Old 07-03-2020, 11:09 PM

Default Starter rebuild

I have 2 starters I would like to rebuild. Yeah, I know, just get a rebuilt, bolt it on and be done with it. I'm not obsessed with the numbers matching but I like the old school and want to experience the process.
Looking for parts suppliers, part numbers and any helpful advice short of "install a high torque mini and forget about it".
I see many parts listed on ebay and other sites with Delco p/n's, but I don't have a reference. Is there a Delco-Remy parts number list available?
The units will go on '64 and '66 389 GTO engines.
p/n 1107293 6 D 5
p/n 1107355 5 D 28

Old 07-04-2020, 12:09 AM

Default Starter

Do yourself a huge favor and contact member 'stellar' on here, he really helped me out with mine.

Old 07-04-2020, 07:35 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Let me know what you need

Old 07-10-2020, 03:00 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Is everything you needed in the box?

Old 07-10-2020, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GtoFM View Post
I have 2 starters I would like to rebuild. Yeah, I know, just get a rebuilt, bolt it on and be done with it. I'm not obsessed with the numbers matching but I like the old school and want to experience the process.
Looking for parts suppliers, part numbers and any helpful advice short of "install a high torque mini and forget about it".
I see many parts listed on ebay and other sites with Delco p/n's, but I don't have a reference. Is there a Delco-Remy parts number list available?
The units will go on '64 and '66 389 GTO engines.
p/n 1107293 6 D 5
p/n 1107355 5 D 28
According to the online parts lookup database,
p/n 1107293 was used in A, B, and F body cars from 1964 to 1968
p/n 1107355 was used in A, B, and Grand Prixs from 1965 to 1969.

If your plans are to replace the brushes and bearings (and maybe the Bendix unit), I think those parts should all be fairly universal for many 1960s GM starters. You should be able to order them from a decent parts store (NAPA, Rock Auto, etc.)

Old 07-11-2020, 04:26 AM
Ultimate Warrior

If you are really going to rebuild them and not just stuff some new parts in them then you are going to have to machine the commutators and check the armatures for shorts and continuity. Either rebuild the solenoids or replace them and replace the drives. Make sure to replace the bushings on each end. After all that you still don't know how good the field coils are. In the old days I rebuilt them all the time because parts were cheap and my labor was free. Now days IF you can find quality parts they will cost you more than a rebuilt starter.

Old 07-12-2020, 11:20 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTCS View Post
Do yourself a huge favor and contact member 'stellar' on here, he really helped me out with mine.
I'd like to second that. He went above and beyond helping me out with the generator on my 62!

Old 07-12-2020, 02:38 PM

Thanks to all, especially steller, for comments and suggestions! I contacted steller and he set me up with all the parts. Very well made USA parts. The solenoid is heavy duty with larger windings to stand up to the heat. The end cap is high heat Bakelite type material, not like the black plastic the parts stores sell. The drive also has heavy duty bearings.

Again, thanks stellar and thank you BTCS for suggesting him!

The Following User Says Thank You to GtoFM For This Useful Post: