warrior

FWIW, I too worked on cars all my life, as soon as people know I worked as a mechanic they always want to know if I still do side work, answer 99.9% of the time is NO. I don't need the money, and I sure don't need the headaches, or liability. I've had my own garage 2 times, and worked at dealerships as well as independent garages. My body has taken the toll, and I want to reserve what I still have left for my own purposes.....

You do what you want, but that's my answer to prospective customers.

I buy and fix trailers, and tow dollys, and sell them if I need to feel busy. Doing that I have no one that wants it yesterday, I can work on them as I see fit to.

I just ordered a 2 post 12,000 lb lift, and am going to pick it up tomorrow. I'll install it over the summer, but it's going to be for my own purposes, not for working on other peoples cars, and trucks.

BTW, I've been retired for11 years, it's working fine for me.

1984 Grand Prix

100% Pontiacs in my driveway!!! What's in your driveway?

If you don't take some of the RACETRACK home with you, Ya got cheated

The Following User Says Thank You to Sirrotica For This Useful Post:
Old 06-07-2023, 10:28 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Congratulations. The best thing you can do is set up some kind of retirement routine. I did not and find the days and years slipped by without getting much done.

66 Chevy II 461 Pontiac in AZ
The Following User Says Thank You to tooski For This Useful Post:
Old 06-07-2023, 10:30 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The advice I usually give number 1 be sure you can afford it,number 2 make sure you have things to do.Stay out of the wife’s hair.For better or worse but not for lunch!Familiarity breeds contempt!Tom

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to tom s For This Useful Post:
Old 06-07-2023, 11:15 PM
Ultimate Warrior

As far affording it, we will see. Wife has Pension and I don't so might have to live off Her, LOL. Both have a little put away so hopefully we will be ok.
Had 8 months off last year for heart surgery so had a little taste of retirement. Work has offered to take me back if I need to make income.
Not that I would go back though. Lots of jobs around here right now since Covid there is a short supply of workers. Good to hear others thought's.

Thanks.

Old 06-08-2023, 06:12 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Planning to retire in January. Just turned 56. Can't wait! Good luck to you!

The Following User Says Thank You to JSchmitz For This Useful Post:
Old 06-08-2023, 08:09 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Practiced retirement the past 3 years by working PT-Remote since Pre-Covid. Right-sized all the hobbies. Wife was used to having me home all the time.

But, the 2022 1099 Tax burden caused me to take a FT job, 2-days in office/week, 45min commute. Was an "adjustment", but at least not burnt out like some overworked coworkers seem to be.

Definitely pursue home fixins, garden, car cleanup and tuneup, and leisurely pursuits with spouse.

Old 06-08-2023, 09:17 AM
Ultimate Warrior

First congratulations on your retirement. I was forced into retirement July 1, 2013. Ten years ago now! I was 55. My employer made a package offer in conjunction with the state retirement system and "Strongly suggested" we take it. Approximately 10% of the employees took the deal, myself included. I thought I had all my ducks in a row, but I had greatly miscalculated the cost of paying 100% of the health care costs for my wife and myself out of pocket. It was absolutely shocking. We didn't meet the requirements for any of the various handouts in Obamacare. As a result, Crappy healthcare for my wife and I cost right at $25,000 a year and had a $7500.00 deductible, and a maximum $30,000 maximum out of pocket each year. It was horrible and paid for almost nothing. Now that we are both on Medicare, it's like getting a huge raise every month. Make sure your health care is what you expect at 56 years old. I also worked at home with a single lift and a nice shop. I could be working 24/7 on customer cars if I wanted to. I raised my labor rated 3 times, $10.00 an hour each time to try and slow the work down. Made no difference. Got 3-4 calls for repairs a day, every day. I would pick and choose what I want to do. Trying to do more old, collector car work than late model cars. Customers have money, the cars are nicer and they are willing to wait. As of July, 1, 2021 I formally closed my little shop. Now I just work on my stuff and family cars. Overall, you will love it and soon will not understand how you ever had time for your "regular job". Congrats and enjoy. You earned it.

Last edited by mgarblik; 06-08-2023 at 09:24 AM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mgarblik For This Useful Post:
Old 06-08-2023, 10:01 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Congratulations on retirement. We maintainers wear out our bodies long before retirement rolls around. Medical issues forced me into retirement in 2011 ( I was 49). It has taken me years to adapt to not going to work every day. Thank God my wife has always had a VERY good job or we would have starved! Tom makes a very good point about not getting too familiar with your wife. Mine was worked away from home for 23 of the last 26 years we have been married. Her actually being home through Covid has been an interesting experience. We discovered we still liked each other, but DO get on each other’s nerves occasionally.

Dr. Thomas Sowell
The Following User Says Thank You to hurryinhoosier62 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-08-2023, 10:05 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Cost of medical care is a big issue if you don't qualify for medicare. A serious illness can wipe you out.

George

Old 06-08-2023, 10:58 AM

Enjoy your retirement.

Old 06-08-2023, 11:14 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I'll be 66 this summer and I'm very close to retirement, but have not hit the trigger yet. I'm a mechanical design engineer, so my work doesn't take a toll on my body. I'm also working from home 3 - 4 days a week, which isn't that bad.

As for the guys commenting on health care costs, they are right on the money. Until very recently, my wife worked part time and was covered by my employer's health care insurance. We looked at insurance costs for individual plans and Obamacare so I could go on Medicare, and they were horrendous. Because of our income, her insurance would have costs upwards of $12 - 15K a year, with high deductibles. I had planned to retire close to 65, but insurance costs kept me working. My wife went full-time late last year, so at least I don't have to worry about keeping insurance on her now.

I am signing up for Medicare very soon. Once on Medicare, I can retire any time I like. I hit my Full Retirement Age to draw Social Security early next year, which coincides when my wife turns 65 and can sign up for Medicare. So the end is in sight.

Old 06-08-2023, 12:12 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Congratulations on reaching your goal. Sounds like you have a plan to stay busy and you will enjoy the reduced stress!

Old 06-08-2023, 12:18 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

so jealous...congrats and take it ez

'74 T/A 455 Y-code SD clone

previously on Dawson's Creek:

'74 T/A 400
'81 AMC SX/4
'69 FB 350
Old 06-08-2023, 12:23 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Nobddy has mentioned this, but medical costs can wipe you out even if you have Medicare. Medicare Part A pays for hospital costs. Medicare Part B pays 80% of everything else, but there is no maximum out of pocket. For medicine, you have to buy a Part D policy.

To avoid catastrophic costs, you can either buy a Medicare Supplement policty or enroll in a Medicare Advantage plan, and make sure you have a drug plan. Drug costs for cancer drugs are outrageous.

Quote:
Originally Posted by george kujanski View Post
Cost of medical care is a big issue if you don't qualify for medicare. A serious illness can wipe you out.

George

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to poncho-mike For This Useful Post:
Old 06-08-2023, 04:27 PM
Ultimate Warrior

^^^ this....... My wife has a supplemental policy (Medigap) to cover the Part B remainder. As mentioned she also has a drug plan (Part D) to cover medication.

She has Rheumetoid Arthritis and is on Enbrel, a tier 5 drug, (the highest expense)......... without a drug plan, the Medicare website claims the drug would cost 80K a year! With a drug plan, it's approx. 6K.

George

Old 06-08-2023, 05:04 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Congrats,I've been out for 10 yrs. and don't miss it at all.
But still do a little side work and my own vehicles.

Old 06-08-2023, 06:50 PM
Senior Chief

I would go nuts if I retired, seriously. But after a heart transplant last year, I'm back to working full time at my business. Why? Because, well, damnit I have this Pontiac addiction!

When I hit 70 in five years, then I'm hanging it up, selling my speaker business, and being a bum.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ScumOne For This Useful Post: